Notices

Battery Problem

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2008, 08:39 PM
jimmy_wrxsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Problem

Left the scoob standing for a couple of weeks and it wouldnt start other day when i got around to it. Totally dead, no alarm etc.

Got a jump start from my dads car and took her for a spin around the block for 20mins then parked her up and figured all would be ok. 20mins later started scooby all ok i thought. Not so as next day again battery dead - this time alarm worked and got the clicks but nothing else.

This time got battery charger and took battery out and charged battery on slow for about 5hrs taking off the pressure caps. Connected back up and started fine - so waited couple of hourse to test and again it wouldnt start

So this time hooked charger up to it and left it on slow charge for around 12hrs overnight. The fluid in battery was bubbling so left battery d/c from car before i had time to hook it up. 2hrs later went out and connected battery to car and wouldnt start!

Now either the battery itself is losing charge, or i have been lazy and not left the battery charging until the charger says its complete.

If its second option should the battery fluids be bubbling after just 4hrs? as i have kicked it off again tonight around 5pm and just checked now and its making a fair bit of noise as its charging. Dont want to leave it charging all night if its dangerous or anything?

Im leaning towards battery being dead and losing charge - if so where is a good place to get a new battery for the scoob?
Old 28 September 2008, 08:44 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I'd say get a new battery as they never recover too well after a full discharge. Get a higher power one and a quality brand (Bosch ?). For future reference you should ensure that you always leave the sidelights on (they go on/off with ignition, so not difficult to live with) or the fan on '1' so that there is always a small current draw. That way the 'smart' alternator will always keep the battery charged. Whilst there is no draw the alt doesn't charge the battery, so during summer when you hardly use lights, blowers, demisters etc, the battery gets very low. Come autumn when you suddenly switch all these on the battery is often on its last legs. Pop a meter across the alt terminals to check. Engine running with no electrics in use = 0V, switch on sidelights = 14.1V - guaranteed.
Old 28 September 2008, 11:00 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

New battery, but just to be safe get the alternator checked out, as if the diodes are dying, it will **** your new battery.

HTH

DunxC
Old 29 September 2008, 11:51 AM
jimmy_wrxsti
Scooby Regular

cheers for the info guys

What spec battery am i looking for? 12v 60Ah 600A?

Cant seem to find original one i had on there - the Varta D27W but from what i can find i believe the D47 is the correct Varta battery for mine?

Last edited by jimmy_wrxsti; 29 September 2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 29 September 2008, 07:28 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I got a calcium battery from Halfords. it was a Sunday, but they were also the cheapest decent one I could find!

DunxC
Old 29 September 2008, 07:39 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dunx
I got a calcium battery from Halfords. it was a Sunday, but they were also the cheapest decent one I could find!

DunxC
I'll second that, great battery with a 4-year warranty.