Any benefit going for a bigger scoop

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2020, 09:21 PM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Any benefit going for a bigger scoop

Hi guys

Got a sti prodrive style and thinking of putting a bigger scoop on the hood for track days just wounding if there is any real benefit on doing it like. I know fmic would be the best option but want to stick with our mishmoto 08-14 tmic

Pfa

The following users liked this post:
Old 28 October 2020, 09:59 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Hood
Old 28 October 2020, 10:01 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

My personal opinion is that it's more important to have a good seal around the intercooler and undertray than a bigger scoop.

Also, I am not personally convinced that fmics are "better" for an average power Subaru on track. Certainly mine drives much nicer with an sti tmic than a fmic on track.

​​​​​​

Old 29 October 2020, 02:05 AM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
My personal opinion is that it's more important to have a good seal around the intercooler and undertray than a bigger scoop.

Also, I am not personally convinced that fmics are "better" for an average power Subaru on track. Certainly mine drives much nicer with an sti tmic than a fmic on track.

​​​​​​
Yeah that was the only downside to the bigger tmic like they don't to a undertray to fit we done our own not the best looking but seals great like

Old 29 October 2020, 08:43 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Have you monitored temps before and after installing the Mishimoto tmic? A friend of mine had one and data showed it to be less efficient than his original Sti one; it was tracked. I'd be interested in your feedback.
Old 29 October 2020, 10:19 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkins 1995
Yeah that was the only downside to the bigger tmic like they don't to a undertray to fit we done our own not the best looking but seals great like
That looks great and should work fine (I think)
Old 29 October 2020, 12:42 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

As said, I've data logged temps and the secret is a good seal from scoop to TMIC. I reverted back to standard scoop once I'd got my seal to be efficient. Smaller scoop is less drag too (and you don't look like a maxpower **** either). The engine rocks quite a lot so this has to be factored in with your seal design.
The following users liked this post:
Old 29 October 2020, 01:57 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

If your intercooler is getting hot throw a bit of water on it

Not what you asked but its there though.
Old 29 October 2020, 02:36 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Have you monitored temps before and after installing the Mishimoto tmic? A friend of mine had one and data showed it to be less efficient than his original Sti one; it was tracked. I'd be interested in your feedback.
Simon ( JGM ) told me more or less the same Apr 2014

So I threw my large TMIC from CXRACING one out
You can still google it Item Code: IC0004-B-Y-P-PIPE

Old 29 October 2020, 02:44 PM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Not monitored it yet tbh like not done many miles since this lock down
Old 29 October 2020, 02:47 PM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Floyd
As said, I've data logged temps and the secret is a good seal from scoop to TMIC. I reverted back to standard scoop once I'd got my seal to be efficient. Smaller scoop is less drag too (and you don't look like a maxpower **** either). The engine rocks quite a lot so this has to be factored in with your seal design.

Going to get the group n engine mounts to help with the engine rock like and yeah had one on before look way to big for the car like plus flex like hell after a 100. I was looking at the rpg carbon one this time and was only going to run it on track days like
Old 29 October 2020, 02:50 PM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
If your intercooler is getting hot throw a bit of water on it

Not what you asked but its there though.
Haha yeah plus point is they come with intercooler spray from factory
Old 29 October 2020, 02:52 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

not really, if you have temp issues only realy fix is front mount, the top is a bad place for an intercooler no matter what you do.
Old 29 October 2020, 02:55 PM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Linksfahrer
Simon ( JGM ) told me more or less the same Apr 2014

So I threw my large TMIC from CXRACING one out
You can still google it Item Code: IC0004-B-Y-P-PIPE
I'll have to compare the Oem to the mishimoto one with temps etc the price I picked this mishimoto 08-14 tmic couldn't say no like 😂
Old 29 October 2020, 03:20 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Going to get the group n engine mounts to help with the engine rock like and yeah had one on before look way to big for the car like plus flex like hell after a 100. I was looking at the rpg carbon one this time and was only going to run it on track days like
Its the top engine mounting strut that really flexes and they get softer over time, so yes do replace it.
The Group N ones are fine if you only track but if you run a daily Id steer clear of them as you are likely to notice more more vibration into the car , I ran a new standard one.
The Scoop wont make you go appreciably faster or slower on the track and you will back off anyway when you look down at the fuel gauge dropping in sympathy to your Jaw.
Far more important to speed the money on a set of old rims and track tires as you don't want to mess up the nice OZ's
Old 29 October 2020, 04:18 PM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Its the top engine mounting strut that really flexes and they get softer over time, so yes do replace it.
The Group N ones are fine if you only track but if you run a daily Id steer clear of them as you are likely to notice more more vibration into the car , I ran a new standard one.
The Scoop wont make you go appreciably faster or slower on the track and you will back off anyway when you look down at the fuel gauge dropping in sympathy to your Jaw.
Far more important to speed the money on a set of old rims and track tires as you don't want to mess up the nice OZ's

Don't mind the more noise or vibration tbh like be going full pollybush etc after Christmas like and true don't want to mess the oz up haha we get our tires for next to nothing as father in law owns and tyre garage haha
Old 29 October 2020, 06:20 PM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Bugs just don't look right with the bigger blob scoop.

It would be a shame to spoil what is currently a very nice standard looking Prodrive Bug.
Old 29 October 2020, 08:35 PM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike74
Bugs just don't look right with the bigger blob scoop.

