Sponsored by:

Buying a 2005 TYPE UK Subaru wrx STI

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2021, 10:59 PM
Khal123
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2005 TYPE UK Subaru wrx STI

How much should I be paying for a 2005 type UK WRX STI Subaru with 39k miles genuine, also car has been dry stored for last 10 years rust free and is in very good condition considering its age would be helpful knowing what it is worth as it will be my first Subaru owned.
Old 05 August 2021, 10:03 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

i would not pay 10k for UK sti, there were cheap when new for a reason, basically wrx with 6 speed
prices are crazy at a minute think 16k asking price could be
Old 05 August 2021, 01:08 PM
Dreep
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006
i would not pay 10k for UK sti, there were cheap when new for a reason, basically wrx with 6 speed
prices are crazy at a minute think 16k asking price could be
Go back to Facebook and stop spreading misinformation.
The 2.0 UK STI shortblock runs the factory forged pistons and better rods (akin to the JDM STI Bug ie. not Hypereutectic). Better heads with AVCS, different turbo, injectors, TMIC. Don't forget Brembos / bigger brakes, larger hubs (5x114 on OP's model), larger R180 rear diff over the WRX's R160. There are a plethora of differences, the JDM car improves upon these but its certainly not a WRX with a 6 speed at all.

To the OP, before the recent market shift, decent UK STI Blobs have sat between £10-12k for quite some time. So it would not suprise me if a very nice example is now fetching more.
However, the market is skewed with high priced cars and ultimately they all vary in condition. Make sure to buy on condition, especially the underside! There are lots of nice looking, low mileage cars coming out of the woodwork albeit with no pictures of the underside.
Despite that it could cost an arm and a leg depending on what it is, mechanical stuff can be fixed with relative ease but tackling rust is a completely different ball game and shouldn't be underestimated.

The following 4 users liked this post by Dreep:
Old 05 August 2021, 04:31 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreep
Go back to Facebook and stop spreading misinformation.
The 2.0 UK STI shortblock runs the factory forged pistons and better rods (akin to the JDM STI Bug ie. not Hypereutectic). Better heads with AVCS, different turbo, injectors, TMIC. Don't forget Brembos / bigger brakes, larger hubs (5x114 on OP's model), larger R180 rear diff over the WRX's R160. There are a plethora of differences, the JDM car improves upon these but its certainly not a WRX with a 6 speed at all.

To the OP, before the recent market shift, decent UK STI Blobs have sat between £10-12k for quite some time. So it would not suprise me if a very nice example is now fetching more.
However, the market is skewed with high priced cars and ultimately they all vary in condition. Make sure to buy on condition, especially the underside! There are lots of nice looking, low mileage cars coming out of the woodwork albeit with no pictures of the underside.
Despite that it could cost an arm and a leg depending on what it is, mechanical stuff can be fixed with relative ease but tackling rust is a completely different ball game and shouldn't be underestimated.
question is about 2005 blob ,no forged pistons than ,stop mixing years ,most on facebook know more than You ,7k redline like wrx ,same steering rack etc, brembos are crap anyway ,supension knock is common on widetrack,and list goes on,was 28k when new,cheap for a reason

Last edited by JdmSti2006; 05 August 2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05 August 2021, 06:14 PM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

question is about 2005 blob ,no forged pistons than ,stop mixing years ,most on facebook know more than You ,7k redline like wrx ,same steering rack etc, brembos are crap anyway ,supension knock is common on widetrack,and list goes on,was 28k when new,cheap for a reason
All UK 01-05 2ltr had the factory forged pistons.
All sti 01 on had avcs heads not wrx
The cam profile limterd them to there redline, certainly not wrx heads,
6speed DCCD in this model
There's Intercooler spray,
Injectors, turbo, Intercooler, this car will have stronger hubs, wider track as the tittle, brembos,

Certainly not a cheap car, yes 28k new but that's 15years ago, a new yaris or type R or Rs is only a few k more in today's money.
The following 5 users liked this post by scooby kid:
Old 05 August 2021, 06:16 PM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Op question if it's truley rust free it's going to be 9-12k I'd say,
Old 05 August 2021, 06:47 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Yes agree, but double check that rust. As cars can still rot well in a damp moist garage.

Hopefully it's been in a heated garage. Sounds nice, fully on the road.

