New key question

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2019, 03:59 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Default New key question

Hi,

Somehow I've managed to lose the only key I have for my '03 Impreza. Don't ask me how. One day it was there, the next it wasn't.

I've re-coded that key to the Sigma alarm and immobiliser before so ordered a replacement key from Subaru that will arrive pre-cut and allow me to enter the car. I had thought that this would then be sufficient for me to re-code and start the car (I've also done this manually using the keypad before). However, reading online appears that there is a second 'Subaru' immobiliser that the key speaks to and which can only be coded to by plugging in a Subaru computer. Is this correct? If so, would an auto locksmith be able to do it, or is it genuinely something I'll have to get it towed to the Subaru garage to do, for what I'm assuming to be vast expense?

Thanks!

p.s. yes, I'm aware I should have sorted out a spare key long before I lost the only one I had...
Old 04 September 2019, 09:13 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Yes the new key will have an inbuilt transponder that will need synching to the cars ECU/security module (OEM immobiliser - SIGMA system added to make it CAT1).

Usually done using Subaru Select Monitor (Dealer?) or EcuTek (Mapper)
Old 04 September 2019, 09:20 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Yes, the key has an OEM transponder chip in it that talks to the immibiliser ecu module via the main ecu (Sigma alarm/immobiliser system added to make it CAT1)
Old 04 September 2019, 11:19 AM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Yes the new key will have an inbuilt transponder that will need synching to the cars ECU/security module (OEM immobiliser - SIGMA system added to make it CAT1).

Usually done using Subaru Select Monitor (Dealer?) or EcuTek (Mapper)
Bugger (but thanks for the info!). I'm guessing I'll have to get the RAC to recover it to the dealer then. A friend had an Audi key made up at the roadside when he lost his snowboarding last year - I take it these RAC-esque locksmiths don't have the software to do that transponder coding for Subaru?
Old 04 September 2019, 12:09 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Only way to find out would be to ask.
Old 24 September 2019, 10:43 AM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Only way to find out would be to ask.
Luckily I ended up finding the key, under the duvet of the spare bed of all places. This meant I could just take it to Subaru who relieved me of c£200 for the key (which is utterly insane for a piece of plastic, a cheap PCB and a cut key blade), and then a further £45 for coding it as nowhere local could guarantee they could code the Subaru ECU. And as at that point I needed to drive to the dealer to collect the key it seemed easiest just to get them to do it while I was there.