Sponsored by:

Rusted inner wheel arch

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2023, 06:48 PM
Alib
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusted inner wheel arch

Hi guys. Got 2005 blobeye 18 months ago and whilst changing the tyre today I got a nasty shock. The inner rear wheel arch is paper thin with rust, to the point where I could put my finger through. Is this fixable with a cut out and weld and if so anyone know a rough cost, or is there more work to do? The other side seems fine so hoping the rust isn't rampant!

Old 05 March 2023, 04:31 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Oh dear! Same old story I'm afraid. Sure it's only what you can see and not much, much higher up inside the wheel arch too? I could only find it on mine with a camera phone extended way up inside, and it was the double skin facing into the inside, not the outer part. As mine was there, I saved money by stripping out the interior before handing it over to the welding torch.
Old 05 March 2023, 04:52 PM
Alib
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nicam49
Oh dear! Same old story I'm afraid. Sure it's only what you can see and not much, much higher up inside the wheel arch too? I could only find it on mine with a camera phone extended way up inside, and it was the double skin facing into the inside, not the outer part. As mine was there, I saved money by stripping out the interior before handing it over to the welding torch.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed as nothing on the outside, and done a little digging around but it's what hidden away that scares me! Going to take it to the garage tomorrow to get an idea of what the damage might be. Any ideas of what sort of cost welding/fabricating costs to repair the arches?
Old 05 March 2023, 06:30 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Hmm, depends if it needs new arches then it's paint too. Mine was purely weldng on a patch, and cost around £230.

Last edited by nicam49; 06 March 2023 at 01:19 AM.