Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2000, 07:04 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Most things dont annoy me....

But someone has pissed me off!!

I have several trade accounts with suppliers to get parts at cost price.

I established these accounts for two reasons:

1. Cheap parts for myself
2. Cheap parts for my friends.

One example of such a company is ABC-Design who manufacture the clear indicators. My friends in the States were being ripped off by certain people/companies who were selling/exporting these over there. So as a favour I established a trade account with ABC.

I supplied nearly 30 sets of clear indicators at cost price to the states. I didnt make a penny on the indicators, if you take into account my time and resources I have lost out. But I dont mind helping friends. I have even given away a few sets I had left to friends over here.

The company I used to establish the account is my own company (for two reasons, its established with a good credit rating and its VAT registered). The main business of my company is IT/IS (computing).

Today I have received a letter from ABC (after they have shipped several consignments to my company), stating they have terminated my account as my business isnt "car" related.

SOME ****ER HAS TOLD THEM!!

This is to the person who grassed on me:

"I know I have upset/annoyed a few people.... but you havent hurt me apart from (annoying me). What you have done is prevented many people from getting a good deal. If you have a problem talk to me.... YOU **** (sorry folks in a swearing mood)".

As such, I am not going to offer to source parts for people from now on, I am keeping everything personal. I have the parts I want and need, you have only deprived other people from getting a good deal.

Chances it's a company who has shopped me. If so, thats not very professional. And you better hope I dont find out... lol.... I'm gonna put a nice banner add on the BBS saying how ****e you are...and offering your products (chances are other better products) are cost price.

Cheers,

J.
Old 20 January 2000, 07:21 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi firefox

That is really ****!

Sorry to hear about that. If it was a company who supplies these goods it is a display of tremendous lack of character and integrity to have to resort to spoiling things for individuals to satisfy their insecurities re not making a profit or the like.

it would be different if you were exporting £1000's worth of stock a weeks but by doing this they have probably only created an extra few hundered quids worth of business which will be spread out amongst them and their competitors.. so..

If they are doing not so well, it is because their competitors are doing better. Which means the competitors will get more of this business than they will. They have probably made themselves a tidy fiver over the period of the next 2 years.. if they work hard!

Pillocks.

Of course it IS possible that it slipped in an inocent (sp?) way. Maybe someone heard about you, applied for an account to do the same as you and let the cat out of the bag by mistake or through stupidity when they turned them down?

Either way.

Bad luck

It's a shame

Simon
Old 21 January 2000, 01:05 AM
dholmes
Scooby Regular

J

I assume you have limited company. It is very easy to find out what the purpose for setting you company up over the net ( Companies house or Dunn and Bradstreet etc). I know that I couldn't rent houses thru my company for example and would have to form another one to do this.

Anyway, I suspect you are right(i.e. someone told them ), but it is possible that they did checks on their account holders and stumbled upon this information.

Sorry this has happened.

Darren
Old 21 January 2000, 03:36 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Hi J ...

Thats a real bummer, and I know how much effort you put in to help people ... SO, if that is the way people want to play, lets setup something through ScoobyNet ... My company is IT related, but ScoobyNet falls under my company as a seperate cost centre ... Let me have a think, shopping cart on the way

Phil
Old 21 January 2000, 08:10 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Angry

Ok, start scanning scooby supplying sites for someone who has just started selling clear indicators.....

robski
Old 21 January 2000, 08:17 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

I know that a lot of people here in the USA have been helped by (firefox / Jay_UK) and if I find out who did this then I'll be sending "Da Booyz around"

Sorry J Many people here enjoy and are learning from your input. Please don't be too discouraged..

Richard
Old 21 January 2000, 01:09 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Smile

Jason,

really sorry to hear about that...its doing favours for people that makes this community what it is.

Whoever is responsible obviously has no understanding of your motives for doing what you did (after all...it sounds like you didn't make a single penny on what you've done)

Its practically unheard of these days that people do things because they want to...its a shame they don't recognise you for what you've done for others, rather than yourself.

Ian.

PS: By the way...the funny noise is not boost/turbo/engine related...its a piece of loose heatshield from around the std. downpipe...dealer will fix (this will probably involve the use of a hacksaw - tee hee)
Old 21 January 2000, 01:28 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

J. sorry to hear that someone screwed you up.

If only more people are as helpful as this man. Maybe we would then get better discounts on stuff, due to competition.

Dan
Old 21 January 2000, 01:34 PM
Penni Whitehead
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Jay
It may have been a genuine mistake or misunderstanding - totally unintentional.

Sorry you're so angry - give it the benefit of the doubt - you're always so helpful and it's a shame that this has now clouded your perception of 'some' people.
Old 21 January 2000, 01:48 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Red face

Ah Hah!
It was Penni!
I believe that was a mild admission!

Stef.
Old 21 January 2000, 02:03 PM
JohnS

Lightbulb

May not have been someone grassing you up J!

A few years ago when I used to run a less reliable method of transport, I tried to set-up an account with one of the local parts outlets so I could get parts at trade prices.

They took all my company details, and wrote a letter to me a week or two later saying my application had been rejected, as my company was not registered as being automotive related

However, I managed to find a way around the problem by chance. One of the garages where I had work done did have an account, and whilst on the phone, the supplier said it would be several hours before they could deliver the part. They replied "Can we send the customer around to collect it - he'll be paying cash ?", to which they replied "Yes, of course."

