My Subaru and Ice

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2022, 09:29 PM
BrokenSpring
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My Subaru and Ice

Soooooo bad news for me.

I had a really great condition 2005 WRX300 Subaru Impreza on 80k.
I was driving to work yesterday morning and hit some snow and ice on a back road doing 50. Lost the back end and car spun hitting all the corners on the trees and grass destroying all 4 corners..... Doors untouched though . Bonnet bumpers boot all gone and rear wheels seem very wonky.
Still runs and drives with no issue.
Anyway car is being classed as unrepairable and being taken by copart on Monday.
Has anyone had any experience with write offs recently with insurance?
Am I likely to get any money for it or better to try sell private?

Problem is I need a car for work asap, so can't just part it out over next few months to get some decent money back.

So gutted, it's been the absolute best car I've ever owned, so much fun, reliable, fits the family.

Worst thing is I wasn't even razzing it about, just trundling along going to work

Second worst thing is I moved some Hawthorne/Blackthorn bushes off the road after accident and got lots of thorns in my hand. Now 3 of my fingers are in agony and infected
Old 07 January 2022, 09:43 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Oh ****!!!!! Pics of the car! And your fingers.
Old 07 January 2022, 11:56 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Gutted for you mate.
Old 08 January 2022, 07:49 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

sorry to hear about your bad luck , you can sometimes buy a car back off the insurance , you could then break it for parts , as you are the only vehicle involved and no other party to deal with it should be quicker to deal with , councils fault ? any one else to blame ?
Old 08 January 2022, 08:11 AM
BrokenSpring
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
sorry to hear about your bad luck , you can sometimes buy a car back off the insurance , you could then break it for parts , as you are the only vehicle involved and no other party to deal with it should be quicker to deal with , councils fault ? any one else to blame ?
I am definitely a super sad panda.
Just trying to work out what the best way is to get at least something fair for it so i can buy my next one or something half decent to get me to work.
maybe try get a bug wagon so can move my bike about.
dammm hawthorn bushes are anooying, my fingers are killing.
Old 08 January 2022, 09:34 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

are you fully insured or 3rd party only??

if full comp then you will get a pay out bu like most of the 'sharks' sorry I mean Insurance operatives they will low ball you initially........
do some research on similar age / condition cars and have a good idea of the real world value of your car

if you are 3rd party then Copart will be charging you for removal, storage, etc.........
Old 08 January 2022, 09:52 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

if comp , then never accept first offer from insurance , have a few like cars saved on email so you can say to insurance what your old car is worth , buy a like model , see if you can buy the old busted car back break it and use it for spares 👍
Old 08 January 2022, 11:50 AM
BrokenSpring
Scooby Regular

Luckily I'm fully comp so in theory can argue the case for a better value.
AViva won't give me a value till copart take it and value it so I'm kinda stuck with no option but then taking it.

Old 08 January 2022, 04:02 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

dont let them take it until a pay out is agreed - the car is still technically yours until you agree to it being written off and agreed payout - once they have the car you are at their mercy

insurance are ***** just argue the point, show prices of similar priced cars for sale (and sold via ebay completed auctions) etc and as mentioned do not under any circumstance accept their first offer no matter what they tell you

Last edited by Gambit; 08 January 2022 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08 January 2022, 05:41 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, don’t let them take it away until you agree a price.
I hit a deer in my BMW a couple of years ago. I knew it was a write off straight away. The insurance assessor actually valued it a grand higher than I was expecting. I bought it back and fixed it up using second hand parts and it still going - almost a free car lol
Old 08 January 2022, 06:24 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Sorry to hear bad news.

As a vulture can I ask what condition your boot side carpets are in and would you sell them before the car is taken?

Old 08 January 2022, 09:23 PM
BrokenSpring
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Sorry to hear bad news.

As a vulture can I ask what condition your boot side carpets are in and would you sell them before the car is taken?

