Sponsored by:

Hawkeye Spec C RA

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2020, 12:09 PM
Phil555
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hawkeye Spec C RA

Hi all, many people on here with a Hawkeye Spec C RA?

I'm looking at potentially getting one of these and looking for info as to peoples experiences with them please.

Cheers,

Phil
Old 30 June 2020, 05:29 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Anything specific? I only did 7k miles in mine over 3 years though.
The following users liked this post:
Old 30 June 2020, 09:37 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Phil I had one for a number of years before I sold it to build my classic track car TBH best Impreza I have owned if I didn't have the classic I would look for another one
Old 01 July 2020, 03:01 PM
Phil555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
Anything specific? I only did 7k miles in mine over 3 years though.
Just general concerns, issues etc.

Originally Posted by gussy
Phil I had one for a number of years before I sold it to build my classic track car TBH best Impreza I have owned if I didn't have the classic I would look for another one
Thanks, they do seem to be a great car.
Old 02 July 2020, 11:27 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

If the dash hasn’t been sorted, it will more than likely have gone sticky.

The batteries are a pain in the ****, as they are so small. Lucky if you can leave it a week before they’re flat. That was with a replacement Yuasa as well.

Make sure it has the original RA specific wheels and the STI suspension. They’re often replaced and that de-values the car.

The original exhaust is mild steel, including the back box. Mine was shot from the cat back and needed replacing.

Make sure it hasn’t been tracked to death. They were designed for it, but nobody is going to want a car that’s spent most of its life on one.

Every drive is an event and they get a lot of attention - especially in white. Pop the roof vent open and heads turn everywhere (admittedly most of the general public are wondering what the **** it is though )
The following 2 users liked this post by rossyboy:
Old 02 July 2020, 12:42 PM
Phil555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
If the dash hasn’t been sorted, it will more than likely have gone sticky.

The batteries are a pain in the ****, as they are so small. Lucky if you can leave it a week before they’re flat. That was with a replacement Yuasa as well.

Make sure it has the original RA specific wheels and the STI suspension. They’re often replaced and that de-values the car.

The original exhaust is mild steel, including the back box. Mine was shot from the cat back and needed replacing.

Make sure it hasn’t been tracked to death. They were designed for it, but nobody is going to want a car that’s spent most of its life on one.

Every drive is an event and they get a lot of attention - especially in white. Pop the roof vent open and heads turn everywhere (admittedly most of the general public are wondering what the **** it is though )
Thanks very much for the info. Much appreciated.
Old 03 July 2020, 12:45 AM
SpecCTypeRA
Scooby Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been fortunate to own one for over 5 years now and have no intention of selling.....It sits along side my Tommi Mak in the garage and i'd always go for the Subaru keys over the Evo every time. The drive is an event as has been said above and down my favourite road it brings a smile that not even a GTR could bring. As it was the homologation car for group N in 2005 it really is quite raw from a driving experience and I love that. (but still not as raw as my GC8 Version 5 STI Type RA I had some years back)
I have documentation tracing the hawkeye back to when it was imported into the UK years ago and have details of every owner, service history etc which in my opinion adds value but value is not important to me its the experience of driving the thing.

Sure the modern stuff is probably faster and can probably get away from you even on the 'twisties' but there is pleasure in hearing the diffs whining, turbo spooling up and a manual gear change along with actual power steering that modern cars cant provide. its noisy, rough, sounds like a metal box when you close the doors and its no fun for passengers, but the driving experience is awesome, The roof flap is a must on hot days and slightly quirky, people joke and think its a sunroof.! In terms of attention I don't think mine (white) gets hardly any, the OMG its a Subaru Impreza bubble burst a long time ago, but on the flip side the TME gets attention and thumbs up everywhere, and both cars are immaculate.

As close to original is a must now, ones with different wheels, seats, suspension, skirt kits and silly add ons etc should be avoided at all costs. Originality is key now. I keep an outline record of ones that come up for sale or imported. There were only around 12 in the country 5 years ago when I bought mine but that figure has gone up now to around 25-30 that I know of. Silver ones are very rare.

I love mine, ...... now where are the keys :-)

Old 03 July 2020, 10:43 AM
Phil555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SpecCTypeRA
I have been fortunate to own one for over 5 years now and have no intention of selling.....It sits along side my Tommi Mak in the garage and i'd always go for the Subaru keys over the Evo every time. The drive is an event as has been said above and down my favourite road it brings a smile that not even a GTR could bring. As it was the homologation car for group N in 2005 it really is quite raw from a driving experience and I love that. (but still not as raw as my GC8 Version 5 STI Type RA I had some years back)
I have documentation tracing the hawkeye back to when it was imported into the UK years ago and have details of every owner, service history etc which in my opinion adds value but value is not important to me its the experience of driving the thing.

Sure the modern stuff is probably faster and can probably get away from you even on the 'twisties' but there is pleasure in hearing the diffs whining, turbo spooling up and a manual gear change along with actual power steering that modern cars cant provide. its noisy, rough, sounds like a metal box when you close the doors and its no fun for passengers, but the driving experience is awesome, The roof flap is a must on hot days and slightly quirky, people joke and think its a sunroof.! In terms of attention I don't think mine (white) gets hardly any, the OMG its a Subaru Impreza bubble burst a long time ago, but on the flip side the TME gets attention and thumbs up everywhere, and both cars are immaculate.

As close to original is a must now, ones with different wheels, seats, suspension, skirt kits and silly add ons etc should be avoided at all costs. Originality is key now. I keep an outline record of ones that come up for sale or imported. There were only around 12 in the country 5 years ago when I bought mine but that figure has gone up now to around 25-30 that I know of. Silver ones are very rare.

Great info, thank you very much.
Old 05 July 2020, 11:34 AM
ej20boy
BANNED

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SpecCTypeRA

Epic write up.
Sadly most won't know what the car is or how special/rare it is.
the subaru Impreza image nowadays is not good but hopefully the chav image will go now they have moved onto ruining other cars

Last edited by ej20boy; 05 July 2020 at 11:36 AM.