Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement for a cracked Hybrid HDI GT intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2021, 03:32 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Replacement for a cracked Hybrid HDI GT intercooler?

So I was supposed to map my car yesterday but I was a bit stupid and didn't do a boost leak test at home. So it turned out the Hybrid intercooler core had a crack near the end tank at the bottom. It's a HDI GT spec intercooler, not the updated GT2 version. For a temporary fix I bought a cheap bar and plate intercooler, probably something like what Japspeed includes with their kit.

But it's 2kg heavier than the old tube and fin HDI and likely won't be as good. What would be a good replacement? I guess I could import a Hybrid GT2 intercooler, just the intercooler and not the complete kit but that gets quite expensive. I see that there are cheap tube and fin intercoolers available now too. They are bit more expensive than the bar and plate ones but still I'm not sure if they're any good?

Would need to be a 600x300x76.

Not too impressed with the HDI quality, although it's 12 years old by now the car has only been driven for about 10000 miles during that time.
Old 30 July 2021, 03:49 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

can't simply be repaired??
Old 30 July 2021, 03:51 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

No sorry, they made an attempt but it ended up with a bigger hole than to begin with The crack had gone so far in that they had to cut open the bottom bar. And it wasn't easy for them to weld when the material was so thin. Maybe someone else could have repaired it but it's scrap now unfortunately.