Sponsored by:

skyline r33...i dont want her to do it!

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2001, 07:46 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

princess has decided the scoob is no longer quick enough, and wants a skyline r33 v spec.
i desperately dont want her to do this because i love the scoob. its rapid, sounds the business, and has been well and truly pampered ( p1 alloys, full retrim etc)
can anyone with experience of skylines offer any advice. have you gone from a skyline to a scooby or vice versa, and what did you think?
as i say, i buy a import wagon later this year, but i dont want her to get rid of hers, its just way too much fun.
Old 23 May 2001, 08:52 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Oh I dont know Spudgun.......
I think the Skyline is a great car - its truly original and very rare......
I'd say go for it -(although I dont have any experience of them) - just make sure its a good 'un......

Regards,

Gastro
Old 23 May 2001, 08:56 PM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

Red face

....er, excuse me, didn't you just chop in your Scoob for a BMW......?
Old 23 May 2001, 09:00 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Spooky........ Spudgun has, the scooby is his better half's car Sometime there is no accounting for taste

Gastro
Old 23 May 2001, 09:22 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Cool

yeah thats right, i will now be goosestepping around north essex as from sunday, achtung achtung
as most will know, i got rid of my my00 ( and no, i wont be going into that one ok ), get 330 ci sunday
no, princess my live in girlfriend and allround sex goddess is seriously wanting to go for an r33. pity though, she has the subaru wrc badge tattooed on her ***
i spose she'll have to have a nissan one on the other cheek. she already has the ford badge in the middle
and no, before any cheeky sod asks, i dont have a pic ok
i have a pic of her scanned, but wouldnt know how to put it in this thread, face only cheeky!
anyway, anyone owned an r33? how reliable are they? depreciation an issue? much quicker than a scoob?
help is very appreciated , cheers guys n gals
Old 23 May 2001, 10:03 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

an R33 would have done the worst part of it's depreciation.

Matt.
Old 23 May 2001, 10:17 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

having drove a skyline, I found it , well to be blunt like an old mans car, very wide, very heavy - sticks to the road well, but I just think it is an old mans car - not as much fun as my sti iv type-r coupe!!
Old 23 May 2001, 10:48 PM
Puffy The Skyline Slayer!
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Nuts to Skylines - car for a wuss

Old 23 May 2001, 11:37 PM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Tell her NO!!!!

Thought Skylines were Mitsibishi 3000GT; great grip, but had no driver involvement, etc. because they were 4WD steer, etc.

It makes no sense at all. The Scoob is plenty quick enough

Cheers,
Tom
Old 24 May 2001, 12:10 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Question

Does that make the Ford a car for Arseholes or pussies?

Jesting
Old 24 May 2001, 12:35 AM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Talking

Skyline ohhh man what a motor, but I prefer my scoob.

The Skyline although was blisteringly quick, extremely informative in its responses with quick fluid steering, excellent info coming at you from everywhere about the road conditions. Had an amount of grip, an amazing non juddery clutch, huge brakes, great driving position, oh and that gorgeous engine note. It was to itching to dive all over the road, was rock hard to the point that you wished this country was covered in smooth motorways and was far to wide for the twisty A/B roads around where I live.

Scooby dooby ddooooooooooo

M
Old 24 May 2001, 08:35 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

In terms of driver involvement

3000GT one of the scale (i.e. none), Skyline is at the other end of the scale, alongside the Scoob, but different.

It may well not be quicker than an early WRX with a Supership, but it is a very different car, think Jag XKR on steroids and you have it. Feels much heavier than Scoob, but when pushed it really comes alive. R34 even more bonkers to drive and to look at!

BTW - I think Spooky was trying to say don't cry over spilt milk!

R
Old 24 May 2001, 11:24 AM
DaveU
Scooby Regular

Talking

I went from an sti-5 type-R to an R33-GTR. Fantastic car, never regretted it once. Insurance and running costs about the same as the STI. Fuel economy about the same (road 15-20, track 6-8mpg). You can be a complete hooligan and hang the back out all the way round roundabouts, AWD doesn't take over until i think about 30mph+ if rear wheels start to loose it. Speedwise it was about the same as my STI - would start to pull away at 130+

Advantages:
It's so smooth to drive. Completely different class to the Scoob
I had people actually kneel down at the road side!
Lovely straight-6 exhaust note.

Disadvantages:
Cant leave it anywhere - it attracts too much attention.
Don't crash it - it's really expensive to repair! (front mounted) intercooler alone is 1800 squids!

Dave

PS i sold it last year when finances dictated, but i'm presently debating on either a euro WRX or an STI - they are more practical
Old 24 May 2001, 07:34 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

Skyline is much better built, excellent brakes, gearshift etc, much more solid quality. A lot more weight so not as chuckable. Very easy to get sideways, but can be a handful in the wet if you are trying to go fast A to B in scoob style, yes this is despite the reputation for "great handling". Similar running costs to a 911. Very easy to tune up to stupid power (400 bhp easy, but you'll spend more than you pay for the car, 500-600 possible if you've got money to burn). Depreciation not good - they've already come down a lot but with such huge running costs they will be worth £7-10k (R33 version) in a few years IMO and be very hard to sell. A bit unweildy down country roads but not too bad. Worst point is they tramline quite badly on UK roads, this was a major reason for me selling mine and it can be really offputting under hard braking (coz you can't line up the corner precisely). A fun car but I prefer the hot scoobs. Why not look at a 95 BMW M5? £12k buys you a nice one, 340bhp RWD bomb-proof build quality, better for oversteer if that's your thing, and more refined - a great Q car.

Old 24 May 2001, 08:58 PM
Shak
Scooby Newbie

If u r getting a scoob later anyways, why not have the best of both worlds. The R33 is an excellent car, but totally different to any scoob.

The running costs r not 2 bad - as long as a good independant looks after it.

It is very easy to get 400 BHP reliably out of on. Plenty easy to also get 600 BHP (but is expensive)

I would suggest a drive out in one, then makes your mind up. Bear in mind a standard one is actually restricted ( a full exhaust alone will yield approx 40 BHP)

Hope this helps.

Old 24 May 2001, 09:16 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Cool

know what your saying shak. i think the problem is that i love her scoob as much as she does. its the first scooby i ever sat in, and ive watched as shes transformed it from an ugly duckling ( my initial impression of it, not hers )into a gorgeous near supercar. shes spent a bomb on it, but she feels shes modded it as much as she can, which by all accounts she probably has.
if it were a green 5 door i would buy it off her myself, without question. unfortunately its silver and totally attention grabbing, her cup of tea not mine. after reading some of the comments in this thread, she appears to be cooling on the idea at the mo, but till she test drives one she'll keep harping about it.