Sponsored by:

HELP - Hawkeye Alarm & Immobiliser Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2020, 09:38 AM
Samj
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HELP - Hawkeye Alarm & Immobiliser Issues

Morning guys! Having some trouble with my 2006 WRX Hawkeye Wagon that I could really use some help with. A number of weeks back the button on the key stopped working for the central locking & immobiliser, I thought it would be a simple case of changing the battery in the key, but that made no difference. As a workaround I started using the keypad inside the car, under the right hand side of the steering wheel that pulls down (turn key so dashboard lights up, move key back one position, press in 4 digit code, then it would start).

Now it seems as of this morning that no longer works either! It started fine the first time, I drove it, stopped for 5 mins, got back in to start it again and the code this time just set the alarm off and wouldn't allow me to start it. Putting the code in now doesn't turn the alarm off either, it just keeps going off and won't do anything else. I'm now getting a red flashing symbol on the dashboard in the shape of a key that wasn't there before.

Do any of you know how I might be able to fix this please? The car is currently stuck outside my wife's work, which really isn't ideal. The alarm isn't going off now that I've got out and locked it with the key, but the moment I unlock it with the key the alarm starts again
Old 01 May 2020, 10:17 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

The key pads are prone to failure , there is a chance you are putting digits into the pad but only three digits actually going in , from memory get it wrong three times and it locks the pad which is why the key/immobiliser light has come on , there is a code to unlock it , contact a sigma ? alarm fitter , plus new key time , i assume a uk subaru rather than jdm ? from memory a red light flashes once as you put a digit in check it’s flashing each time , the key pads can be replaced
Old 01 May 2020, 10:19 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

First off, good job you knew the PIN.
Did a subaru alarm manual not come with the car?? and do you not have 2 keys as usually supplied??

If the battery went flat in the key, then it may need re-pairing to the alarm again.
If you open the door with the key and the alarm goes off you should be able to turn it off using the keypad code.

The red key shaped symbol flashing on the dash means the key is not in the ignition to clear the OEM immobiliser before starting the car.

Not sure whether the Hawkeye comes with the old M30 or newer S30 sigma alarm so two options

M30 alarm users manual - teaching keyand fobs for pairing to alarm is near the back
http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/uploads...m30_manual.pdf

S30 alarm
Programming Radio Keys to the System:
The user can add or remove radio keys to/from the system as follows:
i) Type in to the keypad **
ii) Type in to the keypad the <existing PIN code>
iii) Type in to the keypad *991 * < the number of keys to be used> #
iv) Press the first Radio Key button briefly and release, the siren will bleep and the dashboard LED will flash.
v) Repeat until all Radio Keys have been taught to the system.
Note the maximum number of Radio Keys is 4 and all Radio Keys required to operate the system must be taught
during this one operation - any Radio Key not included will no longer operate the system.
Old 01 May 2020, 10:20 AM
Samj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
The key pads are prone to failure , there is a chance you are putting digits into the pad but only three digits actually going in , from memory get it wrong three times and it locks the pad which is why the key/immobiliser light has come on , there is a code to unlock it , contact a sigma ? alarm fitter , plus new key time , i assume a uk subaru rather than jdm ? from memory a red light flashes once as you put a digit in check it’s flashing each time , the key pads can be replaced
From above it doesn't sound like its something I can resolve today on my own then? Are there any reputable companies that know about these systems that I could call out? And yes it's a UK Subaru.
Old 01 May 2020, 10:23 AM
Samj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
First off, good job you knew the PIN.
Did a subaru alarm manual not come with the car?? and do you not have 2 keys as usually supplied??

If the battery went flat in the key, then it may need re-pairing to the alarm again.
If you open the door with the key and the alarm goes off you should be able to turn it off using the keypad code.

The red key shaped symbol flashing on the dash means the key is not in the ignition to clear the OEM immobiliser before starting the car.

Not sure whether the Hawkeye comes with the old M30 or newer S30 sigma alarm so two options

M30 alarm users manual - teaching keyand fobs for pairing to alarm is near the back
http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/uploads...m30_manual.pdf

S30 alarm
Programming Radio Keys to the System:
The user can add or remove radio keys to/from the system as follows:
i) Type in to the keypad **
ii) Type in to the keypad the <existing PIN code>
iii) Type in to the keypad *991 * < the number of keys to be used> #
iv) Press the first Radio Key button briefly and release, the siren will bleep and the dashboard LED will flash.
v) Repeat until all Radio Keys have been taught to the system.
Note the maximum number of Radio Keys is 4 and all Radio Keys required to operate the system must be taught
during this one operation - any Radio Key not included will no longer operate the system.
An alarm manual did come with the car, only 1 key though. Assume the manual will show which version of alarm I have? The red key symbol was coming up on the dash even with the key in the ignition, it's not done that before. Do you believe repairing the key with the alarm will allow me to fix this?
Old 01 May 2020, 10:33 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Samj
An alarm manual did come with the car, only 1 key though. Assume the manual will show which version of alarm I have? The red key symbol was coming up on the dash even with the key in the ignition, it's not done that before. Do you believe repairing the key with the alarm will allow me to fix this?
If it's the same as the link I posted above then it's an M30
With the key in the ignition the red "key" should extinquish when you turn the ignition to the "on" position prior to starting.
The sigma alarm has it's own red/multicolour LED mounted separately in the dash surround (AFAIK) or by the clock?.
Go try and open the vehicle with the key and turn off the alarm with the key pad to check keypad still working.
If ok re-pair the key.