. I will try to get in there. The interior is in perfect condition. Problem is boot is fully stuck and don't think I can fit through the "ski" hole...... I wonder if I can send my 4 year old in there???
I'm almost definitely buying the car back to part out some bits, so if I can't get it now will do once it's back.

Problem is Aviva say they can only give me a value once copart have the car and have valued it. No way to agree value beforehand. So I'm kinda stuck.
Old 09 January 2022, 11:27 AM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BrokenSpring
. I will try to get in there. The interior is in perfect condition. Problem is boot is fully stuck and don't think I can fit through the "ski" hole...... I wonder if I can send my 4 year old in there???
I'm almost definitely buying the car back to part out some bits, so if I can't get it now will do once it's back.

Problem is Aviva say they can only give me a value once copart have the car and have valued it. No way to agree value beforehand. So I'm kinda stuck.
There's no way I would let some third party take away the car. Its your car not Aviva's. If Aviva's agent takes your car away and you don't agree with the valution I would imagine that you would get charged "storage" until you agree.
Get the car to your home and tell Aviva to send an assessor round, you need to play hardball with Aviva otherwise you'll get ripped off.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09 January 2022, 12:20 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by pacenote
There's no way I would let some third party take away the car. Its your car not Aviva's. If Aviva's agent takes your car away and you don't agree with the valution I would imagine that you would get charged "storage" until you agree.
Get the car to your home and tell Aviva to send an assessor round, you need to play hardball with Aviva otherwise you'll get ripped off.
This is some good advice.

What Aviva have said to you previously just doesn't seem right.
Old 09 January 2022, 05:10 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Sorry to hear about this, did you have a courtesy car on your cover, yeh don't let them have the car until your 100% happy with that's being offered. I know you probably don't feel good at the min, come back bigger and better.
Old 09 January 2022, 07:20 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Give Matty @MB Developments a shout. He was breaking a blob recently and you could reshell yours.
The following 2 users liked this post by NOSSY_89:
Old 10 January 2022, 08:45 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-sub
Gutted for you mate.
+1 😢
Old 10 January 2022, 11:36 AM
BrokenSpring
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Joshua Tree
Sorry to hear about this, did you have a courtesy car on your cover, yeh don't let them have the car until your 100% happy with that's being offered. I know you probably don't feel good at the min, come back bigger and better.
Thank you all for the kind words. Still gutted for sure but am hopefull i can at least a decent price for it. Have found 2 listed on ebay for 13-15k so going to spemd the rest of the day arguing with them now.
Caught a lucky break too, Copart sent a huge 6 car truck to get the car even though i told them im on super tight roads and a bin lorry barely fits down..... idiots.

I was keeping this one full standard as it was a wrx300. But think i may just go ***** out and try get a estate and have fun modding.
Old 10 January 2022, 02:55 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Thank you all for the kind words. Still gutted for sure but am hopefull i can at least a decent price for it. Have found 2 listed on ebay for 13-15k so going to spemd the rest of the day arguing with them now.
Caught a lucky break too, Copart sent a huge 6 car truck to get the car even though i told them im on super tight roads and a bin lorry barely fits down..... idiots.

I was keeping this one full standard as it was a wrx300. But think i may just go ***** out and try get a estate and have fun modding.
gb270 Hawkeye estates are nice imo 👌
seen some really nice examples back in day when the airbags were recalled at the dealers owned by elderly folk
Old 12 January 2022, 11:06 AM
BrokenSpring
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZANY
gb270 Hawkeye estates are nice imo 👌
seen some really nice examples back in day when the airbags were recalled at the dealers owned by elderly folk
I am hoping to find a bug or blob version. But know nothing about them. Do they drive and handle the same?

