Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2022, 03:58 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts
Default STi air duct hose

Will this fit a 2008 GRB?
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/?id=2164
I had it fitted to my previous Forester STi without issues although it's not listed for it.
The OEM pat number for the IC hose for both the Forester (SG9) as well as the GRB is 21869AA121 and based on the fact that the STi silicon hose fitted the SG9, I guess it will fit the GRB.

Could someone confirm this?
Thanks!
Old 16 February 2022, 04:35 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

It seems it's 4mm too short in length.
Old 17 February 2022, 11:58 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

the Fsti one is 70mm internal and 50mm length , you can have around 55 mm length with no issues , you can buy an any colour one on ebay for around 6£ delivered , which is what i’ve just done on both of my Fsti ones , in the add there is a section to ask any questions 👍
Old 18 February 2022, 09:49 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

The STi one is 46mm in length and although it fitted fine in my previous FSTI, I remember it needed a slight persuasion.
The advantage of the STi hose (vs 'any' aftermarket silicone hose) is that it's reinforced so it won't collapse/shrink under boost.
This was a known issue in my previous Abarth where people fitted silicone hoses which shrunk under boost creating a restriction to the air flow.
It's much less likely to happen in the Subaru due to its short length but personally I'd avoid any non reinforced hose.
Old 18 February 2022, 10:29 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

The standard Fsti ones are slightly too short , so you either get a gap on the throttle or intercooler side , so a bit longer works well, the secret to fitting is put the pipe on the throttle body first , then slide the intercooler on , much easier to fit , the ones i found on ebay were three layered re enforced and good for 2.5 bar , the pipes won’t collapse as the run is too short as it’s supported either end 👍
The following users liked this post:
Old 18 February 2022, 10:50 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by fpan
The STi one is 46mm in length and although it fitted fine in my previous FSTI, I remember it needed a slight persuasion.
The advantage of the STi hose (vs 'any' aftermarket silicone hose) is that it's reinforced so it won't collapse/shrink under boost.
This was a known issue in my previous Abarth where people fitted silicone hoses which shrunk under boost creating a restriction to the air flow.
It's much less likely to happen in the Subaru due to its short length but personally I'd avoid any non reinforced hose.
The hose in question is on the pressurised side of the air inlet system so is unlikely to "collapse" unless under extreme vacuum but it "may" burst under high boost.
The following users liked this post: