Sponsored by:

Subaru Replacement Key - my experience

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2017, 08:47 PM
Scooby123)
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru Replacement Key - my experience

Hi, just thought I would do a little post on my experience of losing my only key, hope it might help someone in future.

1. My car key was stolen.
2. I had no spare key and did not know the key pin for the security pad, so was in a right pickle.
3. Subaru quoted £230 for new key, which would take a few days to arrive, plus cost of programming, which normally takes a hour or so, so around £300.
4. I phoned an emergency locksmith, most did not give me time of day when I told them I had a Impreza, but one reckoned he could sort me a new key with remote for around £140.
5. Turns out the emergency key guy was not familiar with Subaru at all, and took home 3 visits, each lasting for a few hours to cut the key, apparaently really hard to try and pick these locks, and key for ignition needs more "cuts" than the door keys.
6. Eventually had a key, but could only start with key pad.
7. After assuring me he could bypass the immobiliser and programme the key, locksmith said would need to get code off Subaru to start the car!!!.
8. Subaru agent was a top bloke, went on there system and got me the code for my pin pad for nothing. Genuine top man.
9. Bought second hand key off eBay, and eventully managed to programme it using the Sigma M30 manual that's knocking around on the forum.
10. I now have a working key fob and a working key, however could not put the key blade in the second hand fob, as there a sealed unit, so had the blade cut off the fob, and just use it like a remote key pad with the key to start.
11. Cost me £140 for locksmith, and £25 for second had fob, and a lot of stress and hassle.
12. In highnsite, I think dealer option was best, more expensive but less stree, and will have a genuine key, not a "fob" and separate key.

Lesson I learned, is that a replacement key can be sorted, but costs nearly as much as going to the dealers, and the dealers end product is better and less stressful. It cost me £140 for locksmith, £25 for second hand fob, and dealer could have easily charged me £40 for code.... so in end, not much of a saving, and took around 2 weeks to sort.
Old 22 September 2017, 08:51 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad you got it sorted and before anyone else says it maybe we should all make sure we have a working spare key and fob.

Last edited by johned; 22 September 2017 at 08:53 PM. Reason: extra info.
Old 22 September 2017, 09:09 PM
Scooby123)
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely, total nightmare. Would recommend at least having a spare key, or know your pin (Subaru will give you this, even if they charge I reckon it would be around £40).

i was very lucky, if a previous owner had changed the pin (and my car has had about a million owners), then the pin Subaru gave me would not have worked, in which case he advised they would need to send the ECU (or something like the ECU) back to Subaru to reset, then I really would have been up the creek.

Am just glad it's working, it cost about £165, and managed to avoid having to claim off insurance, as bearly managing the premium as it is.

my car is only a 2.0 sport hawkeye, it looks like a WRX, genuine bonnet with scoop, bootlid with high level spoiler, WRX wheels, etc. I know i would not win a race against a London red bus.... but I love it to bits. I have declared the changes on the insurance... "it's all show and no go!!!"....

I would love proper WRX, STI.... but for now, am happy as a pig in mud!!!!
Old 22 September 2017, 09:41 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Great stuff and enjoy the car.
Old 24 September 2017, 07:18 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Great result regardless
my experience with the subaru main dealer was totally different, as I mentioned on your other thread
Old 11 April 2022, 03:59 PM
CGScooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Spoke to IMMOTEC. Couldn't of been more helpful, I was locked out of my car.

My car was on the other side of the country. So because he couldn't get to me he told me exactly what needs to happen, talked me through the jobs and the pricings.

And also checked out the local locksmith to see if he was legit.

He didn't need to any of the above. And if I need any replacements making up on future cars I will be using his service.

The following 3 users liked this post by CGScooby:
Old 11 April 2022, 04:34 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by CGScooby
Spoke to IMMOTEC. Couldn't of been more helpful, I was locked out of my car.

My car was on the other side of the country. So because he couldn't get to me he told me exactly what needs to happen, talked me through the jobs and the pricings.

And also checked out the local locksmith to see if he was legit.

He didn't need to any of the above. And if I need any replacements making up on future cars I will be using his service.
hes a good guy, helped me out too 👍👍
The following users liked this post: