Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

EEEAAAAOOOWWW............!!!

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2000, 04:48 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was sitting in my office earlier today when the most gorgeous sound graced my ears. I looked out of the window and I was pleased to see a MY00 Mica Blue turbo with what I think was a down pipe mod. I have the Scoobysport backbox but my car doesn’t sound as mean as that did. I am now intent on buying one of these add-ons to my MY97, which has a Scoobysport back box with up rated air filter.

What I need to know is from those that own the down pipe is:
A) Is it embarrassing to drive down the road because of the noise it makes? Does it **** the neighbours off? Do people look at you on the road and say “boy racer!”
B) Is it uncomfortable to drive with? What are motorway sounds like? Is it tolerable or would it drive me mad? I have a wife so I have to consider her precious little ears too.
C) Does it constitute an acceptable power hike over the standard part? Will I notice any difference in power?
D) Does it affect fuel consumption? The Scooby drinks enough as it is!
E) Will I pass my MOT come March? (First)
F) Does it affect my insurance premium? (Do I have to tell them?)
G) And basically any other pros and cons from current owners.

I know this topic has been asked many times before, but you know, you don’t really pay attention until it really affects you personally.

Thanks in advance for any help all.

Cem
Blowdog
Old 24 January 2000, 04:57 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Blow Dog, Where do you live. If it is the south, i.e. London, Kent, Surrey area; you can come for a ride in mine.

Dan
Old 24 January 2000, 06:41 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cem,

I have the scoobysport downpipe and its actually quieter than the car was before with the prodrive exhaust only. However, that is about to change as i am getting the SS rear box and Blitz Cone!

Its fine on the motorway, it only makes noise when you give it full throttle.

It wont **** your neighbours off unless u come up the road at 100mph - like me

You should always tell your insurers

More than welcome to have a go in mine. The way the car boosts up makes a helluva difference and the car does feel a lot more responsive but no one has shown power gains on a dyno yet! - i dunno - i just squirt the pedal and point it

Anyhow, all my worries are about to be solved

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 24-01-2000).]
Old 24 January 2000, 07:28 PM
Raz
Scooby Regular

Been thinking about getting a Blitz or Trust system but still worried about emision problems . Like blow dog , I don't want to fail a MOT test and have to muck around re fitting the old exaust to pass .

Anyone in Milton kyenes or bedfordshire area with a Blitz system fited ? Just want to know exactly how loud such a set up is .

Old 24 January 2000, 08:25 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

blow dog....where were you ???

If it was Nottingham or Derby it may have been me !!!

MY2000
Gold OZ SuperTs
Downpipe...backbox from good ol' scoobysport.

or are there approx 1000 other cars that look and sound exactly like mine ???

I used to have this system on my old MY97 5 Door. I can say that noise levels are much better in my new 4 door.

Go buy one...you know you want to

Ian G.
Old 24 January 2000, 08:29 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cem - Don't even think about it....do it I have the SS downpipe and back box and it sounds terrific without being too loud. My car (MY98) also passed an emissions test (for curiosity's sake) on the centre cat alone.

Raymond.
Old 24 January 2000, 09:24 PM
quattro
Scooby Regular

Blowdog

Answers to your questions as follows:

A) No it is not. Scoobysport downpipe makes no obtrusive noise at all. Some Japanese ones (HKS for example) do quite the opposite. People look and think what they think anyway, so no need to to worry about that.

B) No it is not if it is not a loud one (see above). Motorway sounds are not there. It is more than tolerable.

C) There is no actual power hike. The benefit is in spinning the turbo sooner and more eagerly which reduces lag and gives lowdown pulling power i.e. torque. You will notice a big difference where it matters.

D) Would not think so

E) No, unless you retain one cat in your mid section of the exhaust.

F) Who knows! You do not have to, but may be wise to do so (others will know more on that subject, I am sure)

G) Basically none

Do not be surprised if you find your car actually quieter between the engine and the back end of the exhaust after the downpipe has been fitted. Once that is done things sonically (or in terms of noise, if you want) smooth themselves out and pleasant rumble should only be generated in the backbox. That is, of course, if your ignition, fuelling, octane value and a few other things are optimised.

Go for it.

q.
Old 24 January 2000, 09:30 PM
Neil Oxborrow
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cem

TFS - Not anymore buddy, not anymore!

Been thinking about this one myself. Let me know if you do and what you think. You know me, always happy to let someone else spend first, but you heard my SS back box first so you owe me!

Good luck and let me know how you get on old buddy.

Cheers

Neil (still TFW by the way!)
Old 24 January 2000, 10:33 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Wow, you know, thats what I love about owning a Subaru. Apart from the car itself, its the friendly people on this board and all the help that they give that make ownership such a pleasure. Thanks a lot guys for the help.

Danny Fisher:
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. I live in N London (Golders Green). I think it would be real cool to meat up soon, I would love to see your car. I shall mail you very soon.

