Sponsored by:

How is this NOT a thing? Fuel by RON

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2021, 10:28 PM
Gilesdwrc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is this NOT a thing? Fuel by RON

Not a regular poster but I have to Vent to people who might understand...

Why the FRACK isn't there a list of fuel brands sorted by Premium RON??

Just Changed from a 2011 STi with a Pro R pack which called for 97 RON+ I used BP Ultimate for various reasons (mostly availability and Nectar points back in the day...)

Now in a 2015 STi which (despite producing 30hp less) is asking for 98 RON+... I know V-power is 99 now (was it 98?) and Tesco has 99 But Shell is not close and I've had the hump with Tesco for years (from a farming family and they do their best to screw all their suppliers)

Esso have it (October last) but does anyone else? trying to find info is like a state secret online. unless I stop at each garage and check physically.
Old 24 August 2021, 11:39 PM
Tim_
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Esso supplies Tesco, so that’s why those are generally common.

Other than checking local pumps it’s going to be hard, Co-op are 97RON, what’s the local ones to you?

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-unleaded.html
Old 25 August 2021, 08:35 AM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

Have to say I am lucky to have lots of Shell garages around here so dont have this issue, but yes it can be annoying finding this information out and separating the BS from the facts

I think it was 98 before when it was Optimax, BP ulimate has never done well in any of my cars I have to say. Total is 97 from memory so same as BP.

Last edited by Rusti; 25 August 2021 at 08:37 AM.
Old 25 August 2021, 10:12 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Could you have it mapped on the fuel you have access to most of the time (97RON)?

I did this myself with an old bugeye, because I was fed up with trying to find unicorn poop shell optimax (back in those days) when out and about.
Old 25 August 2021, 10:19 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

It says on the pump, no?

BP Ultimate says it's 98.
"About BP Ultimate UnleadedBP has perfected our innovative formulation – based on patented technology – to produce BP Ultimate Unleaded 98, our best ever dirt-busting petrol. In fact, BP Ultimate Unleaded 98 busts dirt in just 2 tanks! *
BP Ultimate Unleaded is our most advanced petrol with a minimum octane number of 98 and a formulation designed to bust the dirt in your engine and restore performance."
This maybe a recent change.

Otherwise Shell, Tesco, Esso.

If you look at google maps for petrol stations, then open the station website, it should tell you which fuels they have.

What petrol stations do you have near by? Or where are you?

Last edited by TECHNOPUG; 25 August 2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 25 August 2021, 12:34 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Can you not message each fuel provider and ask them.
Old 25 August 2021, 02:25 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

as long as its not regular fuel then in general terms any "super" unleaded fuel is good to go.....

preference would be Shell / Tesco 99

Last edited by stockcar; 25 August 2021 at 02:28 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 25 August 2021, 04:05 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

as above it can be re mapped to 97 , my mapper said don’t use BP , if choice of petrol around you is limited then not much you can do , he said much better shell or tesco momentum 👍 , a re map will give you quite a lot more power plus often better fuel economy and a better map than subaru did from the factory
Old 25 August 2021, 07:21 PM
Gilesdwrc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
It says on the pump, no?

BP Ultimate says it's 98.
"About BP Ultimate UnleadedBP has perfected our innovative formulation – based on patented technology – to produce BP Ultimate Unleaded 98, our best ever dirt-busting petrol. In fact, BP Ultimate Unleaded 98 busts dirt in just 2 tanks! *
BP Ultimate Unleaded is our most advanced petrol with a minimum octane number of 98 and a formulation designed to bust the dirt in your engine and restore performance."
This maybe a recent change.

Otherwise Shell, Tesco, Esso.

If you look at google maps for petrol stations, then open the station website, it should tell you which fuels they have.

What petrol stations do you have near by? Or where are you?
  • Check that link... https://www.bp.com/en_au/australia/home/products-services/fuels/bp-ultimate-fuels/bp-ultimate-unleaded.html#
  • UK is 97 RON... "bp Ultimate Unleaded has a higher octane (97 RON minimum) than the minimum 95 RON required by law for petrol in the UK. "
  • And the Company websites were what I was bemoaning...
Old 25 August 2021, 07:32 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

So it is, that's odd.

Don't use BP then (I never do as the only one near me is much more expensive than all the others).
Old 25 August 2021, 07:58 PM
Tim_
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

One of the problems I find isn’t what RON rating the brand is but whether the Petrol station actually has any. I go to a few places where there’s an Esso or Co-op for example but they only sell 95
Old 25 August 2021, 09:21 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Esso super is ethanol free from most forecourts (despite it saying E5; the BS standards for super unleaded does not require ethanol but they still have to label it as E5, unlike normal unleaded which must contain ethanol). Very good for vehicles that use natural rubber hoses, steel tanks and brass/aluminium in the fuel system.

All the other brands have a minimum of 5% ethanol.

https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol

Last edited by ALi-B; 25 August 2021 at 09:25 PM.
Old 26 August 2021, 10:55 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Maximum of 5% ethanol or 10% if E10. Not minimum.

I used to eclusively use Shell Optimax or whatever they were calling their 99 RON fuel at the time. I was doing 600+ miles a week, so it was a good deal when the Shell rewards were cash coupons based on how much fuel you bought - was getting £30-£50 each quarter. Then they changed it to how often you visited a Shell garage and bought crap from the shop, so I don't bother with Shell anymore (unless I urgently need fuel and they are the best option). I just use Tesco as it's the closest one to me as they have Momentum. I also shop there and occasionally they have deals where if you spend X in store, they give you a voucher for 10p a litre off fuel. Which is handy when the Missus' Porsche has a 100l tank....
Old 26 August 2021, 04:20 PM
Gilesdwrc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tim_
One of the problems I find isn’t what RON rating the brand is but whether the Petrol station actually has any. I go to a few places where there’s an Esso or Co-op for example but they only sell 95
True 'dat..

3 times in the past I've driven in to a 'non local' BP garage with "ULTIMATE" branding all over the joint and they only sell regular 95 but "We have Ultimate Derv"... like that would make a difference.