Advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2021, 07:10 AM
Frisco
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed.

Good morning ladies and gents.
Could someone please advise. While changing the power steering/alternator belt I've managed to crack the plastic at the top of the radiator on my wife's 07 Impreza.
Does anyone know if any radweld type product would seal this or is it a case of a new radiator. Losing brownie points by the hour 🤣
Old 18 February 2021, 07:18 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

if it’s a cracked there is a radiator repair compound that can be found on ebay it’s worth a go , like “water weld “ , there are a few other options available
The following users liked this post:
Old 18 February 2021, 07:22 AM
Frisco
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
if it’s a cracked there is a radiator repair compound that can be found on ebay it’s worth a go , like “water weld “ , there are a few other options available

Many thanks. Just wasn't sure if it would just plug any pipe or alloy leak at the core or would work on the plastic.
Appreciated 😁
Old 18 February 2021, 07:44 AM
Matt Gooner Moulding
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

id get a new one if im honest. dunno if i can trust these rad weld's for the long term. rad's are cheap enough.
The following users liked this post:
Old 18 February 2021, 08:08 AM
Frisco
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Matt Gooner Moulding
id get a new one if im honest. dunno if i can trust these rad weld's for the long term. rad's are cheap enough.

That's my thoughts. It's just a quick fix for the weekend then order one next week. Seen a standard for £50 but the uprated one around £160 is probably going to be the best option long term 😊
Old 18 February 2021, 10:22 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Then the rad weld is throughout the system; I dont think any professionals recommend this for anything more than " get you home emergency situations " I wouldn't put it in and potentially compromise the rest of the system. Putting in a new radiator is a simple driveway job.
Old 18 February 2021, 11:11 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

the one discussed by VXR2010 - water weld - is a resin you apply to the outside rather than Rad weld additive to the coolant. i used it previously to repair a cracked fuel pump housing on my mk2 golf and works well.
https://www.jbweld.com/product/waterweld-epoxy-putty

personally id just buy a new std radiator - its more than up to the job

Last edited by Gambit; 18 February 2021 at 11:14 AM.
Old 18 February 2021, 11:31 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

if you have cracked a pipe or the outer hosing of the rad then the water weld is quite good as it’s for external repairs , which from what you are describing appears to be your problem , if you have damaged the core then i would not be adding any thing too the coolant , i would get a new one , the over flow small plastic pipe got broken on mine so got that repaired , if you broke the main in or out pipe then i would get a new one , nissens are good , or give mishimoto a go , the slight issue with mishimoto is again the little over flow pipe they thread into where the radiator rad cap goes the thread tends to be a bit weak , so i re enforced mine with the putty which worked very well
Old 18 February 2021, 11:57 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Plastic has probably gone brittle anyway; common failure on old radiators (and cheap reproductions)....repair it and it'll probably fail again or elsewhere...then leave you stranded at the side of the road waiting for recovery with a pair of blown head gaskets after it airlocks from the leak.

Radiators aren't that expensive and not hard to change. Its harder to purge the air out if anything.

Could even change the cam belt while your down there as without the radiator it's a lot easier (assuming the crank pulley bolt loosens )
Old 18 February 2021, 01:03 PM
Frisco
Scooby Newbie

Many thanks gents. Just ordered a radiator. Best option in the long run. How come the wife and son have a Scooby and we end up paying. That's why I now ride bikes. Have to admit I did have fun in the snow 😁