Sponsored by:

power steering pump issue

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2019, 11:32 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts
Default power steering pump issue

As above , i have an 07 Fsti , the power steering pump is quite noisy , it’s worse on start up then quietens down , ive changed the top low pressure o ring but not much change , any suggestions as to who and where to get either a new pump £££ or can they be rebuilt ? , cheers in advance replies
Old 22 December 2019, 08:18 AM
Shane
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Have you done a fluid change, swapping out the old, thin, black stuff for some fresh fluid quietened mine right down.
Old 22 December 2019, 08:36 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

yarp , fresh fluid put in , it’s much worse when it’s cold , ive heard of these pumps failing , i can refresh again but most old fluid came out , it looked muddy in colour lol
Old 22 December 2019, 08:51 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

i think they are around £450-£500 new

might be worth contacting a few companies to see if they can offer a rebuild.

https://www.power-steering.co.uk/service-procedure/

http://www.westernpowersteering.co.u...on_process.htm

http://dnrcomponents.co.uk/power-ste...econditioning/
Old 22 December 2019, 09:44 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

ok so a bit more digging , an o ring that is on top of the pump where the low pressure in line is can start leaking, also the pipe that holds the low pressure in supply goes hard and can let air in , i did the o ring and have ordered 2 pipes via partsouq , as i have two fsti so a bit of preventative maintenance , i have also found a source in the usa who sell a re furb pump for 130£ delivered including taxes they are rock auto , 3 to 5 day delivery time , i have used them before but only just found out they do scooby stuff , worth changing fluid as said above , i will put another jubilee clip on the low pressure side to make sure it’s sealing till parts arrive , it’s cheaper ti go re furb than a new one that no one seems to stock any way ???? , i also managed to break the low pressure metal connector on the pump ..?! b.....s , so ordered one of them too , so fingers crossed all sorted, i hate a car being off the road so often throw money at it to solve it asap , the symptoms of what i had before was a load of noise and contents of the pump being pushed into the engine bay , it sounds like a lot of air getting into it ? so hopefully no damage done to the pump , i had an old pump off a previous broken fsti but it’s on around 195k miles so probably getting to the end of its life so only a temp solution till new bits arrive
Old 26 December 2019, 11:59 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm assuming these are basically the same as an Impreza pump, in which case they can definitely be rebuilt with new o-rings. There are a number of threads on Nasioc which give the metric dimensions (rather than dash). I will say now though, make sure you mark which way you pull everything out and take many, many photos to remind you! It's straightforward and even buying multiple o-rings in packs of 10 it'll still only cost you about £30.