ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Gearbox blown 3rd gear noise and constant rattle

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2022, 11:33 PM
Smithygb270
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox blown 3rd gear noise and constant rattle

Hi I think 3rd gear on my 2007 2.5 5 speed box in my gb270 saloon has sheerd cogs or blown or something is this something that if gearbox is removed I can have repaired or is it a new box and roughly what am looking at in terms of money to fix this any info would be really appreciated thanks
Old 24 April 2022, 05:46 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

unlucky ☹️ they will only know the damage when it’s stripped , unfortunately the wrx boxes are a bit of a weakness , there are used ones out there, ie ebay for 300 £ or so upwards , the downside is will an unknown used box go the same way , refurb ones are a bit more 1300 £ or so , i don’t know where you are based , i would ask who ever services your car or ask others who is good in your area and give them a call 👍
Old 25 April 2022, 02:48 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I feel your pain! 2 years ago the same thing happened to me and I had to park the car up for 12 months when sorting out a solution. I spent a lot of time researching my options so I feel I am in a good position to offer some advice.

My first consideration was getting a new box from the dealer. This would have been about £2500 but after a lot of ringing around and a very helpful service manager who almost got his hands on one, it turned out there were none available and Subaru do not build them anymore.

The only other 2 options where to buy blind or remove and repair the one in the car. I took a punt on buying a box from ebay for around £400, I had it in storage for some time before having the available funds to have it fitted. The real cost comes from fitting, you can pay in the region of £300 to £400 in labour depending on where you go, but you also need to factor in the extras such as drive shaft seals, gear oil and of course a new clutch. A standard Exedy clutch is in the region of £280, oil maybe £60 and about £20 on seals, if my memory serves me correctly. While at it, you may as well have the rear diff oil switched out at the same time as it shouldn't cost any more really, just have to make sure you have enough oil for both jobs.

As I was having so much done I also went down the road of a new timing belt, water pump, oil pump, oil, water, filters and spark plugs. It was a very big bill it has to be said!!

The used box works perfectly thankfully, but I am well aware I could be in the position again in the future, so I have kept my old box and will at some point be having it opened to see what the damage really is. If it's not silly money, I will get it rebuilt and keep it as a spare for the future. I have owned the car since new though and have no intention of getting rid of it, so it is all an investment for me.

Feel free to ask any questions if you have any, will help as much as I can.

Ian
Old 26 April 2022, 08:02 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

other option would be convert to 6 speed , not sure how much it will all cost , but the boxes are much stronger , diff and i think drive shafts need changing , not sure what else needs doing but it appears a mod people do , if i did stay with a 5 speed i would rebuild what you have as you won’t know what you are buying ,unless subaru are now selling new five speed boxes , partsouq or mezazip list lots of bits , so worth doing it correct first time 👍
Old 26 April 2022, 08:09 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

just looked on line they are available but are £££ 6k must be cheaper ones out there👍
Old 26 April 2022, 12:44 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
just looked on line they are available but are £££ 6k must be cheaper ones out there👍
Crazy money considering you can buy a whole care for that much!

Part of the reason I went on a punt for a used box with my old box ready for repair as a future back up.
Old 28 April 2022, 10:56 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Stop using the gearbox to slow down, they dont take it, use ya brakes.