A dealer would whack it up forsale for £20,000+ but correct price is as mentioned. Seen a high spec 70k Blobeye go for £13,000, dealer now has it listed for £17,999 lol

Originally Posted by scooby kid
Op question if it's truley rust free it's going to be 9-12k I'd say,
Old 05 August 2021, 06:52 PM
Dreep
Scooby Regular

Clueless. Normally I wouldn't entertain stupid but seeing as I have some spare time on my hands..
Tried using Google translate but doesn't show 'mong' as a language to translate into English so from what I can decipher of your poorly put together reply :

2005 UK STI Blob in comparison to the WRX of same year which you quoted :.
The block halves on a WRX are openblock as opposed to the STI's semi-closed deck.
STI piston is stronger and different to the cast WRX items. - See STI piston - 12006AB430 which is a factory forged item.
The rods are again stronger and different to a WRX
Heads on STI are AVCS, WRX aren't.
Turbo is IHI VF35 on STI, MHI TD04 on WRX
The STI top mount intercooler is physically bigger than the WRX
440cc vs 550cc injectors on the STI
Steering rack on UK STI is 15:1 and WRX is 16:1
Being MY05 STI its a widetrack, whereas the WRX is not, so minor changes to rear subframe, bushes and lateral arms, arms being longer contributing towards an increase of 15mm track.
Rear diff is R180 on STI vs. R160 on WRX. Shafts are thicker on rear of STI and difference in length to accomodate larger rear diff and the slightly increased track as above.
5x100 smaller bearing hubs vs. 5x114 bigger bearing hubs on the STI
Roll bars are bigger on the STI.
6 Speed vs 5 Speed (funnily enough you already know that)
Larger clutch 255 vs 230mm on STI, flywheels are different too.
Brembos over Subaru 4pots etc...

The list can go on and there is probably far much more differences that I haven't even listed. Spend some time researching instead of hanging out on FB groups wallowing over cheap wheels and tatty coilovers. Amongst that, might be advisable to spend your time learning to put together a sentence that people may understand.

The following 7 users liked this post by Dreep:
1509joe, bunsofsteeeel, johno01, lockheed, scooby kid, Scooby0, the shreksta and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05 August 2021, 06:54 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Just ignore the troll people, he keeps getting banned and coming back under different names.
The following users liked this post:
Old 05 August 2021, 07:37 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I thought the last cars to have the “forged type” pistons were the early 2003 Sti?

Originally Posted by scooby kid
All UK 01-05 2ltr had the factory forged pistons.
All sti 01 on had avcs heads not wrx
The cam profile limterd them to there redline, certainly not wrx heads,
6speed DCCD in this model
There's Intercooler spray,
Injectors, turbo, Intercooler, this car will have stronger hubs, wider track as the tittle, brembos,

Certainly not a cheap car, yes 28k new but that's 15years ago, a new yaris or type R or Rs is only a few k more in today's money.
Old 05 August 2021, 07:38 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

Have you got any pics or a link to the advert?

Originally Posted by Khal123
How much should I be paying for a 2005 type UK WRX STI Subaru with 39k miles genuine, also car has been dry stored for last 10 years rust free and is in very good condition considering its age would be helpful knowing what it is worth as it will be my first Subaru owned.
Old 05 August 2021, 07:48 PM
Dreep
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ade_sti
I thought the last cars to have the “forged type” pistons were the early 2003 Sti?
EUDM/UK cars kept that piston and the JDM cars went to the hypereutectic from 2003+
Old 05 August 2021, 08:18 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

EUDM/UK cars kept that piston and the JDM cars went to the hypereutectic from 2003+
Like a Boss compilation👍
Old 05 August 2021, 08:47 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

Nice

Old 05 August 2021, 08:48 PM
Dreep
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lockheed
Like a Boss compilation👍
Cheers, I don't often find myself on here anymore, usually full of nonsense as you can see . T-RA site is a bit of a safe haven free of muppets. Hows the FSTI?
Old 05 August 2021, 09:04 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Cheers, I don't often find myself on here anymore, usually full of nonsense as you can see . T-RA site is a bit of a safe haven free of muppets. Hows the FSTI?
Agreed T. Ra is they way to go. Im burning a bit of oil but things still get blurry boosting in 4th 5th and 6th.
6 speed needs a rebuild, front end looks like its been scatterd with bird shot and probably needs paint, apart from that its all good man.
Still lookin for a type r shell. 👍
Old 05 August 2021, 09:10 PM
Dreep
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lockheed
Agreed T. Ra is they way to go. Im burning a bit of oil but things still get blurry boosting in 4th 5th and 6th.
6 speed needs a rebuild, front end looks like its been scatterd with bird shot and probably needs paint, apart from that its all good man.
Still lookin for a type r shell. 👍
Sounds like you are using it as intended and enjoying it none the less. See you on T-RA
Old 05 August 2021, 09:37 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

After being on here for over 15 years it is sad how very little the forum is used. However totally agree that there are less crazy people on here now! I supposed it is just how it is as the cars get older and there are less around and people move on and buy newer cars. 😢

Good luck with the car mate - I hope it is a good one. Get some pics up if you buy it, would be nice to see it.
Old 05 August 2021, 10:40 PM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its 16-18K private all day long, maybe even more in these silly times. I had several firm offers on mine at Christmas time for 12.5K and its done 60K more miles. The closer it is to factory then the more it will be worth.
Old 05 August 2021, 10:52 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Think you'll find you are very wrong cars actually had better pistons than the Jap cars in the blob and hawk.
Old 05 August 2021, 10:55 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Eejit.
The following 3 users liked this post by 1509joe:
Old 05 August 2021, 10:57 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular