Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Bump-steer Modification. Opinions, please?

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2002, 09:47 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hear many good things about this modification, however I understand it also has its critics.

I also understand there are very few places in the UK that are capable of successfully and effectively performing this "modification" - TSL and Powerstation to name two. As I live near to Leeds, this would entail a day out to say the least, so I would like my journey to be worthwhile.

SO what I ask is this......

Is the bump-steer a good thing, or is it simply a placebo effect, having had your geometry correctly set on the car.

I would prefer to hear from people who have had experience driving with and without the mod, and opinions on it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 18 June 2002, 10:20 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

I've driven cars with and without. My car has it, and it is VERY responsive in the handling stakes!

What Is Bump Steer have a read of that link it details what bump steer is and what it does.
Old 18 June 2002, 11:16 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

BuRR,

AFAIK, only Powerstation can do it - it's not just Geometry but they change the position of the steering rack. I had a standard MY00 (in fact the very one IanW is talking about ( )) and then went for the Bump Steer Mod and I couldn't believe the difference. Much less understeer, more predicable, better steering response and feel, car more adjustable on the throttle and what seemed to be more outright grip through corners.

I have before and since driven several Scoobs with and without this mod and it is fairly noticable going from one to the other. I would totally recommend it

Matt

P.S. I also then went for Eibachs and the Anti-Lift kit which I would also recommend
Old 18 June 2002, 11:16 PM
jayz
Scooby Regular

Talking

Would have to agree with IanW.JYZ
Old 18 June 2002, 11:24 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

P.S. I also then went for Eibachs and the Anti-Lift kit which I would also recommend
Oh yes! makes for tremendous handling! just ask Little Miss WRX i let her drive it last week she loved it!
Old 18 June 2002, 11:44 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
just do it, this is how the car should have been when it left the factory!
Incedentally, the new WRX has virtually no bump steer, i wonder why it is praised for its front end grip compared to the clasic shape car?
Old 19 June 2002, 12:23 AM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The first and most important mod for getting rid of the scoobs worst nightmare.........understear

Had mine done over a year ago. 'kin brill

Ian
Old 19 June 2002, 12:24 AM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

p.s. gotta be PE talk to Dirk

Ian
Old 19 June 2002, 12:25 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Dont you mean PS (Power Station)
Old 19 June 2002, 12:40 AM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Red face

OK smartarse

Ian
Old 19 June 2002, 08:38 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Talking

Very, very groovy.

Would also recommend

Anti-lift kit
Proper strut braces - STi Alloy ones - expensive but easy on the eye, or other Cusco?
Good Geom set up
Solid anti-roll bar links, especially rears

Overall - very yummy

Trout
Old 19 June 2002, 08:52 AM
Viper
Scooby Regular

Had mine done over a year ago, first mod on my P1 and have since been back 4 times for further mods and work.

Definitely recommend it..

Phil
Old 19 June 2002, 08:55 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

...and decent Anti-Rollbar bushes (such as Powerflex) too....
Old 19 June 2002, 09:25 AM
Neal Gibbons
Scooby Regular

I have the bump steer on my MY00, not only is it a great mod but it's the attention to detail PS put into setting your car up that impressed me. It's not just a case of 'it's in tolerance so it will do' then tighten everything up and forget it but a case of making sure it's spot on in all areas, tweaking it, tightening it, tweaking it again etc. Gives you great confidence, you watch the guys do it and they let you know exactly what they are doing and why. Worth every £

Neal
Old 19 June 2002, 09:45 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Thumbs up

I've had it done, the car is transformed

If (and its a hard found if) there is one con amoungst the numerous pro's then its the point that it has dialled out alot of the safety understeer when entering a bend too fast (catering for the ham-fisted masses) a result is that its more prone to lift off oversteer, but its so predictable / catchable its not an issue IMO

Just being subjective I love it

Justin
Old 19 June 2002, 03:20 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

I seem to have increased tyre wear on the inner fronts, anyone else with bumpsteer see this?

Greg
Old 19 June 2002, 03:25 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

out of curiosity has anyone had geometry done first, then @ a later date had bump-steer mod done & noticed the difference ??

shunty
Old 19 June 2002, 03:26 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Gregh,

I'm on my second set of tyres since the mod and all have worn in a nice even way.