Sunilp:
Damn, that coming up the road at 100mph is gonna **** my neighbours off then. You still haven't come up to N London yet! Shame on you.

Raz:
I'll let you know buddy. I travel to Beds a lot (used to live in Dunstable, all my friends are still there). When I get the kit, ill bell ya

IGratton:
Sorry dude, it was actually in sunny old Kentish Town, North London. This is a very unique car I saw and if it sounds like the same as yours, then I wouldnt worry, it was the first one I saw (You want me to secretly paint his car red, or something?)

RaymondH:
Hehe, damn, I'm convinced. That is interesting about passing the emissions test.

Quattro:
Thanks man, your points are taken and have convinced me to go for it!

Neil:
Lol, don't you know it. One thing you never told me in my newbie days was how addictive this Impreza thing becomes. Only thing is, when do I stop?? I still think you have some of the nicest looking wheels I have seen on an Impreza.

I sure owe you though, soon as I get it done, Ill give you a going thru on it.
(I now know how to take the 1st corner in Donnington with maximum efficiency thanks to you )

PETE CRONEY!! WHERE R U??

now, where was my cheque book?

Cem
Blowdog

Old 24 January 2000, 10:40 PM
JamesH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cem

Theres a DBM lives off the "Cally" near Wharfdale Rd

Seen but not heard....
Old 24 January 2000, 11:10 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Blow Dog,

In answer to your questions....

A) It is not embarrasing to drive round town. I have yet to hear a complaint from my neighbours. People do look at the car [well, mine's louder than most having a BIG turbo]. Give it some stick and people several hundred metres away will wonder if Richard Burns has taken a wrong turn :-)

B) It is not uncomfortable; unless you have a 5 door in which case a little bit of carpet does the trick. On the motorway it's reasonable; not really intrusive as such, just pleasant. Open it up and it's awesome. Best bet is to listen to one on a similar MY and spec car to yours. Noise varies depending on turbo size.

C) You will see a rise in power. The system is less restrictive than the standard part. More importantly, though, you will gain low- and midrange- torque, which is a Very Good Thing (TM). You may not notice the difference in top end power. You WILL notice the difference in pickup and midrange torque.

D) Yes, it does affect fuel consumption. You will get MORE miles to the gallon, because you're not wasting power pushing gasses through restrictive and environmentally unfriendly cats (they produce heavy-metal pollution).

E) You might just scrape through your MOT. Depends on whether you keep the second cat and whether it's warm.

F) It may affect your premium, it depends on your insurers. You must tell them; basically don't give them ANY reason for backing out in the event of a claim. If you tell them everything it may cost a bit more up front, but in case the unthinkable happens, you're on very solid ground.

G) Just do it :-)

Now go and find someone with a similar car to yours and buy them a few refreshments of their choice in return for some of their time in demonstrating the product :-)

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 25 January 2000, 08:19 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

BlowDog.
If your MOT is in March why don't you wait until then?
I'm around North London.
Anyone in this area going to Santa Pod Feb 20th.
We could meet at the start of the M1. Just asking.
Old 25 January 2000, 03:21 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I may join you to Santa Pod. How many going? and is everyone running on the day?
cem
Old 25 January 2000, 03:27 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm going and looking for Pod Virgins to drag against !
Old 25 January 2000, 04:45 PM
spence
Scooby Regular

I'm gona try and make the Pod so you can have a listen to mine then if you want. It has a bigger turbo an down pipe and full HKS Hyper... no cats any where to be seen. Makes a lovely deep roar, as I'm sure Bajie will back up.
Old 25 January 2000, 06:42 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cem,

I am going to the Pod...

Lets organise sommit.

Old 25 January 2000, 11:31 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Stef.
Old 26 January 2000, 12:56 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Gaw dear,

I have just had PC put a SS Backbox onto my already exisiting SS Downpipe and Sti5 Centre section. I thought it was going to be miles louder than the Prodrive back box it replaced......wrong.....its probably about the same, just a bit more burbly on tickover.

Sunil
UK MY99 with PPP
Old 26 January 2000, 02:10 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Cool Sunilp,
lets do it
Old 26 January 2000, 06:52 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

And it looks the biz too Spence!

But in defence of my Super Drager mumsie did think someone had started your motor when I pulled up.
Methinks the cat will have to go soon.
Old 26 January 2000, 07:20 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Pat.

I'm guessing that yours is an STi with a bigger turbo?
I wanted the downpipe too but was unsure about increased noise levels.
I had a Scoobysport backbox fitted and my missus went off on one. Pete Croney got the Hayward and Scott boys to make a quieter one for me.
It appears as you say that bigger turbo = more gas flow / volume = more noise, meaning that my 'quiet' SS back box on my STi now sounds close to a regular SS back box on a UK car.
I'm guessing that a downpipe would put me back where I started?
Any thoughts?