Sponsored by:

Scared of ownership without garage

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2023, 09:25 AM
oliw123
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scared of ownership without garage

Hi all, I’m in the market for a JDM impreza. Now I’ve nearly reached the old age of 30 😳 and want to buy my dream car. Ever since I ever set eyes on one when I was younger I knew I had to have one later in life. Now I have a BMW M140i which I keep out on the street in-front of my house. I have a disklok on and an outdoor light, neighbour has cctv etc. I’m just very anxious about owning an Impreza without a garage. Is any one else in the same boat and had an Impreza without a garage and what security measures would you all recommend? Cheers

Last edited by oliw123; 28 February 2023 at 09:42 AM.
Old 28 February 2023, 09:34 AM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

Thieves are more interested in the newer premium cars nowadays.
Vandals may be an issue if you have an obnoxious exhaust and drive like a ****.
It all depends on where you live I guess. I wouldn't worry about parking on the street where I am.
The following users liked this post:
Old 28 February 2023, 10:10 AM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Only joyrider chav types seem to go after scoobies if you live in that type of area, a disclok would certainly put most people off.
Range Rovers, X5’s Executive BMW and Mercedes seem to get targeted the most, most likely to strip or to send abroad.

Last edited by silver-sub; 28 February 2023 at 10:12 AM.
Old 28 February 2023, 11:07 AM
djpauloakley
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by oliw123
Hi all, I’m in the market for a JDM impreza. Now I’ve nearly reached the old age of 30 😳 and want to buy my dream car. Ever since I ever set eyes on one when I was younger I knew I had to have one later in life. Now I have a BMW M140i which I keep out on the street in-front of my house. I have a disklok on and an outdoor light, neighbour has cctv etc. I’m just very anxious about owning an Impreza without a garage. Is any one else in the same boat and had an Impreza without a garage and what security measures would you all recommend? Cheers
I've owned 5 had 1 stolen back in the day, they don't seem to be a top target anymore but it's always a risk with any car. Just do what you gotta do and enjoy
Old 03 March 2023, 08:12 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

No garage for 7 years with a spec c hatch here. Your enemy is more likely to be the weather than theft. Theft can be prevented.
Old 03 March 2023, 08:25 AM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
No garage for 7 years with a spec c hatch here. Your enemy is more likely to be the weather than theft. Theft can be prevented.
Exactly this, had mine 8 yrs parked on the rd and never been tampered with but been damaged twice by the weather, once a run away wheelie bin hit and dented the passenger side wing and on another occasion strong winds dislodged a neighbour's roof slates and one them landed edge side down on the roof and dented it, wasn't a happy chappy
Old 04 March 2023, 09:55 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Oli i went from a BMW to an Impreza, my previous car was an M2, i just wanted to go back to a car that i felt like it was me driving it and not the technology doing a lot of the work, your more engaged and connected with the older cars. As for parking it on your drive, one thing that is cheap these days is CCTV, get a couple of cameras which is a really good visual deterrent, you can put a small sign up too saying your property is protected by CCTV. A disklok is obviously another good visual deterrent, if their is space on your drive another car like a run around is good to block the Subaru in, i'd say those are the basics. As for looking after it the car will be fine with a regular wash and wax, wipe WD40 over the underside components of the car, the parts that can have surface corrosion etc as it will help a lot with that. You can't live life worrying what may or may not happen, as long as you take some measures like some of the above just enjoy the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by The Joshua Tree:
Old 29 March 2023, 02:16 AM
oliw123
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys. It’s put my mind at ease a little now and just gonna get the car and stop worrying 😅 like you say they seem to target the European cars nowadays. I have a disklok on and neighbour has cctv so should be good.

Yea love the look of the m2 but I’m the same the Imprezas are just so raw and have so much character. that’s what I love about them. Thanks again all 🙏😁