Sponsored by:

Roll cage?? Newage

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2020, 09:46 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Roll cage?? Newage

Hi all I was thinking let’s put a fancy roll cage in ? Running out of things to do

Questions are.......

Will it increase chassis ridgity?

whats about that will bolt up without any ****ary ?

anybody selling one?

thanks all in advance
Old 23 August 2020, 01:05 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

my advice is don't go for a dash dodger one as I had one and crashed with it and if there was a passenger it would of taken there legs off or broken them at the very least , lucky I was on my own
The following 2 users liked this post by domino46:
Old 23 August 2020, 04:57 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

chassis would get stiffer , but it’s a stiff chassis any way , it would add a fair amount of weight , insurance company probably won’t like it , and could be more difficult to insure , for a good one they are quite a lot of money , is it really worth doing it ?
The following users liked this post:
Old 23 August 2020, 05:01 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

So much to think about when fitting a cage mate. Just like Domino said it can in some circumstances be more dangerous.

Rule of thumb, if I remember correctly. Happy to be told I'm wrong because its to do with safety and I don't know everything. Full cage not really advisable for a car used mostly on the streets, if you do then its full harness, 4 point or above and a helmet. With a full harness you shouldn't have any room to move forward, but thats something we often do when coming up to a junction, we move forward to look ahead.

Normal seat belt allows movement in the event of a roll to avoid crushing. A cage is rigid so you need a harness to hold you in or you will hit the cage.

I think the best option if you wanted a cage was to go half cage.

Have a look on Youtube, there is a chanel called Donut Media and they have a series call High Low. In that they compare expensive vs cheap stuff for cars. They did a few episodes on roll cages and it was a case of don't cheap out on it.

Last edited by NOSSY_89; 23 August 2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old 23 August 2020, 05:52 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
So much to think about when fitting a cage mate. Just like Domino said it can in some circumstances be more dangerous.

Rule of thumb, if I remember correctly. Happy to be told I'm wrong because its to do with safety and I don't know everything. Full cage not really advisable for a car used mostly on the streets, if you do then its full harness, 4 point or above and a helmet. With a full harness you shouldn't have any room to move forward, but thats something we often do when coming up to a junction, we move forward to look ahead.

Normal seat belt allows movement in the event of a roll to avoid crushing. A cage is rigid so you need a harness to hold you in or you will hit the cage.

I think the best option if you wanted a cage was to go half cage.

Have a look on Youtube, there is a chanel called Donut Media and they have a series call High Low. In that they compare expensive vs cheap stuff for cars. They did a few episodes on roll cages and it was a case of don't cheap out on it.
yes defo going for half cage
taking back seats out aswell replacing it with carbon panels is the plan if all works out with the cage
I have a really good engineer at hand to weld etc and boltify it all in once purchased.
Old 23 August 2020, 05:57 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
chassis would get stiffer , but it’s a stiff chassis any way , it would add a fair amount of weight , insurance company probably won’t like it , and could be more difficult to insure , for a good one they are quite a lot of money , is it really worth doing it ?
not stiff enough I drove a friends impreza with the laile and beatrush full under chassis brace and mine felt really **** on handling there after and they don’t make them anymore

also so this would look pretty cool and would also rock my boat 😂
Old 23 August 2020, 06:04 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

For the love of God, don't!!

I fitted a weld in roll cage back in 2010 (ish), and it made the car absolutely horrible.

The interior doesn't fit, so I've had no carpets or door cards forever, and it is utter, utter rubbish to use on even a weekend car. I hate taking the car out for a quick little drive now, because I have to faff about with 4pt seatbelts, which are crap on the road (not just putting them on, but if you are properly strapped in (which you must absolutely be with non inertia belts) you can't even see out of junctions properly because your body can't move).

For track days it's awesome, don't get me wrong, and it made a big difference to the handling, but just n-o for anything you plan on using on the road.

I'm about to start chopping mine out. Going to go for rear only and see how that is, but I might still go for a full removal.