Update... CoPart arrived in a 7 car transporter to get the car after i advised them and aviva my roads barely fit a bin lorry. So pushed hard back at aviva.
They have now instructed Solus to contact me and asses the damage from the photos ive sent and assess the value.
Progress.... wooo, fingers crossed for a reosanable offer, that i am absolutely going to argue against.
Old 12 January 2022, 11:26 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

the offer from insurance company , i heard argue it once but not twice if that makes sense , but that’s why i said above , have your proof of value ie ebay or auto trader prices ready to send off 👍
Old 12 January 2022, 11:27 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

forgot to mention ask for a buy back price is you are going to break it yourself , it’s a shame not to use the parts on a good car rather than have it crushed
Old 12 January 2022, 12:59 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
the offer from insurance company , i heard argue it once but not twice if that makes sense , but that’s why i said above , have your proof of value ie ebay or auto trader prices ready to send off 👍
@BrokenSpring argue it as many times as you like... what are they going to do? withdraw any offer? tell them youre willing to get the ombudsman involved if you think they are being unreasonable

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org....ons-write-offs
Old 12 January 2022, 01:46 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Gambit
@BrokenSpring argue it as many times as you like... what are they going to do? withdraw any offer? tell them youre willing to get the ombudsman involved if you think they are being unreasonable

This, argue till your as blue in the face as the scooby, send them comparable cars from every site you can find them on, auto trader, ebay, gumtree, schpock, Facebook and when those cars don't have the parts you do price them up too. Everytime they say its not worth that send them more. They offered me 1400 for my bugeye, ended up with 4k and keeping the car (1900 buy back, 100 less than the car originally cost me lol) after arguing with them for about 2 weeks This is where I know what I've got is valid lol
The following 2 users liked this post by MrRtm:
Old 12 January 2022, 03:06 PM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Gambit

Mate of mine had his Porsche Cayenne written off and they offered him a price thousands below it's true value, he eventually got the ombudsman involved and he ended up getting way more then what he was a expecting at the end of it.
Old 12 January 2022, 03:46 PM
BrokenSpring
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRtm
This, argue till your as blue in the face as the scooby, send them comparable cars from every site you can find them on, auto trader, ebay, gumtree, schpock, Facebook and when those cars don't have the parts you do price them up too. Everytime they say its not worth that send them more. They offered me 1400 for my bugeye, ended up with 4k and keeping the car (1900 buy back, 100 less than the car originally cost me lol) after arguing with them for about 2 weeks This is where I know what I've got is valid lol
Yes i am going to stick to my guns and argue my case as much as i can.
End of the day i need a replacement car, and only way i can have the same one is if they pay me the correct value.
Old 12 January 2022, 03:58 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

The reason i heard about the second offer is , it can go out of the insurance company remit to deal as it gets escalated and they pay out takes a lot longer , it came from the helpful chap who repaired my ute after an old dear crashed into 👍 not interfering if you want to take it further just saying it may drag on , mine took a long time to sort until i produced the dash cam 😁
Old 20 January 2022, 10:36 PM
BrokenSpring
Scooby Regular

Well good news, seems they have seen sense and have valued it as an actual WRX300.

So now i need to decide if i keep it for the 30% buyback and try repair, with them classing it as a Cat S or just send it to the scapper and get full value . Absolutely no idea what to do.

How do the Blob estates perform\drive compared to the standard 2004-5 cars?

Last edited by BrokenSpring; 20 January 2022 at 10:39 PM.
Old 20 January 2022, 11:37 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

way up the value of it as parts v what they/ you are paying for it , an engine is a few k , i would not be putting it back on the road , it’s just the parts value
Old 21 January 2022, 11:02 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Well good news, seems they have seen sense and have valued it as an actual WRX300.

So now i need to decide if i keep it for the 30% buyback and try repair, with them classing it as a Cat S or just send it to the scapper and get full value . Absolutely no idea what to do.

How do the Blob estates perform\drive compared to the standard 2004-5 cars?
Given the amount of damage bodywise i wouldnt try and repair it - itll cost way too much

but if as said by @Vxr2010 parts can be swapped over which if in total they have value of more than 30% then buy it back and do so, then scrap it yourself

Quick Reply: My Subaru and Ice