ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Syvecs any second hand and what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2019, 10:18 PM
andyf31
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Syvecs any second hand and what to look for

I’ve been recommended switching to syvecs, I’m not looking for a why bother response or other ecus are available but was wondering if I went second hand what to look for between the various ones available.

its for a Hawkeye hence the question as not sure if I can buy one for an earlier model and have it updated etc.
Old 21 June 2019, 11:39 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

There are a few options for your car.

What power are you running or intending to run?

Is it a road car, daily or track car?

You can have open source, Link 4, Ecutek Racerom, Carberry Rom and Syvecs S7+

I bought a Syvecs S6 for my 2015 STI recently as I'm hopefully gong down that route, but trust me when you total up the cost of the ECU, wiring loom, sensor pack, re-programming, fitting of ECU, fitting of sensor pack and mapping there is virtually no cost saving buying one second hand.

Presumably you've been talking to Scooby Clinic about your car then? As Pat is Mr Syvecs and that's what they always recommend.
Old 21 June 2019, 04:38 PM
andyf31
Scooby Regular

I’m running ecutec at the moment, nope not scoobyclinic.

its been recommended as looking at going mafless. I’m sure other systems can do the same but going on the garages recommendation.

also looking at turbo options, it’s a road car but just used occasionally. Looking for 450+
Old 27 June 2019, 08:52 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

You can do maffless with Carberry and certainly do it with Syvecs.

In my experience if you choose Syvecs you'll ultimately be funnelled down one route to Scooby Clinic who will be your only option. A few others used to do it but were not getting supported so only offer EcuTek race rom now. At 1/10th of the price I'd personally investigate EcuTek first if I were you.
Old 27 June 2019, 09:04 AM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

There are still plenty of good people mapping syvecs. No need to go anywhere near scooby clinic. However If it's solely Pat you are dealing with at the clinic then that's fine
Old 27 June 2019, 09:54 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joe v3sti
There are still plenty of good people mapping syvecs. No need to go anywhere near scooby clinic. However If it's solely Pat you are dealing with at the clinic then that's fine
I wanted Mark @ TDR to install and map my Syvecs but after months of him trying to contact Syvecs for me with not a single response he has now stopped dealing with Syvecs and only offers EcuTek again.
Old 27 June 2019, 01:14 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Really how unusual, you can just pick the phone up and speak to them, I did exactly that 3 days ago. That's one of the best things about syvecs, aftercare and communication is second to none
Old 27 June 2019, 01:25 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joe v3sti
Really how unusual, you can just pick the phone up and speak to them, I did exactly that 3 days ago. That's one of the best things about syvecs, aftercare and communication is second to none
Yep, I did just that 4 months ago, spoke to someone very helpful who was going to get me a price for looms and bits and I'm still waiting for that price today. I rang them again and spoke to someone else, emailed them a few times and still nothing back. I was left with no option other than to go through Scooby Clinic. Which was what one of the Syvecs guys actually suggested to me at one point. I kinda lost faith a little which delayed by build a bit.
Old 27 June 2019, 10:07 PM
andyf31
Scooby Regular

The owner of garage I use knows Pat from syvecs and was talking to him about my car hence the syvecs recommendation.
im already running ecutec but looking at a change to mafless and looking to probably go with syvecs.
Old 27 June 2019, 10:23 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
I wanted Mark @ TDR to install and map my Syvecs but after months of him trying to contact Syvecs for me with not a single response he has now stopped dealing with Syvecs and only offers EcuTek again.
They arn't on the authorised dealer list so i suspect theres mroe to it than just not getting phone calls returned.
Old 28 June 2019, 12:55 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by andyf31
The owner of garage I use knows Pat from syvecs and was talking to him about my car hence the syvecs recommendation.
im already running ecutec but looking at a change to mafless and looking to probably go with syvecs.
ecutek offer speed density if that is the main reason you where looking to change?
Old 30 June 2019, 08:33 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Handy thing about Syvecs is you can move it thru models and marques with a small fee to Syvecs as I have my ecu from my Subaru running in my Evo
Old 08 July 2019, 09:39 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
They arn't on the authorised dealer list so i suspect theres mroe to it than just not getting phone calls returned.
It wasn't just Mark @ TDR not getting a reply from Syvecs, I tried and tried myself for months with no response. Every time I rang I spoke to someone who filled me with promise that they would help and come back to me but still nothing at all in response.

Mark started contacting them in January this year and I started in March as Mark had had no response and have heard nothing since then. It doesn't fill me with confidence.
Old 09 July 2019, 01:37 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
It wasn't just Mark @ TDR not getting a reply from Syvecs, I tried and tried myself for months with no response. Every time I rang I spoke to someone who filled me with promise that they would help and come back to me but still nothing at all in response.

Mark started contacting them in January this year and I started in March as Mark had had no response and have heard nothing since then. It doesn't fill me with confidence.
Very strange, never had an issues.
Old 11 July 2019, 02:26 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Link G4+, proper PNP ecu for the hawk.