I went to collect the part, and the invoice was made out to the garage, but had "Cash Sale" hand written on it.

Since then, whenever I needed some parts I phoned up and said I was from garage X, need the following part, customer will be up shortly and will pay cash

[This message has been edited by JohnS (edited 21-01-2000).]
Old 21 January 2000, 03:31 PM
Penni Whitehead
Scooby Regular

Angry

Stef
That's not funny and a grossly unfair thing to say. This is not the thread to introduce humour - at my expense or anyone else's.

You know, and so does Jay, and everyone else on here that I would never / could never do anything like that.

Please delete your remark.

[This message has been edited by Penni Whitehead (edited 21-01-2000).]
Old 21 January 2000, 04:49 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Angry

Yep,I agree.

Jay does help a lot of people with advice and this is one of the few times which it is not funny.

It's pretty poor however it happened!

I tried to quiz ABC carefully today and was 'sniffed out' immediatley. I was then told quite politely that it was none of my business.

Mike.
Old 21 January 2000, 06:18 PM
frisby
Scooby Regular

Jay,

Thats bad crack mate.

Is it me or is someone turning into a bit of a w4nker??

see thead reply 9 :-
Old 21 January 2000, 06:24 PM
Penni Whitehead
Scooby Regular

....indeed - glass house syndrome!
Old 21 January 2000, 06:29 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Firefox,

That really does stink !

I am also a computer contractor and I have a question...

Can a company have more than one business classification ?

If it is possible to "add" the classification to your existing business, you could go back to your supplier (?)

Thanks

Gavin
Old 21 January 2000, 06:48 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi guys..

Thanks for the replies..

The reason I think someone grassed me, is because I have had the account with ABC for a while... and had several shipments off them.. not just one shipment last week.

They had plenty of time to check. I might just register another company, doesnt cost much.

Phil.. I will speak to you later... sometime...maybe.. lol

Anyways... **** happens...

J.

ps - Glad you found it Ian .. I told you it was louder from down by the exhaust... lol

Old 21 January 2000, 07:21 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Time to answer my own question fronm the Companies House web site (oooh, my head hurts!):

If you look at
Old 21 January 2000, 09:52 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

When you get your company set up, you can limit its trading to a set of industries which are 'including, but not limited to...' and then proceed to list damn nearly every possible business area. I understand this is a way a lot of the 'off the shelf' limited companies are set up, as the company's selling them would have no idea of the intended business of the buyer.
Old 22 January 2000, 08:11 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

When I started my company, I bought an off the shelf.

Carl is right. The section on what the business can do id HUGE!!

I think it says somewhere that I can Build Bridges if I like????

The most important bit though, is somewhere near the end of this list of possible lines of business there is a line that says something like "Anyting the Director sees fit" or similar.

I am not sure about the legalities of it all, especially as they have listed all these other activities. I would have assumed that they would not have to if the Anything the Director sees fit part would work properly.

Glad I could help

Sorry, just realised how useless this post is!

I'm not gonna sign it!
Old 22 January 2000, 09:45 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I still can't see why ABC closed your account. Surely business is business.

You must have upset someone who buys shed loads of indicators.
Old 22 January 2000, 10:29 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

who then exports a large amount to the US as these would be the only people you could have upset ?
Old 24 January 2000, 01:31 AM
chrisd
Scooby Regular

I am selling indicators to the US. But in the US itself there's someone who sells indicators and turn lenses for prices i can not beat. He has them from an other supplier ,not ABC . So I don't sell much anymore cause of competition from someone who has lower transport and transfercosts. So ,Jay ,if you think it's me who arranged this ,you're wrong.
So no reason to get pissed off about ,they have their lights now for prices us European drivers can't get them for.
bye chris
Old 24 January 2000, 07:56 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Ok it's the Yank Tank talking

I've recently noticed a lot of "free spirited new age entrepreneurs" springing up in the States. IE the "group buys" Now while this is not a bad thing. I do believe in supporting your local sheriff ie the people that really know our cars..

Ooops that sounded wrong I wasn't talking about Firefox/Jay_Uk, but the Scoobysport / Minnam / SPD /MRT 's of this world

Richard
Old 24 January 2000, 07:59 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Ok it's the Yank Tank talking

I've recently noticed a lot of "free spirited new age entrepreneurs" springing up in the States. IE the "group buys" Now while this is not a bad thing. I do believe in supporting your local sheriff ie the people that really know our cars..

Ooops that sounded wrong I wasn't talking about Firefox/Jay_Uk, but the Scoobysport / Minnam / SPD /MRT 's of this world

Richard

Sorry Firefox, Even that sounded wrong...
Not suggesting that you don't know our cars just know that you were helping.

[This message has been edited by rsquire (edited 24-01-2000).]
Old 24 January 2000, 05:00 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Sheeesh...lighten up you lot!
What happened to Jay isn't nice, but anyone with any SOH would read Penni's reply and think what I did.
It WAS a joke you know!
Anyway, I can't delete it, 'cos it won't let me.

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 24-01-2000).]
Old 24 January 2000, 06:22 PM
Penni Whitehead
Scooby Regular

Wink

Stef
it's okay - we were all out in sympathy for Jay - I forgive you......kkk :-)

Got your asbestos pants for Santa Pod
Old 25 January 2000, 11:33 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Stef.