PSI3 data monitors (thoughts)

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2020, 08:35 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts
Default PSI3 data monitors (thoughts)

hi guys

just wondering what people's thoughts are on the PSI3 data monitors ?? ,, iv always liked them and have picked myself up one so I can put it in one of my many subarus lol

any tips or advice on using it ??,, ill be connecting as much of it up as I can so it should read most stuff and ill possibly be using it to control water injection

prefer something else instead ?

iv been on here long enough to know these are not to everyones taste but lets not make a argument over it or bitch at each other and if its not for you just give your reason but lets keep it light hearted lol
Old 04 June 2020, 10:02 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

i always liked them also.

Issue i found is that the dash-top ones, the screens, always end up failing to due to the heat expansion, dry joints caused by direct sunlight. i would say the actual din mounted in-dash are a better option. Ive had 2 LCD & 1 VFD unit over the years and they all failed the same way, and all dashtop mounted ones. you can get them repaired/resoldered etc from the guy that made them but his turnaround times are hectic as they are not part of his business anymore but he will still do them. his name is Simon @ Auwell electronics

bought one also for my hatch sti, but they dont run on 08+ canbus cars

just checked there, the last one i got fixed back in 2013 cost £75 to repair!

Last edited by Gambit; 04 June 2020 at 10:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gambit:
Old 04 June 2020, 10:50 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

I've had a VFD in my Forester STi (which was previously installed in my 2007 WRX wagon) and never had any issues with it during the 7.5 years I'd been using it between the 2 cars.
It was wired to read oil temp and pressure with additional sensors, I can't recommend it highly enough and like the 'OEM' look it provides.
The only disadvantage I could find is that the fonts are a bit small to read but your eyes eventually get used what part of the display to focus and you can read the important values (e.g coolant temp) at a glimpse when on track.
The following users liked this post:
Old 04 June 2020, 11:52 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

I've had my LCD dash mounted one for several years now, it has the matching dash shroud. I wouldn't be without it that's for sure, I see it as reliable and accurate.
I don't have oil pressure or oil temp as I don't have the sensors or wiring fitted. Still plenty of useful info on the display screens.
Mine has never suffered dry soldering joints.

I have found in the really hot weather that the screen can be hard to read, but after a few miles with the A/C on it gets better.
Brilliant bits of kit in my mind.
I also have a PDF of the full instructions manual...how to set alarms for road speed, RPM, boost etc (no sound but the screen flashes like mad), change what you want to show on the screens, welcome and goodbye messages, loads of stuff, so if anyone would like a PDF emailed to them, PM me your email address by all means and I'll ping it over to you....the instructions also lists all the hundreds of P codes and what they mean.

On a PSi3 you can search for current and historic fault codes too.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hawkeye D:
Old 04 June 2020, 11:59 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
I've had my LCD dash mounted one for several years now, it has the matching dash shroud. I wouldn't be without it that's for sure, I see it as reliable and accurate.
I don't have oil pressure or oil temp as I don't have the sensors or wiring fitted. Still plenty of useful info on the display screens.
Mine has never suffered dry soldering joints.

I have found in the really hot weather that the screen can be hard to read, but after a few miles with the A/C on it gets better.
Brilliant bits of kit in my mind.
I also have a PDF of the full instructions manual...how to set alarms for road speed, RPM, boost etc (no sound but the screen flashes like mad), change what you want to show on the screens, welcome and goodbye messages, loads of stuff, so if anyone would like a PDF emailed to them, PM me your email address by all means and I'll ping it over to you....the instructions also lists all the hundreds of P codes and what they mean.

On a PSi3 you can search for current and historic fault codes too.

thanks for the offer but im fairly sure iv found what I need , just need to get it printed off lol ,,, and then sit down with it for a hour to get my head around it all lol
Old 04 June 2020, 12:04 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Had my current one around 10 years, got that secondhand, no major issues, it is hardwired in and sits in one of the din slots,
Useful if Ive had it sat, run it low on the old fuel, then reset once the new fuel is in the system, as its not a daily.
Old 04 June 2020, 08:25 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Had my current one around 10 years, got that secondhand, no major issues, it is hardwired in and sits in one of the din slots,
Useful if Ive had it sat, run it low on the old fuel, then reset once the new fuel is in the system, as its not a daily.
Yeah the error code reading and ECU reset is a very handy feature on them!
Old 08 June 2020, 12:42 AM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always thought they are worth every penny. I have mine in a top pod, and yes the direct heat does make them play up. I've since put some aluminium tape on the underside of the pod, as a means to insulate it a bit. It has seemed to work, but it doesn't stop it getting too cold on a very cold day - 0°C
Old 08 June 2020, 06:06 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
I've always thought they are worth every penny. I have mine in a top pod, and yes the direct heat does make them play up. I've since put some aluminium tape on the underside of the pod, as a means to insulate it a bit. It has seemed to work, but it doesn't stop it getting too cold on a very cold day - 0°C
Interesting. What aluminium tape did you use if you don't mind me asking?
Great idea
Old 11 June 2020, 08:11 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
Interesting. What aluminium tape did you use if you don't mind me asking?
Great idea
No problem. I got it from a market, but it would be something simular to this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-ins...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 11 June 2020, 09:32 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

And cheap! Thank you.