Sponsored by:

Tesco momentum?

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2010, 11:01 PM
Cd09
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tesco momentum?

Has anyone tryed that tesco momentum yet, i herd that its a tesco 99 rebrand, but im not sure. Ive been using it insted of V-power because my shell garage never seems to have it at the moment. Can anyone els comment on it. Personaly as far as i can tell the car dont mind it too much, and still pulls like a train.
Old 17 June 2010, 11:08 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cd09
Has anyone tryed that tesco momentum yet, i herd that its a tesco 99 rebrand, but im not sure. Ive been using it insted of V-power because my shell garage never seems to have it at the moment. Can anyone els comment on it. Personaly as far as i can tell the car dont mind it too much, and still pulls like a train.
i went to my tescos to put 99 ron in and saw this went in and i asked have you any 99 ron fuel only 95 superunleaded non off the assistants did not know what fuel they where selling i said **** that not putting nought here in here no reaction dont give a **** attitude what is it anyway momentum
Old 17 June 2010, 11:10 PM
mbd sti2
Scooby Regular

its just a new name same fuel as tesco 99 i have been running it for a year with no probs was mapped on it i found my local shell always seems to have none when i need it and tesco is 2p cheaper most of time
Old 17 June 2010, 11:17 PM
Cd09
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick schofield
i went to my tescos to put 99 ron in and saw this went in and i asked have you any 99 ron fuel only 95 superunleaded non off the assistants did not know what fuel they where selling i said **** that not putting nought here in here no reaction dont give a **** attitude what is it anyway momentum
My experiance with a few garage attendants is that when i ask what ron is your fuel, i get a blank expresion back, "RON?" they say.

Originally Posted by mbd sti2
its just a new name same fuel as tesco 99 i have been running it for a year with no probs was mapped on it i found my local shell always seems to have none when i need it and tesco is 2p cheaper most of time
Ah cheers man, that quells my concerns.
Old 17 June 2010, 11:25 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I filled up with it today, was labelled as the new name for '99.
Old 17 June 2010, 11:50 PM
lazadude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mbd sti2
Just a FYI, reason supermarket fuels are cheaper then shell etc, is because they have more impurities and are of a lower standard, but can still be counted as that specific RON, but just scraping past the regulations. This is all due to the fractional distillation, and Shell/Esso/etc buy the good stuff and supermarkets buy the cheap stuff for those who dont know better. in my experiance, i've gotten more mileage and as also as an emissions test, the proper garage fuel ran "cleaner".

Laza
Old 17 June 2010, 11:51 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

filled up today with it. i think its just 99 ron under a new name. agree sometimes i have asked what "ron" the fuel is and have had a blank look.
Old 18 June 2010, 12:11 AM
Cd09
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lazadude
Just a FYI, reason supermarket fuels are cheaper then shell etc, is because they have more impurities and are of a lower standard, but can still be counted as that specific RON, but just scraping past the regulations. This is all due to the fractional distillation, and Shell/Esso/etc buy the good stuff and supermarkets buy the cheap stuff for those who dont know better. in my experiance, i've gotten more mileage and as also as an emissions test, the proper garage fuel ran "cleaner".

Laza

Its not quite as simple as that its more to do with the addatives, there are specific regulations and specifications which verious fuels have. I think there is a base fuel for EU thats your 95 ron stuff, and theres a super unleaded grade. After that i think the differences are more to do with addatives in the fuels. If the refinery doesnt meet those then it is regarded as off spec and is reprocessed. Im not sure of the addative differences between V-power and tesco momentum, i will have to quiz the lab in work see if they know.
Old 18 June 2010, 12:14 AM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lazadude

Laza
Actually, while Shell fuel is better, the primary reason the supermarkets are cheaper is because selling fuel at low/zero margin attracts a greater volume of customers to their retail stores. If the petrol station is revenue neutral and the customer then uses the store - that's a win. Shell can't compete at that level so they require a different USP to justify their costs - 'Premium brand' in their case.
Old 18 June 2010, 12:19 AM
Cd09
Scooby Regular

Ye aXeL your right i rember hearing this from a mate who works in tescos once. Id just forgot how they opperated until you said.
Old 18 June 2010, 08:48 AM
McPhie
Scooby Regular

It's definately 99, even says so just below the Momentum sticker. Changed last week at my local and have had no problems so far...
Jonny
Old 18 June 2010, 09:20 AM
SkydiveMacca
Scooby Regular

I run mine on Tesco 99, no noticeable difference to V power, plus you get club card points which is waaaaaay better than the V power point system.
Old 18 June 2010, 11:06 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Stopped relying on Tesco, they NEVER seem to have any 99, plus their prices are always 2p ABOVE the Esso garage just down the road.........to make up for the "spend £50, get 5p per litre off" offer, I suppose.
Old 18 June 2010, 11:14 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

You would be surprised at the amount of collaboration between the rival fuel company's when it comes to the supply of fuel to the forecourt.

Nearly all the fuel in the Cardiff area comes from the Texaco Fuel Terminal in Cardiff Docks and it serves the following companies:

Texaco
Shell
Tesco
Total
plus I believe that BP may also use it from time to time

The only difference between any of them is the additives which are added prior to the fuel tankers being loaded, so certainly in the Cardiff Area Shell V Power and Tesco Momentum would be the same base fuel but with there own additives.

I must admit that I do get slightly more miles to the tank and the perception of better performance (it does seem to pull better) when I use V Power though but Tesco Momentum is a worthy second choice.
Old 18 June 2010, 12:03 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

A large portion of cost for fuel is transportation so each oil company has agreements in place to supply each other from the nearest refinery. As per Cannon Fodder, you will see Esso, Shell etc using BP refinery and vice versa.

The only difference between the fuels is the additives which is how Tesco make a 99 and the various names/brands on the fuel pumps.

AFAIK, Shell V Power is the one exception where all the supply comes from the refinery in Salford. There, V Power is refined to 99 rather than being a base 95 fuel plus additives.

Read into that as you wish...
Old 18 June 2010, 12:21 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I came across this the other week but didn't see any mention of 99 or super unleaded on the pump itself so hesitated and went for V-Power. All I saw was 'suitable for any unleaded vehicle' but I'll have to look closer next time. What also confused me was the fact that the silver super unleaded disc on the prices board had been specifically removed (noticed this at a few Tescos filling stations). Glad to hear its just Tesco99 rebranded.
Old 18 June 2010, 12:36 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I hope it's just T99 re-branded as T99 is what my car is mapped for I've been using the new stuff

TX.
Old 18 June 2010, 12:39 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by alcazar
Stopped relying on Tesco, they NEVER seem to have any 99, plus their prices are always 2p ABOVE the Esso garage just down the road.........to make up for the "spend £50, get 5p per litre off" offer, I suppose.
Esso?! Do they do 99 RON fuel?

TX.
Old 18 June 2010, 12:41 PM
Cd09
Scooby Regular

Tyron, im finding the mpg seemed to be better on V-power as well, prehapse momentum uses more ethanol or somthing insted.

Rossi, your right we supply most of the fuel for the south of britain regardless of brand. I was unaware of a refinery in salford though. We have shell tankers come to my work i duno what thier filling up with though, never get a chance to talk to them.
Old 18 June 2010, 02:59 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cd09
Tyron, im finding the mpg seemed to be better on V-power as well, prehapse momentum uses more ethanol or somthing insted.

Rossi, your right we supply most of the fuel for the south of britain regardless of brand. I was unaware of a refinery in salford though. We have shell tankers come to my work i duno what thier filling up with though, never get a chance to talk to them.
Stanlow near Runcorn?
Old 18 June 2010, 03:26 PM
mike h
Scooby Regular

There were no stickers on the pumps at a Tesco I used a while back. I went in to the kiosk and asked "Is your super unleaded 97 or 99?".
The response I had was great, "No love, it's £1.15.9 or £1.20.9 for unleaded."
I just shook my head and went on my way.

Last edited by mike h; 18 June 2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 18 June 2010, 04:19 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

That is just superb..

I only put V power in mine...but I do not pay for my own fuel either..
Old 18 June 2010, 04:33 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
Stanlow near Runcorn?
Yes, sorry, I meant Stanlow.. I'll get my coat
Old 18 June 2010, 08:08 PM
Cd09
Scooby Regular

Ah right stanlow hahah, ye shell own that, well they kinda do thier selling it now... might not be any V-power for us no more
Old 18 June 2010, 08:36 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

travelling home from blackpool on monday went to morrisons for e85 dint have any went to the next garage (shell) no v-power next garage (bp) just 95 ron unleaded and deisel now im running on fumes next garage (shell) finally get some v-power drove 230 mile did seem better mpg no much though but then the price difference 1.24 from local tesco 1.35 for v power its defo less ecconomical
Old 18 June 2010, 08:45 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Esso?! Do they do 99 RON fuel?

TX.
They do have a 97RON fuel branded as "Supreme" but not every station supplies it. There's two Esso stations in Leeds I know of that don't sell it but I have seen a few dotted about that do.
Old 19 June 2010, 12:20 PM
mikesfarm1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pinkypurkhardt
travelling home from blackpool on monday went to morrisons for e85 dint have any went to the next garage (shell) no v-power next garage (bp) just 95 ron unleaded and deisel now im running on fumes next garage (shell) finally get some v-power drove 230 mile did seem better mpg no much though but then the price difference 1.24 from local tesco 1.35 for v power its defo less ecconomical
Have you modifyed or changed your scooby to run on E85 bio ethenol ?
If not have you noticed any diffrence?
Old 19 June 2010, 12:45 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nick schofield

er .. say again ?
Old 02 July 2010, 11:23 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by pinkypurkhardt
Please tell me you've had your car specifically modified to run E85?

If you havent then you're off your fooking head quite frankly and how you've managed to get away without blowing your engine to bits is nothing short of a miracle!!!!!