2.5 engines any good?

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2018, 09:40 PM
Charlie76
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 engines any good?

Hi all,

Just after some advice I've always owned blobeyes, but looking to buy a 2006 wrx with the 2.5 litre engine, I've heard a lot of stories about how rubbish these engines are but is there any truth to it? Any help appreciated.
Old 03 November 2018, 09:44 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

plenty of truth in it...........

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-failures.html
Old 03 November 2018, 10:01 PM
Charlie76
Scooby Newbie

Oh dear not good, might have to stay away from it then but thanks for the information.
Old 03 November 2018, 10:12 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Charlie76
Oh dear not good, might have to stay away from it then but thanks for the information.
Some dont have any issues at all but its pot-luck.

If your not prepared to pay for a rebuild should it ever need one then it's the wrong car for you.

BUT once built properly the 2.5 is a stonking engine for fast road use.
Old 03 November 2018, 10:31 PM
Charlie76
Scooby Newbie

The person replied about the car saying the engine has had a rebuild by the previous owner but no paper work.
dont know weither its true or not, is it possible to tell if the engines been rebuilt by looking at it.
All my gut feelings are telling me to stay away from it but it looks so damn good lol.
Old 03 November 2018, 10:50 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

A very good engine once forged , if it’s got forged pistons it’s often noisy when cold and low revs but as revs build and it gets warmed up it goes away to some extent , unfortunately an engine with an issue can make similar noises , there maybe engine bay bits like new bolts or signs of parts being moved that could indicate a re build but it depends on re build and what was done
Old 04 November 2018, 07:43 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

The person replied about the car saying the engine has had a rebuild by the previous owner but no paper work.
dont know weither its true or not, is it possible to tell if the engines been rebuilt by looking at it.
All my gut feelings are telling me to stay away from it but it looks so damn good lol.

Hmmm...doing a decent forge on a 2.5 is approx. £6k....to think that the previous owner didn't keep the proof and paperwork is beyond me.
I agree, my forged 2.5 is a brilliant fast road car, but I got it done myself so I know it's all good.

However, just being told it's forged wouldn't do it for me sorry. You could check the pistons by putting a micro borescope down each of the spark plug holes, but no owner will let you do that I doubt. Plus, this only reveals pistons, not rods, bearings, gaskets, head studs etc.

Perhaps try to find out when and where the rebuild was done - see if they remember the car or have any records of rebuilding the engine etc - just a thought.

Approach with extreme caution, or simply walk away.

Last edited by Hawkeye D; 04 November 2018 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04 November 2018, 07:47 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

if there is no paper-work ask where the rebuild was done, ring them and give them the reg number so they can confirm the work.

if it were me i would just walk away. dont have any doubts when buying a car like an impreza and dont buy it just because it looks nice.
Old 04 November 2018, 07:56 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
if there is no paper-work ask where the rebuild was done, ring them and give them the reg number so they can confirm the work.

if it were me i would just walk away. dont have any doubts when buying a car like an impreza and dont buy it just because it looks nice.
Well said Shreks…..and remember your signature from years ago....."Do it to the man before he does it to you" lol
At least I think that was your signature anyway, apologies if not!
Old 04 November 2018, 08:02 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
Well said Shreks…..and remember your signature from years ago....."Do it to the man before he does it to you" lol
At least I think that was your signature anyway, apologies if not!
lol yeah that was it
Old 04 November 2018, 08:48 AM
Andycat
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My thoughts on 2.5 always been.... if you can afford a rebuild when It happens buy one prob has the better engine

If you can not afford a rebuild buy a 2.0
Old 04 November 2018, 10:18 AM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't disagree on the previous. I never had my 2.0 Blob STI long enough to make a decent comparison, but the hawk I picked up already had a head gasket issue so was priced accordingly and I knew I wanted to get it built properly. As it was an STi it didn't need a steel crank so came to £4.5 all in from Alan Jeffery. Never missed a beat and rock steady temps ever since. I kept it standard except for the de-cat as we have no MOT over here. I've had issues with the Secondary air solenoids and I should have had it blanked off at the time, my decision so no excuses. I still have the O.E. downpipes so I can still put back to standard if needed.

I do find my car doesn't like picking up from under 2,000rpm much, certainly from third onwards, but other than that I am a happy bunny and I've concentrated on chassis tweeks to keep my tinkering demon happy...
Old 04 November 2018, 01:42 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markyscoob
Can't disagree on the previous. I never had my 2.0 Blob STI long enough to make a decent comparison, but the hawk I picked up already had a head gasket issue so was priced accordingly and I knew I wanted to get it built properly. As it was an STi it didn't need a steel crank so came to £4.5 all in from Alan Jeffery. Never missed a beat and rock steady temps ever since. I kept it standard except for the de-cat as we have no MOT over here. I've had issues with the Secondary air solenoids and I should have had it blanked off at the time, my decision so no excuses. I still have the O.E. downpipes so I can still put back to standard if needed.

I do find my car doesn't like picking up from under 2,000rpm much, certainly from third onwards, but other than that I am a happy bunny and I've concentrated on chassis tweeks to keep my tinkering demon happy...
Get that secondary air pump deleted, and get a nice Mocal catch can fitted on the same bracket!
Old 06 November 2018, 07:14 AM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Hi all,

Just after some advice I've always owned blobeyes, but looking to buy a 2006 wrx with the 2.5 litre engine, I've heard a lot of stories about how rubbish these engines are but is there any truth to it? Any help appreciated.
I've got a 2.5 06 WRX that I use daily. Not forged. Done 70k~ miles. Hasn't missed a beat so far, drives lovely. The extra torque from the 2.5 is great when compared to my older 2.0 cars. I wouldn't be overly concerned about a WRX 2.5 to be honest. I'm not saying they're bullet proof, but the majority of the 2.5 failures you read about will be on STI models. And that's because they're running at the higher end of what the 2.5 pistons can cope with reliably.