Newbie - Intro & Mod Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2020, 12:39 PM
Samj
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Newbie - Intro & Mod Guidance

Morning guys, new member here!

I've owned the below car for around 6 months now, originally bought it as the family car for ferrying the dog etc around in, that my wife was using as a daily driver. She's decided she wants something else as a daily, so instead of selling this I've decided I'm going to have it as a project car, as I've been considering one for a while. It's a 2006 plate WRX Wagon, the goal will be a track/ weekend blast about car, ideally running around 400hp, or as near to that as I can get without having to do open heart surgery with forged parts. I'm thinking buckets, cage, upgraded suspension, upgraded brakes and maybe a touch of styling. It already has an aftermarket backbox, K&N panel filter and a atmospheric dump valve (came already fitted to the car).

I'm not really that clued up on Scooby's, so I'm looking for some pointers and guidance on what are the best parts to get and what order to potentially do stuff in? I'm not looking to turn it into a money pit, so I will be buying second hand parts wherever possible, so if you've got anything available that will get me started on my journey please do also drop me a PM!

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance, I'm really looking forward to having something to keep me occupied in these times!

Old 07 April 2020, 10:57 PM
Russell38
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi and welcome why not start with some braking and suspension mods get some brembo calipers from an sti decent pads some decent coilovers and a thicker rear anti roll bar and it will transform the car
Old 07 April 2020, 11:10 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

I loved my old wrx wagon, but anything over or at 350bhp and your 5 speed will be toast. It's a reasonable cost to take an sti to 400bhp, but I think you are dreaming with a wrx. As above, concentrate on rebuilding your suspension and brakes, and possibly a turbo upgrade, sti tmic, sti injectors, upgraded fuel pump, exhaust and panel filter to achieve around 350.
Edit: Personally, I wouldn't chase bhp, but hybridize your existing, fast spooling td04 turbo to create a responsive b road blaster, at about 310 or 320bhp

Last edited by hedgecutter; 07 April 2020 at 11:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 07 April 2020, 11:19 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Good advice above,just go the STI route with the mods...concentrate on braking,suspension first once thats tight then add power mods,but as has been said 400bhp on a five speed will put tremendous amount of stress on the gearbox,400bhp is achievable but the supporting mods of your car have to be able to handle that power without to much stress or it could end up breaking.SJ.

Last edited by stonejedi; 07 April 2020 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07 April 2020, 11:32 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Sell and buy an sti 2.0 or a 2.5 that's been forged already
Old 08 April 2020, 03:01 PM
Samj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Russell38
Hi and welcome why not start with some braking and suspension mods get some brembo calipers from an sti decent pads some decent coilovers and a thicker rear anti roll bar and it will transform the car
The brakes really are woeful, so this will be one of the first changes. The STI callipers, do you do a whole set or just front?
Old 08 April 2020, 03:04 PM
Samj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
I loved my old wrx wagon, but anything over or at 350bhp and your 5 speed will be toast. It's a reasonable cost to take an sti to 400bhp, but I think you are dreaming with a wrx. As above, concentrate on rebuilding your suspension and brakes, and possibly a turbo upgrade, sti tmic, sti injectors, upgraded fuel pump, exhaust and panel filter to achieve around 350.
Edit: Personally, I wouldn't chase bhp, but hybridize your existing, fast spooling td04 turbo to create a responsive b road blaster, at about 310 or 320bhp
I am going to VF43 turbo wise based on the above I think, assume the STI injectors are also a straight fit too? Read a few places that the STI inter cooler isn’t much of an upgrade and the WRX one is nearly just as good?
Old 08 April 2020, 03:05 PM
Samj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
Good advice above,just go the STI route with the mods...concentrate on braking,suspension first once thats tight then add power mods,but as has been said 400bhp on a five speed will put tremendous amount of stress on the gearbox,400bhp is achievable but the supporting mods of your car have to be able to handle that power without to much stress or it could end up breaking.SJ.
Sounds like this is the best general advice, going to focus on the chassis first then move to the engine once that’s sorted. Brakes first for sure.
Old 08 April 2020, 03:40 PM
Russell38
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Samj
The brakes really are woeful, so this will be one of the first changes. The STI callipers, do you do a whole set or just front?
I just changed the fronts and it made a big difference a 22mm front and 24mm rear anti roll bars made a massive improvement on my car
Old 08 April 2020, 10:41 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by the shreksta
Sell and buy an sti 2.0 or a 2.5 that's been forged already
What he said!

The 2.5 in your car will sadly not take 400bhp on standard internals, or is at least unlikely to do so for very long.

