Sponsored by:

Ceramics vs heat wrapped stainless

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2020, 08:33 PM
MarkRF
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Ceramics vs heat wrapped stainless

I’ve been waiting for a set of ceramic coated headers from RCM for 5 weeks now with no definite ETA apparently due to a holdup at zircotec due to current circumstances.

Im keen to get the car back together but really want the headers fitted before the engine goes back in so I’m now considering alternatives.

Are the ceramic coated headers actually any better than the equivalent stainless headers with heat wrap? Bearing in mind the ceramic coated versions are twice the price at £1100.

Last edited by MarkRF; 16 May 2020 at 09:13 PM.
Old 16 May 2020, 09:30 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkRF
I’ve been waiting for a set of ceramic coated headers from RCM for 5 weeks now with no definite ETA apparently due to a holdup at zircotec due to current circumstances.

Im keen to get the car back together but really want the headers fitted before the engine goes back in so I’m now considering alternatives.

Are the ceramic coated headers actually any better than the equivalent stainless headers with heat wrap? Bearing in mind the ceramic coated versions are twice the price at £1100.
Yes they are better. Because the wrap tends to trap moisture that weakens the headers. However the main factor in durability is the grade of stainless used which tends to be T304 which is not that durable. Or buy expensive KillerB headers or I should say exhaust manifolds which are T321 grade stainless which are better quality.

So on my track car i have two options. A one off purchase of KillerB headers or treat headers a bit like clutches and brake pads - as a consumable item. So that is the route I have taken.

So don't expect them to last forever, wrapping or ceramic coating will improve their performance. But wrapping are more likely to shorten their life.

I run GT spec 2 Wrapped and expect to replace them every few years.
The following users liked this post:
Old 16 May 2020, 09:50 PM
MarkRF
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that reply Steve - that’s always been my understanding with wrap.. it’ll shorten the life of the pipe.

Ive got my down pipe wrapped and pretty much changed my mindset into it was now a consumable and will need changed at some point as you say.
Old 16 May 2020, 09:56 PM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I used Thermo Met recently, glad I did as the quality of their work is amazing, prices reasonable and a very fast turnaround. original plan was to go for zircotec but they quoted a 6 week lead time before the lockdown.

The following 2 users liked this post by Harryr34:
Old 16 May 2020, 09:59 PM
MarkRF
Scooby Regular

Harry,

one alternative I’ve considered is getting the stainless headers from RCM and having them coated myself - do you mind me asking what sort of money was in what you had done? Pm me If you prefer. The stainless version come in at around £600 so that gives me around 4-500 to work with getting them coated it could be an option.

to be honest if I could just get a decent estimate of when I’d have them it would make the decision far easier.
Old 16 May 2020, 10:08 PM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkRF
Harry,

one alternative I’ve considered is getting the stainless headers from RCM and having them coated myself - do you mind me asking what sort of money was in what you had done? Pm me If you prefer. The stainless version come in at around £600 so that gives me around 4-500 to work with getting them coated it could be an option.

to be honest if I could just get a decent estimate of when I’d have them it would make the decision far easier.
PM sent
Old 17 May 2020, 08:07 AM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Harryr34
I used Thermo Met recently, glad I did as the quality of their work is amazing, prices reasonable and a very fast turnaround. original plan was to go for zircotec but they quoted a 6 week lead time before the lockdown.

I saw a post on FB showing thermo met and it appeared to give amazing results re: the surface temperature, would be something I’d consider in the future!

I run RCM’s magma wrap on my car and other than tidying it up occasionally have never had a problem and it copes well with high EGT’s. Things to consider though is that my car lives in a garage and still runs the engine undertray so not a lot of moisture gets in there and if it does it easily gets burnt off.

The following users liked this post:
Old 17 May 2020, 08:54 AM
Mperregil
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much will it cost to do a set of RCM headers and up pipe with thermo met?
Old 17 May 2020, 10:46 AM
MarkRF
Scooby Regular

Good feedback guys, thanks for the replies.

