DIY Uprated Gearbox Mount

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2020, 06:47 PM
L7NCH
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY Uprated Gearbox Mount

Hi all,

​​​​​​I thought I'd share my current project. I'm relatively new here, so may well have been done many times before...

I have seen a few vids on YouTube of people reinforcing there engine/gearbox mounts with different types of polyurethane adhesive (PU). Mainly done in the US, with supposedly good results.

The idea is to fill any voids within mounts to make it more firm.

I have recently bought a used Bugeye 5 speed gearbox mount on eBay (with 80000miles done).

I am using Sikaflex 252 adhesive (55 Shore hardness).

First was to fill the central void fully, to visually match a Group N mount... then go on to seal the edge, not really sure if this should be done, but I can always slice the Sikaflex afterwards if needs be.

Anyways, pictures tell a thousand words:

This has been done earlier today, so is currently curing. I will probably leave it 4-5 days.

I shall post updates, once complete n fitted.

Comments and/or criticism always welcome...

Regards,
Callum

Last edited by L7NCH; 10 November 2020 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10 November 2020, 08:11 PM
johnoggy
Scooby Regular

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

i have never seen this done before, does it make much difference to stability?
Old 10 November 2020, 10:10 PM
L7NCH
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by johnoggy
i have never seen this done before, does it make much difference to stability?
My hope is that it replicates an uprated mount, I just can't warrant ~£100 for an aftermarket mount, but during installing my OEM engine mounts I noticed that the standard gearbox mount is very soft, so this is my cheap attempt to fix this.
To answer ur actual question, an uprated gearbox mount helps stabilise the engine/gearbox n gives a more positive gear change (so reviews say).
I'll keep u updated
Cheers, Cal
Old 10 November 2020, 10:29 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

I’ve seen this done before however if the stuff you’ve used is truly 55 shore hardness I wouldn’t expect it to perform nearly as well as the proper Group N STi part. That is around 80 shore IIRC. Still should be a lot better than it normally is and you might get less of an increase in NVH with this.
Old 10 November 2020, 10:41 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Hope you didn't pay more than pennys for an 80000 mile mount; at least you've improved it from very knackered to slightly knackered. Only saying that as I've just replaced a 55000 mile transmission mount which was totally torn and it would have been a false economy to fill it.
Old 11 November 2020, 09:18 AM
L7NCH
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by RockyRoad
I’ve seen this done before however if the stuff you’ve used is truly 55 shore hardness I wouldn’t expect it to perform nearly as well as the proper Group N STi part. That is around 80 shore IIRC. Still should be a lot better than it normally is and you might get less of an increase in NVH with this.
I'm just hoping for a stiffer than standard mount, I expect noting like a group N mount, it was just a visual comparison. Sikaflex 252 is indeed 55 Shore, also have 221 but I believe that is a softer 40 shore.
We'll see how it goes anyway.
Thanks, Cal
Old 11 November 2020, 09:24 AM
L7NCH
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Hope you didn't pay more than pennys for an 80000 mile mount; at least you've improved it from very knackered to slightly knackered. Only saying that as I've just replaced a 55000 mile transmission mount which was totally torn and it would have been a false economy to fill it.
The used mount was £5.
Its more of an experiment, to see if it actually works, all lot over the pond use 3M Window weld, I simply have access to Sikaflex, so it's my choice.
I can confirm the mount is not torn, although the edge parts where not in contact, I guess this is more of a maximum stop/bump stop.
I currently have 120k Classic, so just hoping for some cheap improvement.
I have changed my engine mounts a couple of days ago for OEM copies, ever so slightly taughter feel, with less of a judder on startup/shutdown.
Also have a Poly pitch stop that I hope to fit today.
Thanks, Cal
Old 11 November 2020, 09:49 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Fair play. It's got to be firmer solid, and it's a top level hack. But rubber nearly 2 decades old will never be the same as new rubber.
Old 11 November 2020, 10:39 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

This could cut down on waste. Myself included I throw things away because its just easier lol

Good going mate
Old 11 November 2020, 03:16 PM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

How about filling the remaing voids as well. That will increase stiffness even more. If you're worried about it being too stiff, use the 40 shore material.
Old 11 November 2020, 09:00 PM
L7NCH
Scooby Newbie

👍 @ nossy

I think I will keep it as it is, for exactly the reason of it possibly being too hard/harsh.
However, if mine is in useable condition, I can easily do the same n fill all the voids @ John

Cheers all,
Cal
Old 17 November 2020, 11:29 AM
L7NCH
Scooby Newbie

...So, still haven't fitted the mount.

Although, since starting this thread I fitted a polybushed pitch stop mount n could not live with it, too harsh n my car suffers from pretty severe piston slap when cold, this was amplified 1000%. I did not however experience any vibration, was deffo' more solid.

​​​​...Anyways, I fitted the old pitch stop mount but, did the same thing with Sikaflex 252, I can genuinely say it is a little more solid than standard with no noise.

Here are pics...

Regards, Cal
Old 17 November 2020, 12:10 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

If it works for you then thats all that matters