621bhp to sell or not???????

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2020, 08:58 AM
jimbo14prodrive
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 621bhp to sell or not???????

Hi all,

I bought my blue 05 widetrack blob sti standard 13 years ago and over those years and at massive expense enginetuner spec'd, built the engine and mapped it to a reliable 621bhp. The car has only done 78k miles from new with about 4k on the new engine which includes 1k running in by alan and is very clean but i am struggling to find info online as to how much people are actually paying for a well built reliable 600+ bhp scooby. It is pretty much rcm parts, rotated gt35 etc etc but can the group please advise what similar cars have sold for ?

Cheers.
Old 14 October 2020, 10:04 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Wrong time to sell something like that mate. A guy on here was selling his recently but didn't get much interest or the asking price so he decided to put it away.
Old 14 October 2020, 11:02 AM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

I would agree, if you can hold on until spring that would be best, better weather and hopefully less of the C word going about.
Old 14 October 2020, 01:01 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

I had mine up for sale recently but no one wanted to pay what I was asking. I had 4 low ball offers that were all less than I paid for the car and close to what I've spent on it in the past year! I wasn't willing to let it go cheap just for the sake of it so I've decided to keep it for the time being and may think about advertising in the spring. If someone is genuinely interested in it then they'll understand what it costs to build these monsters, otherwise they are just chancers. I've also not been able to sell my 182 Clio track car and usually they sell very quickly. It makes you realise why so many of these great builds then get broken, it's a shame but they're just worth more in parts.
Old 14 October 2020, 01:21 PM
jimbo14prodrive
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adam.pah
I had mine up for sale recently but no one wanted to pay what I was asking. I had 4 low ball offers that were all less than I paid for the car and close to what I've spent on it in the past year! I wasn't willing to let it go cheap just for the sake of it so I've decided to keep it for the time being and may think about advertising in the spring. If someone is genuinely interested in it then they'll understand what it costs to build these monsters, otherwise they are just chancers. I've also not been able to sell my 182 Clio track car and usually they sell very quickly. It makes you realise why so many of these great builds then get broken, it's a shame but they're just worth more in parts.
Yes these monsters cost so many thousands to build properly, im in no rush to sell just trying to get an idea how much they go for, looks like she will get tucked away in the garage for another winter. I also have a clio 182 track car on jenvey throttle bodies and i have so much fun in that considering its 1/3rd the bhp. I have seen several advertised previously at 18k but i also see scoobs had gone up in price too
The following users liked this post:
Old 14 October 2020, 01:28 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo14prodrive
Hi all,

I bought my blue 05 widetrack blob sti standard 13 years ago and over those years and at massive expense enginetuner spec'd, built the engine and mapped it to a reliable 621bhp. The car has only done 78k miles from new with about 4k on the new engine which includes 1k running in by alan and is very clean but i am struggling to find info online as to how much people are actually paying for a well built reliable 600+ bhp scooby. It is pretty much rcm parts, rotated gt35 etc etc but can the group please advise what similar cars have sold for ?

Cheers.

get some pictures up mate, sounds great.
Old 14 October 2020, 01:54 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Saw a silver blob for sale about 2 yearsago for 14-16k running 641 if that helps, it was then for sale last year for 11-12 with low compression on one of the cylinders

But no, I wouldn't sell.
Old 14 October 2020, 03:06 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

A lot of the tracks seem to be closed or have limited availability so no one is really looking to buy a track oriented car at the moment because it will just be sat.
Old 14 October 2020, 03:29 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
A lot of the tracks seem to be closed or have limited availability so no one is really looking to buy a track oriented car at the moment because it will just be sat.
The tracks are open but the track days have been getting booked up way in advance due to people wanting to get some track time in before winter. I’ve not had a problem getting out on track though and it seems to be calming down again now that the colder weather has arrived. I think the fact that we’re heading in to a global recession is what’s stopping people from splashing out on expensive toys, that and the fact that they spent all their savings on landscape gardeners this year! 😂
Old 14 October 2020, 04:00 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

That explains it then lol. Was just having a little browse for the sake of it and it was either saying no availability or no spaces. So if you were thinking of getting a session in now you have missed it, makes the market for a track car much smaller.

I do remember though people were getting their houses and gardens done when lockdown kicked in. Plus all the money saved from not going on holiday was probably spent on that lol.
Old 14 October 2020, 04:04 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Sorry just reading through the messages I realised I might be confusing people. I wasn't taking about your scooby mate. Just the usual track cars that people buy for a few quid.

Your scooby as you have rightly said would be down to the impending recession.
Old 14 October 2020, 04:05 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Sorry just reading through the messages I realised I might be confusing people. I wasn't taking about your scooby mate. Just the usual track cars that people buy for a few quid.

Your scooby as you have rightly said would be down to the impending recession.
No worries mate. 👍
Old 17 October 2020, 06:15 PM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll go against the consensus and say there's never been a better time to sell a fun/weekend car what with all Sunak's free money currently sloshing around, plus all the money that people are saving through not being able to spend it on holidays, pubs, clubs, concerts etc

Also people working from home saving money on commuting costs and realising that they no longer need a a sensible, economical commuting car and can instead get something a bit more fun and less practical.

I've seen numerous overpriced cars that had been hanging around failing to sell for a long time prior to lockdown that have all been snapped up during lockdown.

Anyone struggling to sell any car right now must have it seriously overpriced.

Any economic hardship as a result of covid certainly hasn't kicked in yet, most people are more flush than usual.
Old 17 October 2020, 06:37 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

I sort of agree for the simple fact that a lot of good folk who own a Subaru will have to sell up because of this pandemic. I don’t know what the unemployment rate since COVID started but it’s a damn shame what some families are going through.
Old 17 October 2020, 07:56 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike74
I'll go against the consensus and say there's never been a better time to sell a fun/weekend car what with all Sunak's free money currently sloshing around, plus all the money that people are saving through not being able to spend it on holidays, pubs, clubs, concerts etc

Also people working from home saving money on commuting costs and realising that they no longer need a a sensible, economical commuting car and can instead get something a bit more fun and less practical.

I've seen numerous overpriced cars that had been hanging around failing to sell for a long time prior to lockdown that have all been snapped up during lockdown.

Anyone struggling to sell any car right now must have it seriously overpriced.

Any economic hardship as a result of covid certainly hasn't kicked in yet, most people are more flush than usual.

You do have a point but it isn't clear cut like that. Normal everyday cars have increased significantly, your golfs, a3 etc all gone up and they are selling for the simple fact prices are high across the board and if you need a car now you have no choice. People who are selling them can often sit on them for a while because they aren't commuting.

Your expensive sports cars etc, some are selling because like you said people are spending on going out but there is also the market where people could stretch to buy one of them and its many of those people who have been pushed out of the market because of the uncertainty or lack of work.

Now Adam's car was very well priced considering spec and that hasn't sold.

I'm being made redundant next week and have thought about selling up because the scooby is a second car, hardly gets driven, but I also know I will struggle to find one like mine especially with the amount of work done.

Last edited by NOSSY_89; 17 October 2020 at 07:57 PM.
Old 17 October 2020, 08:24 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

You do have a point but it isn't clear cut like that. Normal everyday cars have increased significantly, your golfs, a3 etc all gone up and they are selling for the simple fact prices are high across the board and if you need a car now you have no choice. People who are selling them can often sit on them for a while because they aren't commuting.

Your expensive sports cars etc, some are selling because like you said people are spending on going out but there is also the market where people could stretch to buy one of them and its many of those people who have been pushed out of the market because of the uncertainty or lack of work.

Now Adam's car was very well priced considering spec and that hasn't sold.

I'm being made redundant next week and have thought about selling up because the scooby is a second car, hardly gets driven, but I also know I will struggle to find one like mine especially with the amount of work done.
sorry to hear that mate, hope everything works out for you 👍
Old 17 October 2020, 08:32 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

@NOSSY_89 i have to agree, I think there are a very small minority of people who are actually looking at these cars at the moment. The simple fact is that when you’re stuck in a lockdown, it’s more important to have a nice garden than a fast car; especially when all the tracks are closed. I’ve had interest in mine but it’s all chancers looking for a bargain. What’s strange to me is that back in May I had 4 offers for the car between £15-16.5k but I didn’t want to sell until I had sourced a type RA to replace it. Then within a couple of months the market just fell flat. It’s a terrible time to be selling, even the traders are having a tough time of it. 18 months ago a fresh STi blob would fetch £12.5k before it landed, now they are hanging around, just check out piston heads and you’ll see the same ads month after month.

