ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Syvecs any second hand and what to look for (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1059232-syvecs-any-second-hand-and-what-to-look-for.html)

andyf31 20 June 2019 10:18 PM

Syvecs any second hand and what to look for

I’ve been recommended switching to syvecs, I’m not looking for a why bother response or other ecus are available but was wondering if I went second hand what to look for between the various ones available.

its for a Hawkeye hence the question as not sure if I can buy one for an earlier model and have it updated etc.

BrownPantsRacing 21 June 2019 11:39 AM

There are a few options for your car.

What power are you running or intending to run?

Is it a road car, daily or track car?

You can have open source, Link 4, Ecutek Racerom, Carberry Rom and Syvecs S7+

I bought a Syvecs S6 for my 2015 STI recently as I'm hopefully gong down that route, but trust me when you total up the cost of the ECU, wiring loom, sensor pack, re-programming, fitting of ECU, fitting of sensor pack and mapping there is virtually no cost saving buying one second hand.

Presumably you've been talking to Scooby Clinic about your car then? As Pat is Mr Syvecs and that's what they always recommend.

andyf31 21 June 2019 04:38 PM

I’m running ecutec at the moment, nope not scoobyclinic.

its been recommended as looking at going mafless. I’m sure other systems can do the same but going on the garages recommendation.

also looking at turbo options, it’s a road car but just used occasionally. Looking for 450+

BrownPantsRacing 27 June 2019 08:52 AM

You can do maffless with Carberry and certainly do it with Syvecs.

In my experience if you choose Syvecs you'll ultimately be funnelled down one route to Scooby Clinic who will be your only option. A few others used to do it but were not getting supported so only offer EcuTek race rom now. At 1/10th of the price I'd personally investigate EcuTek first if I were you.

joe v3sti 27 June 2019 09:04 AM

There are still plenty of good people mapping syvecs. No need to go anywhere near scooby clinic. However If it's solely Pat you are dealing with at the clinic then that's fine

BrownPantsRacing 27 June 2019 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by joe v3sti (Post 12055683)
There are still plenty of good people mapping syvecs. No need to go anywhere near scooby clinic. However If it's solely Pat you are dealing with at the clinic then that's fine

I wanted Mark @ TDR to install and map my Syvecs but after months of him trying to contact Syvecs for me with not a single response he has now stopped dealing with Syvecs and only offers EcuTek again.

joe v3sti 27 June 2019 01:14 PM

Really how unusual, you can just pick the phone up and speak to them, I did exactly that 3 days ago. That's one of the best things about syvecs, aftercare and communication is second to none

BrownPantsRacing 27 June 2019 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by joe v3sti (Post 12055707)
Really how unusual, you can just pick the phone up and speak to them, I did exactly that 3 days ago. That's one of the best things about syvecs, aftercare and communication is second to none

Yep, I did just that 4 months ago, spoke to someone very helpful who was going to get me a price for looms and bits and I'm still waiting for that price today. I rang them again and spoke to someone else, emailed them a few times and still nothing back. I was left with no option other than to go through Scooby Clinic. Which was what one of the Syvecs guys actually suggested to me at one point. I kinda lost faith a little which delayed by build a bit.

andyf31 27 June 2019 10:07 PM

The owner of garage I use knows Pat from syvecs and was talking to him about my car hence the syvecs recommendation.
im already running ecutec but looking at a change to mafless and looking to probably go with syvecs.

Tidgy 27 June 2019 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12055691)
I wanted Mark @ TDR to install and map my Syvecs but after months of him trying to contact Syvecs for me with not a single response he has now stopped dealing with Syvecs and only offers EcuTek again.

They arn't on the authorised dealer list so i suspect theres mroe to it than just not getting phone calls returned.

Gambit 28 June 2019 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by andyf31 (Post 12055745)
The owner of garage I use knows Pat from syvecs and was talking to him about my car hence the syvecs recommendation.
im already running ecutec but looking at a change to mafless and looking to probably go with syvecs.

ecutek offer speed density if that is the main reason you where looking to change?

stevebt 30 June 2019 08:33 PM

Handy thing about Syvecs is you can move it thru models and marques with a small fee to Syvecs as I have my ecu from my Subaru running in my Evo :)

BrownPantsRacing 08 July 2019 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 12055746)
They arn't on the authorised dealer list so i suspect theres mroe to it than just not getting phone calls returned.

It wasn't just Mark @ TDR not getting a reply from Syvecs, I tried and tried myself for months with no response. Every time I rang I spoke to someone who filled me with promise that they would help and come back to me but still nothing at all in response.

Mark started contacting them in January this year and I started in March as Mark had had no response and have heard nothing since then. It doesn't fill me with confidence.

Tidgy 09 July 2019 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12056355)
It wasn't just Mark @ TDR not getting a reply from Syvecs, I tried and tried myself for months with no response. Every time I rang I spoke to someone who filled me with promise that they would help and come back to me but still nothing at all in response.

Mark started contacting them in January this year and I started in March as Mark had had no response and have heard nothing since then. It doesn't fill me with confidence.

Very strange, never had an issues.

MartynJ 11 July 2019 02:26 PM

Link G4+, proper PNP ecu for the hawk.