Sponsored by:

Battery maintenance in the cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2023, 08:28 AM
pwbchris
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Battery maintenance in the cold weather

Recently had some issues with a Halfords battery not being up to the job, combined probably with my naivety in thinking the battery would be ok in December when I didnt drive the scoob (bugeye wrx) for a week due to illness, and came to find a flat battery on the Monday after returning to work. Had issues with it since then (has been to the garage to check for a drain, but nothing found). So I got myself a new Bosch S5 battery the other day to (hopefully) get rid of that morning start anxiety.

I use it daily and drive around 20 mins to and from work each day, and know that its getting a good charge from that, so I'm just wondering what kind of battery maintenace do you guys regularly do, especially in the cold weather, to make sure that there are no nasty surprises?
Old 07 March 2023, 09:14 AM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I just plug mine in overnight once a month to a C-Tek Charger. Has the fittings you can put on the battery terminals once , and it's then dead easy to plug in and out. Works for my Classic which isn't used from October to the end of April and stops the alarm immobiliser from throwing a fit due to low charge.

Last edited by Flat4x4-again; 07 March 2023 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07 March 2023, 09:46 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

I had simillar issue most probably alarm drained battery.
I had bosh silver for over 7 years with aa solar panel connected all the time,panel is on rear window shelf.
Changed it for Yuasa with 5y warranty and led charging indicator,its connected to solar panel to.
Think it helps making battery working on cold night but it does not overcharge it.
Have no electrical faults etc.
Old 07 March 2023, 09:59 AM
pwbchris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006
I had simillar issue most probably alarm drained battery.
I had bosh silver for over 7 years with aa solar panel connected all the time,panel is on rear window shelf.
Changed it for Yuasa with 5y warranty and led charging indicator,its connected to solar panel to.
Think it helps making battery working on cold night but it does not overcharge it.
Have no electrical faults etc.
Is it easy to connect the AA solar charger? running cables from the inside of the car?
Old 07 March 2023, 10:11 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pwbchris
Is it easy to connect the AA solar charger? running cables from the inside of the car?
I did it when i installed my ICE system,not so easy takes some time.
You will need 5m cable as aa solar panel has approx 1m one.
Old 07 March 2023, 11:10 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Nothing if you are using it daily. Maybe consider taking a longer route home occasionally. 20 mins is barely time to get up to temp and then also with lights, heater, demister, ICE etc all running. I seldom use my car more than once a week. So I have a negative battery isolator and just disconnect the power from the battery whenever I'm not using it.
Old 07 March 2023, 11:33 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

I had mine sorned in September and November last year,no dead battery and started from first touch.
Old 07 March 2023, 11:59 AM
pwbchris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006
I had mine sorned in September and November last year,no dead battery and started from first touch.
this from using the AA solar charger hooked up that you mentioned?
Old 07 March 2023, 12:21 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Old 07 March 2023, 03:56 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pwbchris
this from using the AA solar charger hooked up that you mentioned?
Yes ,it behave like trickle charger. They say do not start a car with it attached but i never disconnect mine ,no issues at all.
The following users liked this post:
Old 07 March 2023, 06:21 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

As mentioned already, get yourself a nice CTek charger, mine was only about £55 delivered I think.
It's only the MXS 5.0 but is a brilliant charger.
During the colder months just connect it up overnight every few weeks or every month....and happy days, keeps it trickled.
Mine came from Amazon, and wouldn't be without it now....just in case.

Old 07 March 2023, 07:00 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

once a month ctek wont help You for weekly battery drain, i had same issue on winters ,most probably alarm drained power. Have no issues with aa solar panel constantly on charge. Can use 1000W ice system without worry about next week or month car start up. and it costs around 40 quid with cable. I do owe ring charger with battery maintenance mode.
Old 08 March 2023, 02:10 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Clark
I had a period of forgetting to disconnecting my battery and letting it run low due to inactivity. Then recharging it. The leaving it for long periods again. Rinse and repeat. It now only measures 12.42v fully charged. Had all sorts of weird electrical issues. From simple slow starting to ABS & alarm issues. Decided to replace it after I'd been on a long run and popped into the shops for 15mins. Unlocked the car with the remote but when I tried to start it, nothing. Not just no cranking but no power whatsoever - even clock was dead, as if battery disconnected. Tried turning the key a few times and pressing the immobiliser and eventually it turned back on and started. The whole drive back the ABS warning light and battery light would flash on after a few minutes and the alarm would start chirping. Then off. Then back on again, all whilst driving along. Engine kept going fortunately. Recharged the battery again overnight and tried it again. Same symptoms within a few yards of driving. Fitted a brand new Yuasa battery yesterday with full 12.65v. No more issues and engine hasn't ran so well in a long time.
Old 08 March 2023, 09:06 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Yuasa for the win, wicked batteries they are, worth every penny.