Im fortunate that I’m in a position to hold on to mine but I’m not going to waste time and money advertising at the moment. It’s the worst time of year to sell a car regardless of what’s happened this year so I’ll be holding mine until at least the spring. Perhaps I’ll have decided to keep it by then too 😂.

Maybe we need to get a consortium together so these cars can stay in the hands of proper enthusiasts.... just an idea 🤔

Last edited by adam.pah; 17 October 2020 at 08:34 PM.
Old 17 October 2020, 08:45 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johno01
sorry to hear that mate, hope everything works out for you 👍
Thanks mate. Been hitting the job applications but nothing has turned up.

@NOSSY_89 i have to agree, I think there are a very small minority of people who are actually looking at these cars at the moment. The simple fact is that when you’re stuck in a lockdown, it’s more important to have a nice garden than a fast car; especially when all the tracks are closed. I’ve had interest in mine but it’s all chancers looking for a bargain. What’s strange to me is that back in May I had 4 offers for the car between £15-16.5k but I didn’t want to sell until I had sourced a type RA to replace it. Then within a couple of months the market just fell flat. It’s a terrible time to be selling, even the traders are having a tough time of it. 18 months ago a fresh STi blob would fetch £12.5k before it landed, now they are hanging around, just check out piston heads and you’ll see the same ads month after month.

Im fortunate that I’m in a position to hold on to mine but I’m not going to waste time and money advertising at the moment. It’s the worst time of year to sell a car regardless of what’s happened this year so I’ll be holding mine until at least the spring. Perhaps I’ll have decided to keep it by then too 😂.

Maybe we need to get a consortium together so these cars can stay in the hands of proper enthusiasts.... just an idea 🤔
I think in May people were of the mindset we have been in this a few months now so should be coming out the other end. Obviously that hasn't happened. The prices are all over the place, like you said imports were hitting quite high but a lot don't seem to be selling. However when you look at sold prices some are going a lot higher but not being relisted so I assume genuinely sold. There is no consistency over all with prices.

I really can't explain it.

You should keep your car mate, I think the car you are buying is going to feel very different. One won't be better than the other (maybe, maybe not, depends where your're standing), just different. Also hurry up with pics lmaoooooo

Last edited by NOSSY_89; 17 October 2020 at 08:47 PM.
Old 17 October 2020, 09:14 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

@NOSSY_89 the prices people are asking aren’t the selling prices that’s for sure. I saw a type RA earlier in the year that ended up being sold for 30% less than it was advertised at, that’s a massive reduction. I was surprised when crazyspeedfreak decided to break his spec c recently but, if you have time, that seems to offer the best bang for buck. Ive considered it myself, I just can’t bring myself to pull it apart.

I hope you are able to get yourself sorted quickly. It is a horrible time for most people at the moment. I had to take a 20% pay cut this year, not ideal in the middle of a huge extension and with my wife 7 months pregnant but at least I could keep my job. I know a lot of people that are really struggling so hopefully this passes soon so we can all move on. 😔
Old 17 October 2020, 09:18 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

@NOSSY_89 Oh and you’re right, the 2 cars are very different beasts. I’m looking to keep the RA as an OEM car that will be used as a road car. If I keep the black one, I’ll be trying to get it out on track like it should be. It is an awesome machine but is a bit of a ball ache as a daily! 😂
Old 17 October 2020, 09:43 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

@NOSSY_89 the prices people are asking aren’t the selling prices that’s for sure. I saw a type RA earlier in the year that ended up being sold for 30% less than it was advertised at, that’s a massive reduction. I was surprised when crazyspeedfreak decided to break his spec c recently but, if you have time, that seems to offer the best bang for buck. Ive considered it myself, I just can’t bring myself to pull it apart.

I hope you are able to get yourself sorted quickly. It is a horrible time for most people at the moment. I had to take a 20% pay cut this year, not ideal in the middle of a huge extension and with my wife 7 months pregnant but at least I could keep my job. I know a lot of people that are really struggling so hopefully this passes soon so we can all move on. 😔
Yep, advertised price and selling price are two very different things. Have a look at auction prices on Ebay give a better indication.

All the best with the little one mate, exciting times and hope all is going well. Remember the scooby is a family car, fits a baby seat and the boot is big enough for a push chair.

How do you guys tag people in posts lol