Sponsored by:

Looking for an Subaru R Sport

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2018, 02:11 PM
kav76
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking for an Subaru R Sport

Hello, Looking for a modified Subaru R Sport for my son.
He's 17 years old and has always loved Subarus but looking to start with an R sport then he will move up to the turbo version in a year or so, ideally it would need to be WR Blue if possible.
Any help appreciated.

Last edited by kav76; 08 October 2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 27 August 2018, 04:12 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

What help you looking for? Had 3 non turbo models but all the lower power models. R sport should have abit more go.
Old 28 August 2018, 06:44 AM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi and welcome

Obtaining vehicle insurance will be a killer for a 17 year old in an Impreza - expect 2 to 3 grand or more that's if any company would insure him.

I pay £380 per year for my 2006 (hawkeye) R Sport and the I'm 46 with over 10 years no claims.

I've had Impreza's for about 15 years - they have all been non-turbo models - a fact I'm quite proud of - I have been tempted a few times to get a turbo model but the vast increase in running costs and the fact that they REQUIRE a re-map every time you do anything to the engine has seriously put me off buying one.

I hope this helps.

Andrew.
Old 28 August 2018, 11:08 AM
kav76
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thankyou for the replys, my son has always loved the Subaru even from a very young age, and I thought this would be the cheaper way for him to get in one, I don't think he would be interested in performance at the minute and he wouldn't want the risk of points so that's why I thought the r sport would be a more better alternative.

I have seen modified r sports and some really do look better than there turbo counterparts.for about 2500 - 3000 you can get an r sport that looks like a 10k turbo and at the minute that's what I would want him to be in. I know its not going to win any races and I think/hoping that would stop him driving like an idiot.
What's the day to day running costs like e.g fuel, tax, reliability etc.

Old 28 August 2018, 01:47 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Tax is pretty high at £315 a year. It can be pretty thirsty on fuel on winding country lanes, I've seen low 20's, but I usually get about 40mpg on long motorway stints. Of course that 20mpg can easily be brought up a fair way if you drive sensibly. Reliability wise, I've owned mine since May last year and done 15000 miles in it. So far nothing major has gone wrong except the exhaust falling apart but that can happen to just about any car so I wouldn't hold that against it. It's never failed to start in the morning, never overheated and never left me stranded at the side of the road. Of course, now I've said that, it's going to do all three the next time I'm in the car .
Old 28 August 2018, 02:53 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

In that case why not go for a smaller engine?

You can pick up a Hawkeye with a 1.5 engine, even cheaper on insurance.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-Suba...gAAOSweVNbZYqg

Originally Posted by kav76
Thankyou for the replys, my son has always loved the Subaru even from a very young age, and I thought this would be the cheaper way for him to get in one, I don't think he would be interested in performance at the minute and he wouldn't want the risk of points so that's why I thought the r sport would be a more better alternative.

I have seen modified r sports and some really do look better than there turbo counterparts.for about 2500 - 3000 you can get an r sport that looks like a 10k turbo and at the minute that's what I would want him to be in. I know its not going to win any races and I think/hoping that would stop him driving like an idiot.
What's the day to day running costs like e.g fuel, tax, reliability etc.
Old 29 August 2018, 01:29 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Andrew your vastly missing out. I've owned both non turbo and turbo models. And can say without a doubt turbo models are vastly better. My last non turbo was a Blobeye, and compared to a classic non turbo was too heavy for the engine. mpg was about 34, roughly same as the classic. Both were bullet proof with no big faults.

But compared to turbo models, handling wasn't the best. People say you should get the car remapped when doing any mods. But they say this even with non turbo models. In theory you should remap any car after modifying it. I wouldn't let it put you off, you should get one at some stage. The main thing is to make sure the engine has been looked after, as with a turbo the engine is put under alot more stress.

Non turbo models can last alot longer even if been neglected with servicing, i bought one that was in poor shape, hadn't been looked after. Lasted for years, i kept it regularly serviced.

Originally Posted by dark_angel
Hi and welcome

Obtaining vehicle insurance will be a killer for a 17 year old in an Impreza - expect 2 to 3 grand or more that's if any company would insure him.

I pay £380 per year for my 2006 (hawkeye) R Sport and the I'm 46 with over 10 years no claims.

I've had Impreza's for about 15 years - they have all been non-turbo models - a fact I'm quite proud of - I have been tempted a few times to get a turbo model but the vast increase in running costs and the fact that they REQUIRE a re-map every time you do anything to the engine has seriously put me off buying one.

I hope this helps.

Andrew.
Old 31 August 2018, 02:14 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

There's a Subaru R Sport for sale on Facebook here in Blackpool advertised at 1750, the group its listed in is called

Blackpool,Cars,Vans,MoterbikesFor-Sale,Swapz,Px,Cash

If you want to take a look although I don't know where you are based
Old 31 August 2018, 07:06 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Post some pictures up.
Old 31 August 2018, 08:43 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
If he needs any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Old 01 September 2018, 10:01 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Here you go just what i was talking about.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/55-SUBARU....c100005.m1851
Old 10 October 2018, 01:14 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

This is your old thread. Stick to one thread save opening 2.