Last edited by Don Clark; 01 May 2020 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01 May 2020, 10:38 AM
Samj
Scooby Regular

If it's the same as the link I posted above then it's an M30
With the key in the ignition the red "key" should extinquish when you turn the ignition to the "on" position prior to starting.
The sigma alarm has it's own red/multicolour LED mounted separately in the dash surround (AFAIK).
Go try and open the vehicle with the key and turn off the alarm with the key pad to check keypad still working.
If ok re-pair the key.
I did try that a couple of times already before I left it, didn't work. Will try again this afternoon though. If the key pad isn't working, is it a simple case of buying a second hand one and plugging in. Or more complicated than that?
Old 01 May 2020, 10:56 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

I suspect you have been trying things in a panic mode especially if the alarm is sounding
From Sigma Sam
When using the keypad always observe the following points:

- The PIN number should not be entered too quickly or too slowly - when a digit has been pressed the small LED built into the keypad will illuminate briefly as confirmation and only then should the next digit be entered. - If an incorrect digit is pressed or the delay between entering digits exceeds10 seconds, then the LED above the keypad will flash rapidly and the PIN attempt should be abborted and started again after 30 seconds.

- Due to the small size of the keypad some users may find a rubber tipped pencil easier to use. DO NOT use the sharp tip of a ball point pen etc, or press excessively hard on the keypad as this will only damage the membrane and cause a digit to remain pressed, causing a continual incorrect PIN.

Reading your first post, if you stopped for 5 mins, did you alarm the car? as if you didn't, when you went to start it and punched in the PIN you would have alarmed the car which would have then gone off.

Keypad depends upon the alarm model

M30- mk1.5 keypad
https://www.advancedautomotives.co.u...546-1678-p.asp
S30 - mk2 keypad
https://www.southerncarsecurity.co.u...product_id=102
Old 01 May 2020, 12:47 PM
Samj
Scooby Regular

Right, so it would seem I was panicking. The Alarm is an M30 and I've just got it started again using the key pad. Once home I then tried pairing the key again, but the process failed at the point of pressing the key button. So either the battery I put in is a dud or the key has given up the ghost.

I'm going to order a new battery anyway, but if it's a broken key as suspected, how do I go about replacing or repairing it?
Old 01 May 2020, 01:15 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Right, so it would seem I was panicking. The Alarm is an M30 and I've just got it started again using the key pad. Once home I then tried pairing the key again, but the process failed at the point of pressing the key button. So either the battery I put in is a dud or the key has given up the ghost.

I'm going to order a new battery anyway, but if it's a broken key as suspected, how do I go about replacing or repairing it?
It is possible for the single button key to fail, the micro switch usually fails. (usually you have to press it harder and harder to get it to work until it stops working altogether)
A replacement key from Subaru is rather expensive - it also contains the transponder chip for the OEM immobiliser and would require matching to the OEM ECU/security unitas well as pairing to the sigma alarm
However,Subaru UK apparently do a repair kit for the single button keys - you would have to ask at a dealers, or if you take the key apart and look at the PCB it is possible to replace the microswitch assembly.
As a backup you may wish to purchase an old style key fob as a backup but you need an early version as not all are equal.

https://www.southerncarsecurity.co.u...&product_id=97

You could also get in touch with "Subaru Replacement Key Services UK" on facebook as they now do replacement keys for UK as well as JDM models.

Old 04 May 2020, 10:33 AM
Samj
Scooby Regular

Just to give everyone a little chuckle, I tried one last ditch at changing the battery on the key again yesterday before buying a new one, only to find I'd put the last battery in the wrong way round! Doh!

All is now working as it should be, with no need for a new key or keypad 🙈
The following users liked this post:
Old 04 May 2020, 11:13 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

What alarm does a 2005 blob uk sti have please don? I need to pair my spare up to the alarm, cheers.
Old 04 May 2020, 11:16 AM
Samj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johno01
What alarm does a 2005 blob uk sti have please don? I need to pair my spare up to the alarm, cheers.
Which keypad do you have based on the links/ pics above? If its 1.5 model with all black keypad, I can take a pic from my instruction manual on how to pair your key
Old 04 May 2020, 11:27 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Which keypad do you have based on the links/ pics above? If its 1.5 model with all black keypad, I can take a pic from my instruction manual on how to pair your key
ahh apologies mate, I think it’s the 1.5 but I will double check when I get home
Old 04 May 2020, 12:20 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

M30 - instructions in the manual - make sure you know the PIN
Old 04 May 2020, 12:31 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

i don’t lol, but I have a working key so I can change the pin then pair the other key...Correct?
Old 04 May 2020, 12:40 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

i don’t lol, but I have a working key so I can change the pin then pair the other key...Correct?
That would be a good idea

All keys have to be done at the same time.
Old 04 May 2020, 01:34 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

That would be a good idea

All keys have to be done at the same time.
thank you don
Old 01 June 2020, 07:58 PM
chakko
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does someone know how to disengage the sigma? There is somewhere a manual where is described which pins have to be disconnected from the control unit.

Because iam from Germany I don't need the sigma in my UK car