It would be a shame to spoil what is currently a very nice standard looking Prodrive Bug.
Cheers mate would only put it on for track days like
Old 29 October 2020, 08:36 PM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
not really, if you have temp issues only realy fix is front mount, the top is a bad place for an intercooler no matter what you do.
True but don't really want to go front mount though the scoop would just get a bit more air flow for track days like
Old 30 October 2020, 04:57 AM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Cheers mate would only put it on for track days like
Ah right, I didn't realise scoops were easily interchangeable, I assumed they were somehow bonded to the bonnet.
Old 30 October 2020, 09:55 AM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike74
Ah right, I didn't realise scoops were easily interchangeable, I assumed they were somehow bonded to the bonnet.
Yeah just got to take undertray off and it a couple of bolts
Old 01 November 2020, 01:31 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

I had been reading this post and but then answered a 2013 thread by mistake

However my post might encourage the thread opener to stay with his current scoop , which like mike74 I also see as more aesthetic on a Prodrive Bug,
and like Floyd reasons (larger = >drag ) for a track car a good aerodynamic solution.

So here it is copied over.

It was my understanding that Sti needed the bigger scoop especially at lower speeds on the higher powered production road car ( Post Japanese Producers 280bhp agreement )
to prevent charge temperature increase causing knock. The introduction of the IHI 34 Turbo >2001 having exasperated the situation together with US Emission Laws.

So why do we not use the Large scoop on Rally Cars? . The WRC cars had to produce still greater power, and especially in higher temperature regions you needed a bigger / better cooled IC . This could only be solved with FMIC and additional bonnet vents to remove the IC/ Radiator hot air before it flowed over the engine. Engine and Turbo cooling was actually assisted by the Bug / Newage Scoop. The larger the scoop however the worse the drag is and is detrimental for smooth airflow over the car. For this reason the Sti large scoop was not ( as far as my research goes ) used in the WRC. Rally avg speeds are typical 110 kmph . some are even higher. Unless the drivers were roasting in the cockpit while the drag was worth a Tenth of a second / km even the small roof vents had to be dropped down.

On track cars the drag is even higher still and due to the higher average and higher maximum speeds the larger the scoop the higher the positive lift pressure becomes due to turbulence generated over the screen / roof. But a FMIC may not be needed for sub 400 bhp as sufficient Airflow is available from a WRX / Newage scoop,

For example when driving on the Ring , in light traffic a good Road Subaru / Pilot will average 130kmph , (about 8 1/5 mins bridge to gantry ) with many tuned Subarus exceeding straight line 225 kmh so on the Track large scoop size becomes a Drag liabilty. Take a look at www.wrcwings.tech , this link helped me against my fading memory.

However if you want to drive around Town at legal max and protect your circa 400 , 400 + bhp build then a FMIC is the only way. Just hook up a temperature sensor on your TMIC and you soon see that charge temp increases quickly <30 mph ,
if you want some help use the IC water cooling.

Old 01 November 2020, 02:00 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't I better to fit a splitter inside the existing scoop to more evenly distribute the airflow rather than going bigger? in terms of volume and airflow most will hit the back of the scoop and pass through the rear of the intercooler - wouldn't it be an idea to put a splitter / diffuser inside the scoop to deflect some more airflow towards the front of the intercooler kind of like a scoop within a scoop if that makes sense???
Old 01 November 2020, 08:54 PM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

I had been reading this post and but then answered a 2013 thread by mistake

However my post might encourage the thread opener to stay with his current scoop , which like mike74 I also see as more aesthetic on a Prodrive Bug,
and like Floyd reasons (larger = >drag ) for a track car a good aerodynamic solution.

So here it is copied over.

It was my understanding that Sti needed the bigger scoop especially at lower speeds on the higher powered production road car ( Post Japanese Producers 280bhp agreement )
to prevent charge temperature increase causing knock. The introduction of the IHI 34 Turbo >2001 having exasperated the situation together with US Emission Laws.

So why do we not use the Large scoop on Rally Cars? . The WRC cars had to produce still greater power, and especially in higher temperature regions you needed a bigger / better cooled IC . This could only be solved with FMIC and additional bonnet vents to remove the IC/ Radiator hot air before it flowed over the engine. Engine and Turbo cooling was actually assisted by the Bug / Newage Scoop. The larger the scoop however the worse the drag is and is detrimental for smooth airflow over the car. For this reason the Sti large scoop was not ( as far as my research goes ) used in the WRC. Rally avg speeds are typical 110 kmph . some are even higher. Unless the drivers were roasting in the cockpit while the drag was worth a Tenth of a second / km even the small roof vents had to be dropped down.

On track cars the drag is even higher still and due to the higher average and higher maximum speeds the larger the scoop the higher the positive lift pressure becomes due to turbulence generated over the screen / roof. But a FMIC may not be needed for sub 400 bhp as sufficient Airflow is available from a WRX / Newage scoop,

For example when driving on the Ring , in light traffic a good Road Subaru / Pilot will average 130kmph , (about 8 1/5 mins bridge to gantry ) with many tuned Subarus exceeding straight line 225 kmh so on the Track large scoop size becomes a Drag liabilty. Take a look at www.wrcwings.tech , this link helped me against my fading memory.

However if you want to drive around Town at legal max and protect your circa 400 , 400 + bhp build then a FMIC is the only way. Just hook up a temperature sensor on your TMIC and you soon see that charge temp increases quickly <30 mph ,
if you want some help use the IC water cooling.

​​​​​Looks like I'll just keep the Oem one on for track days haha
Old 01 November 2020, 09:01 PM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Isn't I better to fit a splitter inside the existing scoop to more evenly distribute the airflow rather than going bigger? in terms of volume and airflow most will hit the back of the scoop and pass through the rear of the intercooler - wouldn't it be an idea to put a splitter / diffuser inside the scoop to deflect some more airflow towards the front of the intercooler kind of like a scoop within a scoop if that makes sense???

​​​​The Zero Sports undertray already has bits to direct airflow we just cut the metal off the bottom and replaced with rubber to go with the bigger tmic not the best looking but dose have a good seal like