I bitterly, bitterly, regret fitting the cage. It ruined what was a nice weekend car/track day toy.
Old 23 August 2020, 06:05 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Definitely stiffens up the car makes it feel more secure on the road...

Just make sure that you have the proper harnesses and seats as the o.e set up is not really up to the job,especially if you do or are thinking of doing track days...SJ.
Old 23 August 2020, 06:10 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik

I fitted a weld in roll cage back in 2010 (ish), and it made the car absolutely horrible.

The interior doesn't fit, so I've had no carpets or door cards forever, and it is utter, utter rubbish to use on even a weekend car. I hate taking the car out for a quick little drive now, because I have to faff about with 4pt seatbelts, which are crap on the road (not just putting them on, but if you are properly strapped in (which you must absolutely be with non inertia belts) you can't even see out of junctions properly because your body can't move).

For track days it's awesome, don't get me wrong, and it made a big difference to the handling, but just n-o for anything you plan on using on the road.

I'm about to start chopping mine out. Going to go for rear only and see how that is, but I might still go for a full removal.

I bitterly, bitterly, regret fitting the cage. It ruined what was a nice weekend car/track day toy.
If it is as you say a weekend/Track car then a roll cage is none negotiable really as the safety of the driver is paramount...I totally agree with you though that if its a daily driver depending on what cage is fitted,that it can be come quite a chore.SJ.
Old 23 August 2020, 09:17 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

i was thinking of the half cage to make it more ridged and also for that cosmetic rally look

but you do certeinly have a superb point about the harnesses which I won’t be having as I don’t do track days just B roads
ive emailed a few places to see what they can fabricate or make for me 🤞
Old 23 August 2020, 09:20 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi

Just make sure that you have the proper harnesses and seats as the o.e set up is not really up to the job,especially if you do or are thinking of doing track days...SJ.
thats exactly what I’m after s.j 👌

I love them lower footwell braces aswell very nice 🥰
Old 24 August 2020, 07:10 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If it's a half cage it may work OK, especially if you fit a bolt in cage like SJ's there. If you decide to go for a full cage, definitely have a ride in a caged car, and see if you feel comfortable with the big metal bars that go between the A and B pillars. I personally don't - I wince every time I climb into it now unless I'm wearing a helmet (this is with padding of course, but they still feel really close, even when following the roof line really, really close).

With a half cage the following doesn't really apply in the same way, but if you have a full cage, you really must fit 4/5/6 pt harnesses IMO, and use them exclusively. I think the 3pt belts and standard seats allow a lot of movement in the event of a crash, and with the extra metal bars, I think there's a real risk of knocking your head on the bar between the a&b pillars, and even maybe the main hoop depending on how the crash unfolds). With properly strapped in belt, this is less of a concern IMO, but the risk is still there depending on what happens.

Then again, it might be an age thing for me - when I was much younger I loved my little rally cage, and even cherished the fact that it made the car more "hardcore" to use... Now I'm pushing 40, and have kids whom I'd like to take to school in the Subaru occasionally, so this may be colouring my judgment
Old 24 August 2020, 07:53 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi

who fabricated the rear firewall panel s.j?
Old 24 August 2020, 08:56 AM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

How effective/what are the differences between a bolt in and full welded cage in terms of safety and stiffness/handling?

Last edited by IainMilford; 24 August 2020 at 08:59 AM.
Old 24 August 2020, 10:06 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

With regards to stiffness, with a weld in roll cage you can tie in the full a-pillar (with gusseting) and also tie the cage to the b-pillar etc, so from that POV I imagine it will make the shell stiffer than a bolt in cage, but I don't know if it'd be enough to notice a difference (there is a big difference for sure in the way the car feels with the cage vs no cage in my case). From a handling POV I think the absolute best would be a multi point weld in cage with welded on ties to a+b pillars, and also the front strut towers.
Old 24 August 2020, 12:35 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

in my view any road only car shouldn't have a cage as there are far to many safety factors that have already been said to think about ,,,, iv driven on the roads with a bolt in cage and it wasn't a good experience ,, like has been said ,, far to hard to see out at junctions ,, in the event of a crash your at far more risk of hitting stuff on the inside and causing yourself damage ,, unless your wiling to wear a helmet and have a full harness and padded cage its defo a risk but I understand some dont have much choice and need to drive there cars to places and events

saying that once my car is finished ill have no choice but to drive it where its going with a full cage in but it will only be driven from place to place and not driven around any other time but I WILL have a full harness on and lots of padding lol , and its a wrc spec cage so shouldn't move like the crap bolt in one did