My 5sp gearbox was fine at high 300s for track days and 20k road miles, but it had only done about 20k miles before my mods, and I was also on a 2.0, which would have had less torque than a 2.5. it didn't break, but I swapped it out anyway
Old 09 April 2020, 07:50 AM
m40ttc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You don’t need to change the injectors they are the same size on the wrx as the sti on the hawk
Old 10 April 2020, 07:56 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

You can have a quick, affordable daily using second hand STi parts but if you want 350+ or to track the car, you'd be better off selling it and buying an STi.
Old 14 April 2020, 11:36 AM
Samj
Scooby Regular

I just changed the fronts and it made a big difference a 22mm front and 24mm rear anti roll bars made a massive improvement on my car
What are the standard WRX fronts, 4 pots? Are the STI 6 pots based on that, or just bigger discs?
Old 14 April 2020, 11:58 AM
Russell38
Scooby Regular

What are the standard WRX fronts, 4 pots? Are the STI 6 pots based on that, or just bigger discs?
there still 4 piston but a bigger caliper and bigger disc and pad
Old 14 April 2020, 12:00 PM
Samj
Scooby Regular

there still 4 piston but a bigger caliper and bigger disc and pad
Do you happen to know the model/ part number that bolts onto the Hawkeye, so I can have a browse on eBay etc? I assume they're the Brembo calipers, Vs the standard ones that just have Subaru on them?
Old 14 April 2020, 04:42 PM
Leggygtb
BANNED

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Do you happen to know the model/ part number that bolts onto the Hawkeye, so I can have a browse on eBay etc? I assume they're the Brembo calipers, Vs the standard ones that just have Subaru on them?
calipers will bolt straight on
Make sure discs are 100 PCd
As later sti had 114 PCd discs
Old 14 April 2020, 04:55 PM
Russell38
Scooby Regular

There just subaru impreza brembo calpers
Old 15 April 2020, 12:43 AM
G10
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the exact same car as you and have generally modded it as things broke and needed replacing. I've not wanted to spend a lot as it's my daily driver, it's an old car and I do nearly 14k miles a year in it, but I love it!

Brakes - grooved disks, reconditioned calipers and good pads
Transmission - original (hawk's are generally better than blob / bug eye). 150k miles and no issues
Suspension - coilovers, front and rear anti roll bars, and drop links upgraded
Exhaust - secondhand 3 inch cobra track day
Engine - forged by wms when the hg popped at about 280 bhp, vf48 turbo, uprated fuel pump, same wrx TMIC and air box with upgraded filter.

I recon it's doing about 375bhp but I've not had it on the rolling road.

Don't get drawn in to spending loads on mods you don't need on a model that isn't that sort after.

Good luck
Old 15 April 2020, 09:23 AM
Samj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G10
I have the exact same car as you and have generally modded it as things broke and needed replacing. I've not wanted to spend a lot as it's my daily driver, it's an old car and I do nearly 14k miles a year in it, but I love it!

Brakes - grooved disks, reconditioned calipers and good pads
Transmission - original (hawk's are generally better than blob / bug eye). 150k miles and no issues
Suspension - coilovers, front and rear anti roll bars, and drop links upgraded
Exhaust - secondhand 3 inch cobra track day
Engine - forged by wms when the hg popped at about 280 bhp, vf48 turbo, uprated fuel pump, same wrx TMIC and air box with upgraded filter.

I recon it's doing about 375bhp but I've not had it on the rolling road.

Don't get drawn in to spending loads on mods you don't need on a model that isn't that sort after.

Good luck
How much did it cost you to Forge and upgrade the engine when the HG went? Definitely sounds like a sensible way to approach things though.

As per your brakes, did you just recon and upgrade the standard WRX brakes? My thoughts are the standard 4 pots should be alot better than they are currently and may just need a bit of love.
Old 15 April 2020, 09:42 AM
G10
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

How much did it cost you to Forge and upgrade the engine when the HG went? Definitely sounds like a sensible way to approach things though.

As per your brakes, did you just recon and upgrade the standard WRX brakes? My thoughts are the standard 4 pots should be alot better than they are currently and may just need a bit of love.
Andy Williams did the engine build for about £3k https://wms-racing.com/
And I got the refurbished 4 pots from Subaru 4you http://www.subaru4you.co.uk/brakes/calipfurb.shtml because they started to stick.

Thanks
Old 15 April 2020, 12:28 PM
RetroPug
Scooby Regular

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I've got the God speed kevlar pads & grooved discs all round for the wrx calipers and they're capable of locking the wheels.
Old 15 April 2020, 12:57 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

The calipers are easy enough to strip and rebuild with new seals and stainless steel pistons. They still weight a tonne though! Save up for Brembos or decent aftermarket like AP Racing. I have APs that were originally from a TVR - CP5200 series with custom mounts and even with smaller 315mm discs designed for Classic 16" wheels, they are by far the best single mod I have done.

Also, you can easily refit your old brakes come sale time and get your money back on the upgraded brakes, as they are always in demand.
Old 15 April 2020, 01:01 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Your current wheels wont clear brembo gold calipers.
Old 15 April 2020, 05:00 PM
Jay kay
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest dumping it and buying a 2l. Your asking for trouble on a 2.5 looking for big power I would think.