Sponsored by:

I've been away a long time!

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2020, 06:59 PM
geoffroberts
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I've been away a long time!

Good evening fellow scoobynetters! I've probably not been here for at least 10 years and probably more like 15 since I was really active...so I'd just like to say hello again! I wonder if I recognise any of the old members? Who was the guy with the 95 ra that used to hill climb? He spent a lot of time and money on that car but made it into a great car...last thing I heard he put it up for sale? Anyway..after playing about with renault 5 gt turbos for the last few years and buying a house project I couldn't resist when a 95 wrx ra 2.1 stroker came up for sale. So here we are...I'm back on here and already loving subaru life again!

The following 5 users liked this post by geoffroberts:
Old 28 June 2020, 07:37 PM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome back. That must shift if the 2.1 is anywhere near it’s full potential given its weight as well. Always loved the 5s but I got into Renaultsport years after they mainly became rust buckets. Had a Clio 172 Cup with a Ktec turbo conversion, cams and fettled heads. Looked at a 5 raider recently. Would love to get one but the reality is it will never live up to the vision of them I've got in my head. You have any plans for the car or just enjoy as is?
The following users liked this post:
Old 28 June 2020, 07:37 PM
johnoggy
Scooby Regular

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

welcome back, car looks lovley
Old 28 June 2020, 07:43 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

More pictures needed.
Old 29 June 2020, 06:38 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Welcome back
Old 29 June 2020, 08:06 AM
geoffroberts
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys! Funnily enough the car is only running 280bhp at the wheels...not a lot at all. I can only assume it was mapped after the build to "run" the engine in and never mapped again. It's on a standard td05 with apexi power fc. So the plan is, once I've finished changing all oils and cambelt look out for some 1000cc injectors and a suitable turbo to compliment the 2.1. And obviously a different gearbox. Anybody run a ppg gearbox? I'll get some more pics of the car up tonight. It used to belong to David Seamans son (ex england goalkeeper) too!
Old 29 June 2020, 08:12 AM
geoffroberts
Scooby Regular

R666ory....mate the 5 turbo is so much fun..I mean real fun! One of mine is running a volvo 1.7l fuel injected turbo engine out the 480 running approx 170bhp....soooooo much fun! I also bought a 205 1.9 mi16 recently to compliment my growing 90's collection...be interesting to see how the 5 and 205 compare. I would highly reccomend viewing and driving one if you havent!
Old 29 June 2020, 09:29 AM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Welcome back, looks a tidy example
Old 29 June 2020, 09:38 AM
geoffroberts
Scooby Regular

Cheers ian. It's a little untidy in places, just the thin paint that has chipped off in places but the main thing is there is no rust!
Old 29 June 2020, 02:36 PM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by geoffroberts
R666ory....mate the 5 turbo is so much fun..I mean real fun! One of mine is running a volvo 1.7l fuel injected turbo engine out the 480 running approx 170bhp....soooooo much fun! I also bought a 205 1.9 mi16 recently to compliment my growing 90's collection...be interesting to see how the 5 and 205 compare. I would highly reccomend viewing and driving one if you havent!
Got 2 Scoobies now. 1 Prodrive Bug STI near as damned it 400bhp & a JDM STI 360+bhp but with similar torque to the Bug. To easy to go fast but a bit on the heavier side to be truly chuckable all over the place. Small, light cars with a decent power to weight ratio are so much fun. You can throw them into bends and the worst thing you will do is pick up understeer. Because they are light they won’t drag you off the road so easily & kill you, a bit of lift & opposite lock & your away. Big powerful cars are great fun. 400bhp isn’t big numbers these days but it is enough. 250bhp though in a car weighing 900kgs goes, stops, changes direction in a whole different manner. Anyway welcome! When I finally get round to building my Impreza powered, 4 wheel drive, liquid yellow Clio RS stripped out weighing 800kgs I will put it on here for all to see (the above may never happen as it’s nothing more than a pipe dream).
Old 29 June 2020, 05:14 PM
geoffroberts
Scooby Regular

R666ory is interesting you have thought about that as I've had the same idea with a renault 5 powered impreza! When I researched it there is already a guy doing exactly that on the r5 forums. He has shortened an impreza chassis and put the r5 body onto the floor pan. It's all together but not running...like all projects they get put on the back burner etc. However, i think the outcome would be something special! Apparently the width is spot on for an r5 body to sit on the impreza chassis...just the length that's the problem. I'll try and find some pics of it to post up. But as you say, a light car with plenty of power will always be interesting...especially 4wd! What turbo and injectors are you using on yours?
Old 29 June 2020, 07:19 PM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Now that sounds a barrel of laughs! Think a 5GT weighs in around 850kg. 4wd and Impreza running gear would add to it again but as a toy it would be insane! Both Cars are running standard injectors but have fuel pressure regs or fuel pressure mod. Bug has a Zen performance TD05 20G. The Blob has the standard VF37 pretty much maxed out. Both cars mapped by Andy F. The Blob has had some weight taken out of it to help it along but nothing drastic. I actually forgot some of the things I’d done till I started to really think about it. I have easily taken 40kg out of it by removing none essential ancillaries. But I’ve also removed other sundry items that added up to a further 30kg, a touch over at 31.5kg according to digital scales. So 70kg give or take. It’s comparable to the same year Spec C RA. I have toyed with selling them both actually. Would start again with an early RA similar to yours, one of the lightest models available. The only thing that stops me is I’d then be spending money trying to make it like a newage with better gear box, better chassis, better diffs, better brakes etc etc. So I’d be jumping out of the frying pan & into the fire! Also the Bug was the ugly duckling but have matured well. There are varying opinions of how desirable they are & future values but it may be worth hanging on to. P1s being sold for in excess of 20k, some nearer 30k. Not sure if they are actually changing hands at those sort of prices though. Sorry gone a bit off topic!