Last edited by domino46; 24 August 2020 at 12:36 PM.
Old 24 August 2020, 01:03 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by domino46
in my view any road only car shouldn't have a cage as there are far to many safety factors that have already been said to think about ,,,, iv driven on the roads with a bolt in cage and it wasn't a good experience ,, like has been said ,, far to hard to see out at junctions ,, in the event of a crash your at far more risk of hitting stuff on the inside and causing yourself damage ,, unless your wiling to wear a helmet and have a full harness and padded cage its defo a risk but I understand some dont have much choice and need to drive there cars to places and events

saying that once my car is finished ill have no choice but to drive it where its going with a full cage in but it will only be driven from place to place and not driven around any other time but I WILL have a full harness on and lots of padding lol , and its a wrc spec cage so shouldn't move like the crap bolt in one did
If I do it I think I would want to go weld in, #becauseracecar lol. my car only really comes out for track days now and I’m also looking into towing it too.

Is your WRC build still ongoing then Steve? I heard Dave had packed it in and caused a few problems by the sounds of things too
Old 24 August 2020, 03:16 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZANY
who fabricated the rear firewall panel s.j?
Will have to ask the wife as It was part of my anniversary present...it was specially made in the states and imported in.SJ.
The following 2 users liked this post by stonejedi:
Old 24 August 2020, 06:48 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Sooo after all the genuine info provided thanks all

I’ve decided to scrap the whole cage idea and have just purchased an add-on to the rear cusco brace and ordered the rear boot one aswell

and stick to my summit braces that are on order for under neath 🤞

Old 24 August 2020, 07:13 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IainMilford
If I do it I think I would want to go weld in, #becauseracecar lol. my car only really comes out for track days now and I’m also looking into towing it too.

Is your WRC build still ongoing then Steve? I heard Dave had packed it in and caused a few problems by the sounds of things too

yes still ongoing , luckily most if it was done before he stopped working as it changed a few times and is now done with original WRC items as I decided to buy the genuine doors and panels rather than made ones but iv needed to adjust stuff with the build to take some of the RCM bits as it wasn't designed for them originally so iv had a bit of help from one of my family to get it finished enough to paint so fingers crossed it won't be much longer ,,need to finish it to put Rudis name on the side so now I have proper motivation
Old 24 August 2020, 07:14 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Honestly, I am so happy you did that Zany! It is a fine balance between making the car interesting Vs unusable (in my opinion, but I'm just a fat bloke on the internet )
Old 24 August 2020, 08:12 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Honestly, I am so happy you did that Zany! It is a fine balance between making the car interesting Vs unusable (in my opinion, but I'm just a fat bloke on the internet )
thanks pal it certeinly is a fine balance indeed

my fat **** isn’t so far off neither from fitting in the scuby seat no gym for ages

this is why this place is better than any facefack

it’s got people on with genuine knowledge and years of experience which I greatly appreciate in making decisions I’m unsure about or when I get a silly sticker idea

Old 24 August 2020, 09:17 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi.
If you have any issues with insurance at all for a roll cage then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Old 24 August 2020, 09:56 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Hi.
If you have any issues with insurance at all for a roll cage then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Ere DAN here’s the chance for you to be my HERO save my daily please! I’ll even buy a T-shirt with ya name on it I’ll even advertise Adrian flux on my scoob!!

I have 9years ncb on the scoob clean licences never had any claims can you mirror it and insure me on my Toyota Corolla registration R564 UYB

Simple yes or no will do

I emailed you when I first bought my scoob and you didn’t even acknowledge me you penchod gandufied dude.