Better than before.

Ian
Old 19 June 2002, 03:31 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

out of curiosity has anyone had geometry done first, then @ a later date had bump-steer mod done & noticed the difference ??

Good question Shunty, thanks. btw - where in Wakefield u from? - would you mind emailing me: steve@hirsty.co.uk

damn..... I'm beginning to wish I'd never subscribed to this thread now
Old 19 June 2002, 03:43 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
I've also seen wear on the inner fronts, its not excessive but its there nonetheless - I thought the geometry needed re-adjusting but it was found to be spot on.

Justin

more Email notification for Burr
Old 19 June 2002, 04:15 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

I'll have a look at my tyres later on this evening. But i dont think i have what i would class as excessive wear.

But is sure does make my car corner well
Old 19 June 2002, 04:23 PM
Little Miss WRX

Oh yes! makes for tremendous handling! just ask Little Miss WRX i let her drive it last week she loved it!
Yep, over a standard UK the handling is impressive.

I have to say I still prefer the way that my car handles - that is just stiffer suspension and geometry settings.
Old 19 June 2002, 05:33 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

With regards to tyre wear on cars that have had the Powerstation "bump steer" steering rack reshimming modification:

My car was the guinee-pig for this modification. If you have this done, make sure that powerstation put a decent amount of negative camber on the front. I kept having to change tyres because the outside edge went bald whilst the rest of the tyre was fine... I asked on more than one occasion for more camber at the front because of this, but PS refused to do this because it would "upset the handling". It was interesting to see that they _now_ put significantly more negative camber on the front of bump-steered cars.

I will probably go to Elite for my next alignment setup, I have been reliably (and independently) informed that they have more sophisticated alignment equipment and that they should be able to set the alignment up A) more accurately and B) to the settings I ask for. I look forward to getting more reasonable tyre wear after Elite have sorted the alignment.

Moray
bbs.22b.com
Old 19 June 2002, 06:29 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Yep, over a standard UK the handling is impressive.
And from Little Miss Jap Jap Jap I take that as a big compliment!
Old 19 June 2002, 06:37 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

I suppose I should too...
Old 19 June 2002, 08:07 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Cool

Burr - I have mailed you, getting mine done @ TSL shortly.....would definetly recommend using them, well worth the 160 mile round trip.

shunty
Old 19 June 2002, 08:31 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Anyone had this experience?

At the moment, I'm still not convinced that its not just a placebo effect(or however you spell it ) as I understand that when the bump-steer is performed, the geometry is set up anyway. What's to stop someone thinking that a first-class geometry setup is the effect of bump-steer?

.....Just a thought?
Old 19 June 2002, 09:16 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

While we're at it - I understand Falkland Performance in Scotland also to the bump steer mod now.

Anyone had it done there - and any comments?

Rich
Old 19 June 2002, 09:45 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
If you know anything about race car suspension setup (i do) you know the importance of eliminating bump steer.

Bump steer explaned simply is this.

You are driving down a straight road and your suspension is compressed due to hitting a bump, the suspension being compressed causes the side that is compressed to steer in a direction other than straight ahead, making the car less stable. The same ocurs in droop.

Now if you are braking hard you are compresing the suspension and instead of having optimal toe, your wheels start to steer away from each other, reducing straight line braking grip and stability. Add a bump into the braking scenareo and your car starts to steer itself off the straight direction.

Now add roll into all this and you get even more effect on the handling. Basically you, the driver, are not in control of the steering of your car.

Bump steer is a bad thing. As to its safety after being removed, if it were unsafe, why is the Bug eyed WRX built with virtually no bumpsteer? Subaru have masively improved the front suspension, if you have driven a new WRX straight out of the box compared to a Classic shape scoob straight out of the box you would know what i mean.

Old 19 June 2002, 09:52 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Call me thick here, if you like, but that last post....

Is that

(1) "the bump steer mod is the mutts nutts"

or

(2) "the bump steer mod is a load of nutts"?

.../me feels a bit thick tonight.

What I need to know is this..... does the mod give the car bump steer, or remove it?

[Edited by BuRR - 6/19/2002 9:53:17 PM]

Quick Reply: Bump-steer Modification. Opinions, please?