Sponsored by:

Sticky clutch, please help

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2020, 06:54 PM
Jbscoobie
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky clutch, please help

Hoping someone can help me. So I heavy accelerated my scoob, brought all the way up to 7000rpm and clutch just stuck to the floor when I tried changing to second. Car is driving and changing gears but it’s really hard and sticky to get it into gears when driving. Bitting point on clutch is pretty much instant when before it was at half way. Clutch pedal feels completely loose like there’s nothing there and sticking to the floor. What have I done. Is this an expensive fix? And what do I need to do to get it fixed. Car already started to judder and vibrate for the past week or so since I drove over a speed bump at 30-40mph but not noticing the speed bump in time. Very quiet like knocking or ticking noise when it’s stationary in neutral and when you press the clutch even though it’s soft, the knocking stops. Took the inter cooler off to see the slave cylinder and it seems fine, tried to bleed it but no air coming out just clutch fluid. But pedal is still soft and sticky. Not sure what it could be. Like I said car is drivable but smells like something is burning if you drive it but not clutch smell. Very quiet tapping if you not press the clutch in but when you press it in it stops.
Old 15 December 2020, 08:42 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

What car?
My guess is that your car has a push type clutch rather than a pull type and the clutch fork has broken where it pivots inside the bell housing against the ball/pivot.
Seen this loads of times on hawk WRX'S and foresters.
Old 15 December 2020, 08:59 PM
Jbscoobie
Scooby Newbie

Default Subaru Impreza wrx sti 2002 bugeye 6 speed

Subaru Impreza wrx sti 2002 bugeye 6 speed.

right okay so what would I need to get and replace to get it fixed please. Definitely new clutch you reckon?
Old 15 December 2020, 09:06 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jbscoobie
Subaru Impreza wrx sti 2002 bugeye 6 speed.

right okay so what would I need to get and replace to get it fixed please. Definitely new clutch you reckon?
if it's an STI then it will have a pull type clutch with the stronger clutch fork so wont be what I thought it would be mate.
Old 15 December 2020, 09:29 PM
Jbscoobie
Scooby Newbie

Oh, so you not sure what could be wrong with it? I’ve checked the master and slave cylinder both fine.
Old 16 December 2020, 12:19 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

try bleeding it first , i’m assuming it’s a new age car , check the pedals are moving freely and nothing getting stuck in the way , how many miles has your clutch done ?
Old 16 December 2020, 05:30 AM
Jbscoobie
Scooby Newbie

The clutch pedal gets stuck to the floor, I’ve tried bleeding it but no air comes out, just fluid starts squiring out. It’s hard to shift gears as well and the hitting on on the clutch seems instant pretty much right off the floor but does go into gear and does drive. The clutch has done around 10-12k.
Old 16 December 2020, 10:29 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

it could be a sticking master or slave cylinder , does it only do it when it’s hot , and i take it’s started recently and not a issue since fitting , was it the correct clutch when fitted and a decent quality one are you running lots of power, is car new age or classic ?
Old 16 December 2020, 10:52 AM
Jbscoobie
Scooby Newbie

The full description of how it happened is right at the top mate, including the age of the car (2002) and power (350+ bhp). It doesn’t do it just when it’s hot it’s like that all the time because something happened when I drove over a speed bump at 30-40mph.
Old 16 December 2020, 11:38 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

sorry not read it all , i’ve had the same issues on other cars when it’s hot , if there is no restriction on the pedal to master cylinder travel my money is on slave starting to fail , i would expect a master cylinder to be a bit more durable , i think the slave is something that can be swapped out as not too big a job? i believe it’s on top of the gearbox ? , i can’t see how hitting a speed bump at a fair speed would effect any thing , but if it was me i would do the cheaper possible fixes first and as above start with the slave , hopefully the clutch is ok , unless you are launching a lot 10k miles is not a lot of use
Old 16 December 2020, 11:58 AM
Jbscoobie
Scooby Newbie

The car is around 350+ bhp and the clutch can handle up to 500bhp as I’ve got a receipt for it and says in there. It was second hand but was taking off a racing Subaru from a guy that fitted the engine for us. I’m just worried and curious how could it be slave cylinder is there is a quiet tapping when pedal is not pressed but when pressed the noise goes away. Also there is a strange burning smell since that has happened but definitely not a burning clutch smell. Put if you say start off with the slave cylinder then I will give that a go. But it’s not leaking anywhere already checked, slave cylinder is moving when you press the clutch in and fluid is in the master cylinder.
Old 16 December 2020, 04:35 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

a rattling noise can be a clutch release bearing
Old 16 December 2020, 04:55 PM
Jbscoobie
Scooby Newbie

Do you think the bearing could of got knocked out as I hit the speed bump?
Old 16 December 2020, 11:27 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

or the bearing has possibly not working very well which is why it maybe making noise and you are having trouble with your gears , the speed bump unless you hit something i would be surprised if it damaged a clutch release bearing , did you impact and did you check for damage , clutch release bearing noise will change from clutch down to release , normally a rattling noise , if you pump the clutch a few times then put it in gear does it help ?
Old 17 December 2020, 11:10 AM
Jbscoobie
Scooby Newbie

