Sponsored by:

500bhp stock location options

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2019, 10:52 PM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 500bhp stock location options

Hi folks, I know this has been covered quite a bit but my brain is fried from reading all the threads and combinations people have.

Hoping that if I post my spec someone could point me towards turbo options that'll make 500 vpower and more with meth mix.

My spec is a Blob STI with

Forged closed deck 2.1, mahle 2618 pistons etc + jdm avcs heads
RCM parallel rails, ID1050x injectors, 340lph pump
Front mount intercooler
Reversed inlet manifold
Cobra 3" decat system, Williams headers/up pipe
Syvecs S6 with wideband, flex fuel and toucan

I'm currently running an old FP Green and its been great, but I feel like its time for a change while funds, and my spec allows

Looking for something that would be a straight swap, so either 58mm or 76mm compressor housing, single scroll flanges etc. Definitely dont want to go down the v-band, ewg etc route

The turbo I see mentioned most is the MD321V, does anyone have a graph on a 2.1 with the single scroll version?

Others i've seen mentioned are

FP Red but I saw they also do a Black?
Precision Turbo, seemed to make the power but all the pics make them look cheap?
GTX3076R, seem to be popular in the US

Are there any others I'm missing? If anyone has something for sale I'd be VERY interested to hear from you.

Currently making 420 vpower, 455 meth so really want something thats going to be a definite step up, not something I have to be lucky to get the results from.

Many thanks
Old 05 November 2019, 11:45 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

SC46x will hit 500 with correct setup, stock location
Old 06 November 2019, 06:41 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

my FP red made 530bhp @ 1,7bar on pump fuel ,,, very good turbo that has proven to make over 500 on pump fuel a few times now
Old 06 November 2019, 06:42 AM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Take a look at Owen turbos too. You may also want to think about fitting a bigger fuel pump too for that kind of power.
Old 06 November 2019, 10:48 AM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
my FP red made 530bhp @ 1,7bar on pump fuel ,,, very good turbo that has proven to make over 500 on pump fuel a few times now
is that on a similar spec 2.1? would be interested to see a graph on that. Whats the spool/delivery like?
Old 06 November 2019, 11:33 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rickybobby
is that on a similar spec 2.1? would be interested to see a graph on that. Whats the spool/delivery like?

that was a on a 2.5 so couldn't turn the boost up as far as I would of liked lol , spool was very good but expect a little bit more lag if its a 2.1 ,,, id buy another one tomorrow if I needed that kind of power again ,,, ran that power for over 5 years without any turbo issues and still going strong now after selling the car on ,,, not sure if iv still got a graph of it now though but will search for it ,, fairly sure with a meth mix I would of hit 600 but wasn't interested in number chasing and was very happy with how it performed

Last edited by domino46; 06 November 2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06 November 2019, 10:29 PM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
that was a on a 2.5 so couldn't turn the boost up as far as I would of liked lol , spool was very good but expect a little bit more lag if its a 2.1 ,,, id buy another one tomorrow if I needed that kind of power again ,,, ran that power for over 5 years without any turbo issues and still going strong now after selling the car on ,,, not sure if iv still got a graph of it now though but will search for it ,, fairly sure with a meth mix I would of hit 600 but wasn't interested in number chasing and was very happy with how it performed
Thanks Domino, is your red the journal or ball bearing version? I didnt realise they did the green and red in both types, its a serious leap in £ for the ball bearing versions tho.

Regarding the SC46, after reading rather a lot of underwhelmed owners of a 46 I disregarded it as a choice, as I dont want to spend 2k on a turbo only to find it makes very little more than my old FP snail.
I'm sure the 46X may do what you claim, but if thats the case why isnt it called an SC48 or 50?

MD321V and FP Red seem to be the stand out's in my readings so far, I did look on the OD site but all the options blew my mind so I send them an email.

Trending Topics

Old 07 November 2019, 06:34 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Thanks Domino, is your red the journal or ball bearing version? I didnt realise they did the green and red in both types, its a serious leap in £ for the ball bearing versions tho.

Regarding the SC46, after reading rather a lot of underwhelmed owners of a 46 I disregarded it as a choice, as I dont want to spend 2k on a turbo only to find it makes very little more than my old FP snail.
I'm sure the 46X may do what you claim, but if thats the case why isnt it called an SC48 or 50?

MD321V and FP Red seem to be the stand out's in my readings so far, I did look on the OD site but all the options blew my mind so I send them an email.
mine was the journal bearing type
Old 07 November 2019, 09:30 AM
Townsend94
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I would stay clear of the stock location precision turbo if you are adamant in wanting 500bhp from v power alone.

If you aren't so hung up on that figure then I would definetly recommend this unit! I currently have one on my car and I love it!
Old 07 November 2019, 10:27 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Are we talking new or second hand here? purley as version change year on year as it gets revised and tweaked. Have to confess i don;t know many people who have been disapointed by the results on a 46 so i'd be interested to hear some of the issues.

The sc46x made over 500 on a car with cosworth sports cats so cant see why it would be an issue. Mines currently 380/390 on 1.3 bar on sports cats, stock tmic and stock headers so only at low boost, although for clarity that's on a 2,5

The 46 and 46x are different turbo's, X being slightly higher power output hence the name change.

other option is a 42 on meth hahsa
Old 08 November 2019, 09:58 AM
Alby203
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a identical set up to the OP except i have a link g4 instead of the syvecs he’s running. I am running a 2.1 with single scroll MDX321V -standard location of course and at 1.8 bar made 469 bhp. I will try upload graph later
Old 08 November 2019, 10:04 AM
Alby203
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 08 November 2019, 10:59 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Precision unit is excellent, I don't know what pics you're looking at that make it look cheap?
In my experience of fitting loads of them it's a 450-480hp turbo on pump fuel alone although I have had a couple do 500+ on pump fuel. The MDX321V is very similar in all aspects, spool, outright power seem to match each other very well.
FP Red not seen any on an Impreza for a long time and I know the tech moved on. The FP Black would be the next logical choice but you have to bare in mind that it's really designed for the 2.5 engine and to be used with an external gate, it's essentially a bolt on GT35HTA so will be laggy on a 2.1.
The following 2 users liked this post by MartynJ:
Old 08 November 2019, 06:58 PM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MartynJ
Precision unit is excellent, I don't know what pics you're looking at that make it look cheap?
In my experience of fitting loads of them it's a 450-480hp turbo on pump fuel alone although I have had a couple do 500+ on pump fuel. The MDX321V is very similar in all aspects, spool, outright power seem to match each other very well.
FP Red not seen any on an Impreza for a long time and I know the tech moved on. The FP Black would be the next logical choice but you have to bare in mind that it's really designed for the 2.5 engine and to be used with an external gate, it's essentially a bolt on GT35HTA so will be laggy on a 2.1.
Thanks Martyn, the pics I saw showed it with a blue hose between the housing and actuator and it just had that Chinese appearance to it. I've seen other Precision with the logo on the cover and they look completely different so it may have just been
a poor pic (think its the RCM website). interesting the power figure you quote for them vs the 550bhp i've seen quoted on a few adverts, appreciate the real world numbers.

I did wonder if the FP black was designed for larger displacement cars. Dont want to go down the ewg route so will chalk that one off.

Looking like an MD321V is what I need or a Precision if I can find one. Unfortunately I'll need to find something in the 2nd hand market for this to happen as I dont have £2k aside for a turbo currently