Gary from KEITH MICHAELS on the other helped me out a lot and I’m very grateful to him to this day both my modified cars are with him
Old 25 August 2020, 12:50 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Its like when you add silly rated BHP turbo that has loads of lag the car feels slower because it isn't where you need it to be. On paper it seems 'quicker' but it isn't.

thanks pal it certeinly is a fine balance indeed

my fat **** isn’t so far off neither from fitting in the scuby seat no gym for ages

this is why this place is better than any facefack

it’s got people on with genuine knowledge and years of experience which I greatly appreciate in making decisions I’m unsure about or when I get a silly sticker idea
If you are wanting to stiffen it up there are a few things, seem weld the front but thats a massive job. Or keep adding different braces on places you think its lacking. Another option is harder poly bushes and stiffer suspension.
Old 25 August 2020, 04:30 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89

If you are wanting to stiffen it up there are a few things, seem weld the front but thats a massive job. Or keep adding different braces on places you think its lacking. Another option is harder poly bushes and stiffer suspension.

Im happy with the suspension tho doubt I’ll find anything better after trying a fair few sets in the past especially for road use.

its fully polybushed front to rear just need group N gearbox, engine mounts,and the all important cae shifter kit,

i will be busy with the scoob come winter 🤞

just getting all my bits together now whilst i have time to do some shopping 🤔
Old 25 August 2020, 09:03 AM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ere DAN here’s the chance for you to be my HERO save my daily please! I’ll even buy a T-shirt with ya name on it I’ll even advertise Adrian flux on my scoob!!

I have 9years ncb on the scoob clean licences never had any claims can you mirror it and insure me on my Toyota Corolla registration R564 UYB

Simple yes or no will do

I emailed you when I first bought my scoob and you didn’t even acknowledge me you penchod gandufied dude.

Gary from KEITH MICHAELS on the other helped me out a lot and I’m very grateful to him to this day both my modified cars are with him

Hi Zany,

Yes we'd certainly like to take a look at covering the Corolla - best thing to do is message me your full name and a contact telephone number and I can give you a call to discuss?

Thanks

Dan
Old 25 August 2020, 11:28 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Im happy with the suspension tho doubt I’ll find anything better after trying a fair few sets in the past especially for road use.

its fully polybushed front to rear just need group N gearbox, engine mounts,and the all important cae shifter kit,

i will be busy with the scoob come winter 🤞

just getting all my bits together now whilst i have time to do some shopping 🤔
If you find a good deal on the CAE shifter let me know, don't fancy paying £1200+ for it lol

What suspension are you running? its gone from £s per bhp to ££££££££s. Squeezing that extra bit of handling or breaking is getting more and more expensive lol

Hi Zany,

Yes we'd certainly like to take a look at covering the Corolla - best thing to do is message me your full name and a contact telephone number and I can give you a call to discuss?

Thanks

Dan
I know you get a lot of flack on here Dan but credit where credit is due this is what we are talking about, you interacting with the members rather than a generic copy and paste message
Old 25 August 2020, 05:02 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Hi Zany,

Thanks

Dan
pm sent
Old 25 August 2020, 05:20 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=NOSSY_89;12088342]If you find a good deal on the CAE shifter let me know, don't fancy paying £1200+ for it lol

What suspension are you running? its gone from £s per bhp to ££££££££s. Squeezing that extra bit of handling or breaking is getting more and more expensive lol

The cae shifter will be a present to myself when my little girl gets home I’ve promised it to myself since March when I put the scoob back on the road been meaning to get one for a few years now especially after getting the feel of one fackin WOW!

For me its all about contact and handling than power always has been

im running sti ra-r adjustable suspension mate
And then to compliment it
Sti genuine under brace, hard race trailing arms-anti lift kit,pro-r front wishbone bush kit,rear diff cradle etc all polybushed with black series bushes,cusco rear brace,cusco lower power braces.

just got few summit items replacing the c cradle at front for the summit item soon aswell might have to tie clip the undertray! and cusco to put during on come winter time and then who knows it’s never ending you always find sumat..

Quick Reply: Roll cage?? Newage