Ill get a quote for getting the stainless versions done by thermo met- I’m sort of expecting it will be more overall to have it done than the ceramics but if I get a good lead time and the results are better I don’t mind that. I think anything up to £500 is a fair price?

my only concern is that the lagging may increase the size of the pipes to the point clearance may be an issue?

Last edited by MarkRF; 17 May 2020 at 10:51 AM.
Old 17 May 2020, 11:07 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

My lot when i got it coated by Zircotec for my project build,still looks as good today....

.SJ.

Old 17 May 2020, 04:52 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

i have one car with the downpipe wrapped and one with it is standard and no wrapping at all , they are both sports cats , plus i had wrapped headers , does it keep the engine bay a bit cooler yes, does it make a big difference no , would i do the wrapping again no
Old 18 May 2020, 08:59 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

Zircotek had a major fire last year and this caused a massive issue with already long lead times............

bear in mind that RCM headers and (better IMO) matching Harvey Smith 'trick' up-pipes are available at more cost effective pricing
Old 20 May 2020, 04:31 PM
MarkRF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
bear in mind that RCM headers and (better IMO) matching Harvey Smith 'trick' up-pipes are available at more cost effective pricing
Would have happily bought from you going by your reputation on here but couldn’t get hold of you so went elsewhere.

Quote came back from thermomet in good time coming in at £650 (assuming inc vat) and a 1-2 week lead time.

Here is a picture of one they’ve previously done with surface temp reduction quoted at 70-80%

http://dmitrij-sribnyj.com/blog/ther...own-on-scr-brz

Last edited by MarkRF; 21 May 2020 at 08:31 AM.
Old 21 May 2020, 08:39 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

odd, we have tried to maintain someone in the office most days since this virus thing kicked off and have certainly kept up with emails...........
Old 21 May 2020, 03:00 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by stockcar
odd, we have tried to maintain someone in the office most days since this virus thing kicked off and have certainly kept up with emails...........
I've never had an issue getting hold of you, even in these weird times.
Old 23 May 2020, 01:22 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Just buy RCM products from AS Performance, they are better priced anyway.
wrap them with DEI titanium againfron ASPerformance.

if you wrap them properly. Wrapping all primary’s individually. With a good overlap and lock wire done with the correct tool every inch.
They will last years with no problem what so ever.

The problem with wrapping is most people are crap at it. 2no 50ft 2” wide rolls will be needed to do headers and a down pipe. With a couple of Meters spare.

I think the last headers and down pipe I wrapped took 4hours
Old 23 May 2020, 02:49 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by joe v3sti

if you wrap them properly. Wrapping all primary’s individually. With a good overlap and lock wire done with the correct tool every inch.
They will last years with no problem whatsoever.
Agree 👍
Old 24 May 2020, 02:05 PM
Kaosone
Scooby Regular

Received 86 Likes on 76 Posts

DEI do a silicone spray sealant for exhaust wrap to prevent it holding moisture...

https://www.designengineering.com/hi...g-spray-black/
Old 26 May 2020, 10:03 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaosone
DEI do a silicone spray sealant for exhaust wrap to prevent it holding moisture...

https://www.designengineering.com/hi...g-spray-black/
Don't use that. I've heard nothing other than bad things from spraying the wrap. It seems to make it all fall apart in record time. If you fit it, tie it correctly and leave it it's much better.
Old 26 May 2020, 10:17 AM
Kaosone
Scooby Regular

Received 86 Likes on 76 Posts

I like the look of that rigid foil sheet stuff, seems like it’d lash to headers fairly easy with some metal ties & removes all the issues with wrap...
Old 07 June 2020, 03:02 PM
daveriley123
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have removed the transport bracket before fitting
Old 21 June 2020, 04:57 PM
MarkRF
Scooby Regular

Just closing this one off.

I was very interested in the thermomet lagging and considered wrapping either Roger Clark stainless manifolds or Fuji racing - which both seem identical. However I was assured by RCM I’d have the ceramic manifolds in due course.

After 10 weeks they’ve turned up and I fitted them this weekend. Quality seems very good, the finish on the coating seems excellent - it’ll be interesting to see how it holds up.

pics as always;

​​​​​​​
The following 3 users liked this post by MarkRF: