Rear discs fitted

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2022, 08:00 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Rear discs fitted

Hi all,

2007 STi. Got two rear discs in the week, so fitted them today.

Due to the corrosion / rust on the small inner plate that sits behind the handbrake shoes - not the large backing plate, the job was a nightmare. The discs would get stuck even though the handbrake was wound back pretty far on the adjuster cog.
I wire brushed it the best I could, and bashed it back a bit as it was looking a bit blown here and there if that makes sense? but the new discs were rubbing a bit when I took it out.

The rubbing noise has pretty much gone after only several miles and some sharp left and right turns to load up each side, so hopefully the new discs will be ok.

They are genuine Brembo.
My old discs didn't rub, but I guess the corrosion on the plate and those discs went together - the new discs were rubbing on the lumpy corroded surface, so hence made a noise, but hopefully will bed themselves in to their new (pretty rusty) home?

Has anyone else had this when fitting new discs to the rear? I torqued up the wheel nuts to about 90-95nm, but I hope my wheels are bolted onto the hub nice and true if that makes sense?

The old discs were Blueprint brand, and were on there for about 7 years - 40k miles on them at a guess.
Old 01 May 2022, 12:16 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Ok, so it wasn't the corrosion on the handbrake backing plate rubbing on the inner weather lip of the disc I could hear, it was the handbrake shoes catching on the disc.

Just about managed to get the discs off, the only witness marks I could see was that the handbrake shoes were rubbing.
Basically, no matter how I adjusted the handbrake, it caused problems. Pretty much only one shoe would move (at best)

I've been having handbrake issues for about 3 years, here's why :

The bottom area where the handbrake assembly adjuster is is so blown / crumbling that the adjuster and the whole handbrake mechanism is pushed out of alignment, thus just won't work properly. Any efforts to bash it all back to shape and treat with rust treatment would be futile, it's way too far gone

So, I've now removed the entire handbrake assembly altogether, it was crusty, but I've hung onto it in separate bags for each side for what it's worth.

I only need this below for both sides, but to get it on will also entail smashing out the rear bearings to get the hub off to allow fitment??

https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/par...te&searchPart=

The following users liked this post: