Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torn wheel arch liner/mudguard fix?

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2021, 08:53 AM
Conor.s1
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Torn wheel arch liner/mudguard fix?

Morning all,
Just thought I'd post this up as i had been searching online for a solution to what seems to be a fairly common problem.

Basically I've just rebuilt my prodrive v7 sti and as the previous arch liners were ripped at the mounting tab, i obviously replaced them (genuine items i may add). Anyway, the car has probably done 700miles or less as it's mainly a weekend and dry day car now - low and behold, the arch liner has ripped in the same place. I've no idea how, I've definitely not hit anything and I'm the only one who drives it - all i could think of was poor design and pressure from the air when going quick - who knows. I forgot to take a picture when it was hanging out, it was flapping about in the wind but i'd popped it back in with a new clip (hoping for the best) prior to the bracket suggestion.

There is only one mounting tab on the lower bumper and this area can move freely and seems to be under some stress? A friend of mine suggested making a support bracket to stop it moving and spread the load and below are some pics! not exactly rocket science but wish I'd fitted them before the tab ripped. Either way, its secure and even with the ripped tab, is solidly in place.

First was to make a shape out of carboard, then use some 1.5(ish)mm steel to create the bracket, drill some appropriately sized holes and paint matt black.

I removed the foglight and covers to gain access without removing bumper and held in place on the rear side

Rivets painted black on the other side, incognito and solid as a rock!

Anyway - not the most interesting but given there was nothing out there and these are circa £50 a side, maybe this could help you too?

Last edited by Conor.s1; 19 August 2021 at 08:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Conor.s1:
Old 19 August 2021, 10:30 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Good job. I used a plastic repair kit from Frost Restoration last year on multiple tears and it's held up well. It makes the plastic quite rigid, so not brilliant for tabs that flex
The following users liked this post: