Sponsored by:

Buying advice for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2020, 12:33 PM
bashman888
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying advice for a newbie

Evening people, I’ve decided I want an Impreza for my next car but there is just so much stuff out there to wade through that I thought I would ask for help.

I’ve got around 5k to spend but I could probably push this to 6k for the right car. Would just mean I don’t have any reserves just in case.

What the hell do I buy?! I definitely want a classic and I’d really like a later one as I just prefer the front end. So 98/99/00. An STI and a 2 door are out of my budget. I really would love a Steel grey coloured one. Are the U.K. 2000 worth a go or are the imports just better?

I build engines for a living so I’m not afraid of any mechanical issues but wiring and bodywork I can’t do. Should I be afraid of rust or just go in with an open mind. Some are being advertised with rusty arches. Others have been done and need painting. Should I be paying 3/4K for one that is gonna need some work or is that over the top?

Apologies for all the questions but I’ve been reading the forums for weeks now so have decided to ask direct.

Thanks. Ash

Last edited by bashman888; 18 May 2020 at 12:37 PM.
Old 18 May 2020, 12:56 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Hi and welcome

People will probably say if it has a spot of rust its worth a can of coke and a pack of crisps lol. But lets be honest these cars are running very thin on the ground. Whatever rust you see there will probably be more that you can't see. Check MOTs to see if any other rust was previously spotted.

You have a healthy budget and you could get a decent enough RB5. Just keep looking until one comes up for sale.
Old 18 May 2020, 01:13 PM
bashman888
Scooby Newbie

I agree. It’s the same with any car like this. They are so popular that any spot of rust people scrap them but now are starting to hold on to them. Like I say I have no problem with rust, I expect it really. I’ve owned a lot of Japanese cars so it comes with it.

I would LOVE an RB5. I have actually been offered one but the mileage is very high and it needs work too.
Old 18 May 2020, 06:10 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

There doesn't seem to be any on sale on eBay, was quite surprised by that. Might be worth waiting till after lockdown.
Old 18 May 2020, 06:45 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

not bad for 6k

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1994-Suba...0AAOSwMKFenfap

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-SUBA...IAAOSwROtem3jG

Last edited by the shreksta; 18 May 2020 at 06:48 PM.
Old 18 May 2020, 08:19 PM
bashman888
Scooby Newbie

Thank you for the eBay links. They are both slightly earlier cars than I wanted. I really do like the later shape.

are you the U.K. ones decent enough cars? Or do the Japanese ones Better them in all areas?
Old 18 May 2020, 08:29 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

These days there probably isn't much in it, most will be modded in some way or another. I can't remember if the WRX had a rear wiper, I think they did. I'm sure both came with TD04 turbos. Unsure on the actual engine itself but given the age probably had a rebuild.
Old 18 May 2020, 08:37 PM
bashman888
Scooby Newbie

Awesome. Thank you for that
Old 18 May 2020, 08:39 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Might be worth a look but doesn't mention if its forged.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Im...QAAOSwGLdeuzw3
Old 18 May 2020, 09:05 PM
bashman888
Scooby Newbie

I’ll have a read now
Old 19 May 2020, 07:51 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Join Type Ra forum, mostly classic owners, wealth of experience, and cars for sale. Very friendly.
Old 19 May 2020, 08:42 AM
bashman888
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Join Type Ra forum, mostly classic owners, wealth of experience, and cars for sale. Very friendly.
morning. Yeah I’ve done that and actually put the same post up. Both forums have been super helpful which is nice.

general consensus seems to be don’t worry about U.K. or JDM just buy the best example you can with your budget.
Old 19 May 2020, 08:57 AM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bashman888
morning. Yeah I’ve done that and actually put the same post up. Both forums have been super helpful which is nice.

general consensus seems to be don’t worry about U.K. or JDM just buy the best example you can with your budget.
Yeah, that's what I did when I bought my UK classic, 13 yrs ago, and still got it, still on the road.
Old 19 May 2020, 09:01 AM
bashman888
Scooby Newbie

Can’t imagine owning a car for that long. You obviously still love it?

would high mileage put any off?
Old 19 May 2020, 09:37 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

I'm trying to word this so it doesn't come across as my opinion but more food for thought. If the engine has been replaced then the mileage is still the same because of how the DVLA view it. However when you go to buy a car we often look at mileage to give a rough estimate on how much life is left on the engine and what other parts will need replacing, clutch etc. Now does that apply to more newer cars because with an older car there might be things that will need replacing if they are original items like hoses. That can be down to more age than use.

So with that in mind if an engine has been swapped out does mileage become less relevant. Lets say the average miles done per year are 10,000 these cars are 20 years old so that would put them at 200,000 miles.

If you're going to keep the car locked up then yeah you probably want a low miler but from my understanding you want to use it. 10years ago finding low mileage cars would have been easier. They have now been crashed, scrapped, broken for parts or stored away. How many classics do you see on roads these days.

I genuinely want to hear other peoples opinions on this because its something I've thought about myself. Prices seem to be on the up a guy had a UK car for sale for I think £2500 in white. It was sold super quick.
Old 19 May 2020, 10:14 AM
bashman888
Scooby Newbie

It’s weird you say that. When we put reconditioned engines in to customers cars you can’t believe the amount who expect us to reset the mileage back to 0. I personally still think the mileage is relevant. The gearbox, diffs, bushes have all still done that mileage.

but I’ve seen a couple cars for sale that have done big mileage. One was 180k. And I can’t work out if it puts me off. On one hand it does, but on the other it’s got to that mileage for a reason. So someone has probably looked after it.
Old 19 May 2020, 11:25 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Completely understandable that is.

Yep you're right gearbox and things have done that. Bushes will need replacing even if they are the original ones after a bit of driving lol. All depends on what car you are getting for your budget and what work has been done on it. There will be some that just don't make sense and spending that extra is worth it.

At the end of the day it will be you looking at the ODM, if high mileage puts you off walk away if it doesn't find the one where its had the work to not make it so high mileage if you get what I mean lol.

A 20 year old car will need work doing to it in some way or another. Some will require more than others.

I think I might be discouraging you but if you want a scooby to mess about with for 6 months then sell on it isn't the car for that anymore as a whole. Its gone back to being an enthusiasts car. Like I said before they are running thin on the ground and not many are daily driven.
Old 19 May 2020, 11:35 AM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bashman888
Can’t imagine owning a car for that long. You obviously still love it?

would high mileage put any off?
I was lucky as I bought from an enthusiast (from the now defunct Hants Subaru club). The car had 45K on it and was pretty much standard. It now has 103K and I've modified it with upgraded parts when necessary. It is only now (2000 yr, v6 in JDM money) showing rust on the n/s rear arch.

In your position I would be more concerned about rust, which unfortunately most have or have had. Getting any prospective purchase on a ramp and carrying out a thorough inspection of suspension turrets, arches, sills, is a must. A car may have had rusty arches filled just to make it look good to sell. Sounds like you can do the mechanical side of things yourself, saving money and also replacing worn parts with new.
Old 19 May 2020, 11:50 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Just to add to that get your hands right up in the rear arches from the outside and have a very good feel.
Old 19 May 2020, 12:17 PM
bashman888
Scooby Newbie

No you aren’t discouraging at all. I
do understand what you’re saying. I only chop and change because I love cars and always want to try something new. I’ve owned my Clio for two years and it’s such a good car. Ideally I’d like to keep the Impreza for a while.

so if you’re saying rust is my biggest issue to look for, what if I see rust but the car is cheap enough/good enough. For instance I’ve been offered an RB5 within my budget. It’s had the arches and sills done but needs paint. Along with a few other off jobs.
would you pick that over a U.K. car for the same price. My thoughts are at some point I’m going to get rust so so I get one that’s been done.
I DVLA history check every car for sale to see if it’s ever failed on rust previously.

thanks again for all the replies people. It’s been so helpful.
Old 19 May 2020, 12:29 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

The RB5 is a UK car mate.
Old 19 May 2020, 12:38 PM
bashman888
Scooby Newbie

Sorry yeah I did know that
Old 19 May 2020, 12:46 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

It wouldn't happen to be this one

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...rt-3500-a.html
Old 19 May 2020, 12:53 PM
bashman888
Scooby Newbie

Yep that’s it. Really nice guy and not far from me.
Old 19 May 2020, 01:31 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Budget for a gearbox, it might last, it might need the fluids changing, read the shockproof stuff has worked with people whos gears are crunching. A guy on here used it on a 6 speed DCCD in a newage, he tracked it and then later broke the car for parts. Replacement engine is the other thing purely because the advert seems to make it out its the original engine. Fuel pump, this might have been changed and potentially taking the injectors out to get them cleaned. Cambelt might need doing but they are 50,000 miles or 5 years whichever comes first.

There is probably other stuff but thats what I can think of at the moment.
Old 21 May 2020, 02:36 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Regarding these cars and high mileage, I'll add my tupence.

Although ours is a new age, engine is pretty much similar. We have owned ours for just over 12 years. It was bought used from a local 2nd hand car dealer with just over 40k on the clock, having previously been Subaru gatwicks demonstrator, then owned by a doctor. It has been used daily, and even though anything it has ever needed has been done it hasn't been looked after with the most exacting standards, but looked after non the less.
We have added 120k to the mileage so it has now covered 160k.

In that time it has been utterly reliable. Other than consumables, cam belts and renewed suspension the only mechanical thing it has needed is the three bearings inside the transfer box replacing as it started to sound like the gearbox was eating itself.