Sponsored by:

Sound on idle

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2022, 04:57 PM
Huzaifa
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Sound on idle

I know these engines make a lot of noise but I’ve only just discovered what sounds like a tapping/tinning sound coming from the left side of the engine (passenger side) and is noticeably louder when parked up next to a wall or a car is next to me. You can hear it in the background. Sound odd or am I just being paranoid? Oil level is fine and still drives great…

Last edited by Huzaifa; 26 February 2022 at 05:01 PM.
Old 27 February 2022, 11:24 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

it’s difficult to tell , to me it’s not sounding that loud , is the car running ok , when you rev it are you getting a bit of bottom end rattle , have you a leaking exhaust gasket , does the noise get quieter when its warmed up , it can sometimes seal a small exhaust leak when every thing warms up and expands , any whooshing boost leak noise , last oil change done when or is oil fairly fresh , is there enough oil in it , had a car at work eml came on , it was a knock sensor , oil was low but no light on , topped up oil been fine since , the engines can be a bit noisy any way 👍
The following users liked this post:
Old 28 February 2022, 02:18 AM
Huzaifa
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
it’s difficult to tell , to me it’s not sounding that loud , is the car running ok , when you rev it are you getting a bit of bottom end rattle , have you a leaking exhaust gasket , does the noise get quieter when its warmed up , it can sometimes seal a small exhaust leak when every thing warms up and expands , any whooshing boost leak noise , last oil change done when or is oil fairly fresh , is there enough oil in it , had a car at work eml came on , it was a knock sensor , oil was low but no light on , topped up oil been fine since , the engines can be a bit noisy any way 👍
Thanks for reply mate. The car is running perfectly well as its always done. There is no rattle when I rev it even though it’s hard to tell because the exhaust is loud. I’ve done about 2000 miles since the last oil change and it’s still fully topped up. It’s just that loud tapping sound which has got me worried but it may just be me being paranoid I guess
Old 28 February 2022, 03:25 AM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

Classic case of Subaru paranoia. We all suffer from it.Serious cases convince themselves the engine is about to go bang.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dave Y:
Old 28 February 2022, 11:18 AM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Y
Classic case of Subaru paranoia. We all suffer from it.Serious cases convince themselves the engine is about to go bang.
Haha yes went through this and in the end it was just a loose heat shield!