No it’s just flat all the time, does go into gear but not smoothly and the bitting point is literally instant. Probably lift the clutch 1-2mm and bites straight away. Which shouldn’t be like that. Before it was about mid point.
Old 17 December 2020, 12:26 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

sorry to sound overly obvious , from what i understand it’s either the hydraulics or the hydraulic systems not lifting it , slave being my first option , or it’s a clutch fault , so i would do the system stuff first as it’s do able at home and cheaper than a clutch off job and see how it goes , if that fails then it will need to be a box off job , the place that put it in for you is it worth a visit back to them ?
Old 17 December 2020, 01:59 PM
Jbscoobie
Scooby Newbie

They are willing to have look at it but won’t do any work for me as they only do stuff for race and rally cars now. And they’re based in Birmingham about 40 miles from me so no point. But I’ll have a look at it myself see what it’s saying.
Old 17 December 2020, 03:39 PM
Jbscoobie
Scooby Newbie

I’ve tried attaching two videos. Not sure if it’s worked but trying g to show you the sales cylinder if that’s correct? Or bad.
Old 17 December 2020, 04:16 PM
Jbscoobie
Scooby Newbie

Can’t see it myself so I put couple of videos together of the car with engine off,on, pressing the clutch and also in gear.

Old 17 December 2020, 07:22 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

this is a guess it job i’m thinking clutch issue , it appears the hydraulics are working as there’s lots if movement there, so i assume there’s enough movement for it to work , there’s a lot of shaking going on there which is more than i expected it would be , worth a 40 mile drive to get it checked , any one else’s thoughts on here ?
Old 17 December 2020, 07:35 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Looks like you have knocked the fork out. Probably the wrong term but based on what you have described and the video thats what I think.

Did you buy the clutch from Matty.

If you need a clutch place try A1 clutches in Digbeth Birmingham
Old 17 December 2020, 08:06 PM
Jbscoobie
Scooby Newbie

Yeah j got the clutch from MB Development in Birmingham. I will give them a go. Thank mate. Looks like new clutch it is then 😢
Old 17 December 2020, 08:16 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Yeah j got the clutch from MB Development in Birmingham. I will give them a go. Thank mate. Looks like new clutch it is then 😢
I didn't think new clutch mate. Now I could be getting my gearboxes all mixed up but theres this selector fork and if it gets loose it won't disengage the clutch properly.

When you said they do race cars now and not normal cars I thought it might be Matty. If they are going to take a look at it then do that and if you need a new clutch get one from AS Performance. Take it to the place I recommended to get it fitted after that.

Let us know how you get on.
Old 17 December 2020, 08:28 PM
Jbscoobie
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the advice mate, I’ll take it to Matt at some point this week see what he says but AS performance is too far for me. I live in East Midlands.
Old 17 December 2020, 08:33 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice mate, I’ll take it to Matt at some point this week see what he says but AS performance is too far for me. I live in East Midlands.
I think you misunderstood mate. Order the clutch from AS Performance, they deliver and get it fitted by A1 clutches.
Old 17 December 2020, 08:35 PM
Jbscoobie
Scooby Newbie

Oh get you now mate, I’ll do that then and update you when it’s done. 👌🏻
Old 18 December 2020, 04:37 PM
Jbscoobie
Scooby Newbie

Quick update, car is booked in for the 7th Jan at Carnetix in Melton Mowbray for them to have a look what needs doing and they will get it back on the road from there. Scoobie world has recommended them and they are down road for me, I’ve called A1 clutches and they’ve priced me £300 plus vat for a clutch change. No way would I pay that price, can get it cheaper at scoobie world but will see what Carnetix has to say on the 7th.
Old 19 December 2020, 11:56 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Quick update, car is booked in for the 7th Jan at Carnetix in Melton Mowbray for them to have a look what needs doing and they will get it back on the road from there. Scoobie world has recommended them and they are down road for me, I’ve called A1 clutches and they’ve priced me £300 plus vat for a clutch change. No way would I pay that price, can get it cheaper at scoobie world but will see what Carnetix has to say on the 7th.

I am shocked at that. I'm sure they quoted me less to fit a gearbox.
Old 30 December 2020, 01:56 PM
Jbscoobie
Scooby Newbie

Hi all, so scoobie is booed in to Carnetix in Melton Mowbray for next Thursday. But just wanted to point out that I’ve turned it over today and these fibres pop out of the peep hole that’s on top of the engine/gearbox where they split under the bit where the intercooler normally is. I let it warm up for 10/15 and then revved it up little bit just to make sure everything is working as it should which it is just the clutch is the same still OBVIOUSLY. but nah idea what this could be? Thank
Old 30 December 2020, 04:33 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Hi all, so scoobie is booed in to Carnetix in Melton Mowbray for next Thursday. But just wanted to point out that I’ve turned it over today and these fibres pop out of the peep hole that’s on top of the engine/gearbox where they split under the bit where the intercooler normally is. I let it warm up for 10/15 and then revved it up little bit just to make sure everything is working as it should which it is just the clutch is the same still OBVIOUSLY. but nah idea what this could be? Thank
That's clutch friction plate material mate.

Quick Reply: Sticky clutch, please help