seanvx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wiring help (maybe Don )

Old 24 July 2019, 09:40 PM
seanvx
Scooby Regular

Hi I'm trying to wire the uk fog light button to work on my 03 jdm sti , at the moment I have three wires to a switch for the fog light so I'm guessing 12v , switched live and ground can I wire them into one of these connectors to make it work
Old 25 July 2019, 08:46 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by seanvx
at the moment I have three wires to a switch for the fog light so I'm guessing
First question - are these aftermarket lights fitted by you and I assume there is a relay involved ? and you want to use an OEM switch to operate.

Typical "auxiliary light" circuit using a switch that has an inbuilt "on" indicator light (3 terminals). For fogs the switch supply would typically come from an ignition controlled supply.

Circuit with switch having no inbuilt "on" indicator circuit

MY04 Subaru fog light circuit

As shown above the Subaru switch also has the "on" indicator bulb but due to its design switches the relay coil negative (PIn 3 to Pin 5) via the diode, rather than the coil positive supply.

Fog light switch plug B160 looking on pin face that would fit into switch.

Using OEM switch with "on" indicator bulb earthed separately (similar to first diagram) and grey plug above
PIN 3 - 12v ign supply (currently yellow/white)
PIN 1 - Earth (currently violet)
PIN 5 - Relay 86 (currently black)

PINS 2 and 4 are used for the OEM switch general illumination circuit.

All the above depends upon what you ACTUALLY have fitted and what the three wires you mention actually are.

Last edited by Don Clark; 25 July 2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 25 July 2019, 06:40 PM
seanvx
Scooby Regular

Hi Don , yes it's a switch that the company installed when it was imported , I'm not sure how they have wired it all I know is that the fog light biulb replaces tithe drivers side reverse light and behind the switch it has 2 red wires and a black attached to the back of the switch , sorry it's not much to go on
Old 25 July 2019, 07:40 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

I wrongly assumed (don't know why) it was for front fogs so most if not all above is irrelevant.

we'll try again...........

I'm afraid you'll have to do better than
I'm not sure how they have wired it all I know is that the fog light biulb replaces tithe drivers side reverse light and behind the switch it has 2 red wires and a black attached to the back of the switch , sorry it's not much to go on
How has the wiring been altered at the rear light?? Has a new supply wire been run to the bulb holder from the switch? Is there a relay/rear fog controller in the circuit?(probably not). Is bulb 21W or LED??
From my previous post the switch seems to be similar - supply /load/earth for "on" indicator - any pictures??

Is the OEM fog light switch you are wanting to use for front or rear fogs?

One of the red wires will be a supply,(should be from a sidelight supply or after 2013 from a dip beam supply - hence the rear fog controller) the other is probably the load (fog bulb) and black the earth for the switch "on" indicator. You will have to determine which is which.

MY04 rear Fog light switch

The plug for B195 has the same pin numbering and layout as B160 above so it looks as if the white plug is for a rear foglight switch.

If its a simple switch setup then you can use

Supply to PIN 1
Earth to PIN 2 (for "on" indication bulb)
Load to PIN 4;5 or 3

Last edited by Don Clark; 25 July 2019 at 07:42 PM.