Sponsored by:

Rejecting a car

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2018, 09:48 AM
rsjohn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rejecting a car

Has anyone ever bought a used car from a trader and then rejected it to get their money back?

Iv recently bought a car from a trader and it has loads of issues that were there at time of sale and should of failed mot, also advisories on mot that wasnt put on plus was told service, timing belt and water pump done with an invoice yet wasnt done.

I bought the car 2 weeks ago.

Any advice would be greatfull please?

thanks
Old 07 August 2018, 10:08 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Have you spoken to the dealer ?
Old 07 August 2018, 10:52 AM
rsjohn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Have you spoken to the dealer ?
Im finding out my rights first before i approach them.
Old 07 August 2018, 10:54 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

speak to citizens advice for actual facts, but is suspect given the time frame you can just ask for your money back
Old 07 August 2018, 12:26 PM
funkyrimpler
Scooby Regular

I bought a Porsche 964 from a car dealer near Stoke (now closed)...Looked great...anyway it kept leaking oil and you could smell burnt oil on the exhaust...i can't remember the exact cause but i think it was a heat exchanger cracked...After LOTS of aggro and being messed around they welded it..(just before the warranty expired).
Then a week or two later the gearbox started playing up..As a 'gesture of goodwill' (he'd already had the car in his garage for 10 weeks, burning up the warranty) he would inspect FOC..Turned out, the gearbox needed a rebuild..They wanted to charge me horrific money for it, and that's when the fun started...They had my car, my money and my gearbox in bits..
The owner refused to talk to me and referred me to the incredibly abrasive and ignorant mechanic..who i suspect was his business partner...
I eventually contacted CAB. CAB wrote a letter reminding him of consumer law..He ignored it.. They then put me into contact with Trading Standards. They wrote again and he said he'd work something out with me..he never called...Eventually they agreed to a discount....I wasn't interested.I said i wanted it fixed properly or cash back..Trading Standards wrote to them and also called them...The Stoke guy called me offering a percentage of my money back, no repair but gearbox back in the car and an agreement to keep my mouth shut...
I called the Trading Standards agent again...He paid them a visit the same day...

I received an aggressive phone call from the owner calling me all sorts, so i told him i was going to collect the refund in cash...

I rocked up the following day and it got a bit lively...The mechanic marched into the office too and was making his presence felt..I said that i would 'blah blah ' if i didn't get my money immediately...there was a stand off,
I was working the doors at weekends back in the day and knew a few useful people, and was no stranger to confrontation....so... i went back to my car and an intimidating work associate returned back to the office with me...

We had a short, frank exchange of words.

The safe was duly opened and monies returned in full...case closed.

Once trading standards are involved with the real possibility of court and as much negative publicity as you can muster, most traders will see reason...As long as you're firm, fair and in the right...

Last edited by funkyrimpler; 07 August 2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07 August 2018, 01:28 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Little brother buys a golf diesel from a trader next day eml light on turns out a problem in the wiring loom somewhere..

rings trader only been few few days he doesn’t want to know

arrived at traders place goes in with my two little brothers came out within 20 mins with full refund, fuel expenses and an apology

be firm and make yourself clear
Old 07 August 2018, 02:10 PM
rsjohn
Scooby Regular

I’ve spoken to citizens advice today, so I know my next process.

Its a bit difficult for me as I live on Isle of Wight so a ferry journey and then 75 more miles.

The sales place is tucked out the way in a small industrial estate so revisiting would make me nervous.

Im going to write my letter and add all pictures and correspondence, but before I send it I will phone them and speak to see if will refund amicably.

Im guessing they won’t tbh.

Trending Topics

Old 07 August 2018, 02:11 PM
rsjohn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by funkyrimpler
I bought a Porsche 964 from a car dealer near Stoke (now closed)...Looked great...anyway it kept leaking oil and you could smell burnt oil on the exhaust...i can't remember the exact cause but i think it was a heat exchanger cracked...After LOTS of aggro and being messed around they welded it..(just before the warranty expired).
Then a week or two later the gearbox started playing up..As a 'gesture of goodwill' (he'd already had the car in his garage for 10 weeks, burning up the warranty) he would inspect FOC..Turned out, the gearbox needed a rebuild..They wanted to charge me horrific money for it, and that's when the fun started...They had my car, my money and my gearbox in bits..
The owner refused to talk to me and referred me to the incredibly abrasive and ignorant mechanic..who i suspect was his business partner...
I eventually contacted CAB. CAB wrote a letter reminding him of consumer law..He ignored it.. They then put me into contact with Trading Standards. They wrote again and he said he'd work something out with me..he never called...Eventually they agreed to a discount....I wasn't interested.I said i wanted it fixed properly or cash back..Trading Standards wrote to them and also called them...The Stoke guy called me offering a percentage of my money back, no repair but gearbox back in the car and an agreement to keep my mouth shut...
I called the Trading Standards agent again...He paid them a visit the same day...

I received an aggressive phone call from the owner calling me all sorts, so i told him i was going to collect the refund in cash...

I rocked up the following day and it got a bit lively...The mechanic marched into the office too and was making his presence felt..I said that i would 'blah blah ' if i didn't get my money immediately...there was a stand off,
I was working the doors at weekends back in the day and knew a few useful people, and was no stranger to confrontation....so... i went back to my car and an intimidating work associate returned back to the office with me...

We had a short, frank exchange of words.

The safe was duly opened and monies returned in full...case closed.

Once trading standards are involved with the real possibility of court and as much negative publicity as you can muster, most traders will see reason...As long as you're firm, fair and in the right...
You don’t live down south do you lol? Sounds like I could probably use you and your buddy.
Old 07 August 2018, 04:14 PM
funkyrimpler
Scooby Regular

I'm from London but moved away unfortunately mate...

I've had two other what i would call 'severe' situations...

I took my MR2 Turbo to a recommded garage to have a few jobs done...I arrived unannounced to collect it because the job was running on and i discovered that it 'was a test drive' ...The lying scumbag gaffer then disappeared into his office to make a phone call....
It returned an hour later on the back of the garages flat bed truck, covered in mud and filth from the 'test drive'...I kicked off...
oddly enough, the car was then stolen from me a few days later..no sign of forced entry, immobiliser bypassed, steering lock undone, no alarm....Sadly i didn't have a tracker...I went to the garage who had worked on the car and the owner denied any knowledge but you could see the guilt on his face..I think they'd cloned the keys...

It was all very suspicious and led to a protracted insurance claim...Then the garage went out of business sometime later due to karma/unforeseen circumstances..

The other one was a 205 1.9Gti i had..I was charged with proprietary theft when i 'stole' it back because the garage refused to let me have it back after I refused to pay them because they damaged the car..I said i was happy to pay when they rectified the damage they had caused whilst in their 'care'...It dragged on and on...
This was after they'd fitted a clutch and incorrectly replaced the gearbox linkage, which fell off and stranded me at the roadside and then the clutch cable snapped because they hadn't replaced a rubber grommet in the bulkhead, thus sawing through the cable...An unskilled apprentice had obviously done the job...then the was the rocked cover pissing oil done the back of the engine because the idiot hadn't fitted a gasket...the panels were denting and scratched, interior filthy from oily clothes, torn drivers seat..the lacky actually began cleaning the leather with thinners whilst i was there!! It started stripping the dye from the leather!! The sunroof latch was broken, kerbed wheels blah blah

That ended up with me down the nick after i was pursued by the Police...The coppers were okay about it once i'd explained the full story.

I went down the Trading Standards route again, who were well aware of this particular clutch place, and also the rough arsed owner...They took action against him...He went out of business during the process and his premises was continuously getting vandalised..The huge windows would get put through and be boarded up...It looked really bad for customers..Then as soon as the boards were down, some ****** would do the place over again...I imagine his insurance went much higher than the value of the jobs he was over charging for....I heard his own car ended being damaged beyond repair...trading standards prevented him from owning another business...

I've always said that these garages should licenced because they can put people's lives at risk...I also think that car dealers should be held to much stricter levels of accountability..
Old 07 August 2018, 04:18 PM
funkyrimpler
Scooby Regular

Make sure you follow due process and get everything in writing. I would record any conversations. I would also be tempted to video any face to face interactions should you need the footage..Take advice on the ramifications of this though as you don't want to prejudice your case...
Be polite but firm... i always try to be friendly but I've found that some people mistake this for weakness so you need to be business like....

btw: my mate's nick name was "Mr. Horrible"...No debt too small....he looked like Lenny Maclean.
Old 07 August 2018, 04:46 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

The law is as follows:

wheather the garage like it or not they have to give you 3 months warranty on the car - anything that brakes in this time they have to fix for free unless it’s a consumable.
brakes, clutch etc.

they have to have 3 attempts at fixing the car before you can ‘reject the goods’

you could write them a letter saying they have 7 days to fix all the issues (sent recorded delivery)
but legally you have to get the car to them.

You need to call them and say the list of things that are wrong and that under consumer law they need to resolve it under the warranty.

hopefully you paid by credit card - pay for everything with credit card and pay the credit card off instantly (you get more protection with credit cards and if you pay it off instantly you don’t get the fees)

Dont tell them you are sending the letter as they can refuse to accept it if they know it’s coming and in court it’ll look like you didn’t send one.

edit: If you record conversations / video you need to tel them they are being recorded before being recorded otherwise it will go against you in court.

all you need to say is you’re calling off your office phone and all calls are recorded to protect both parties

Last edited by RobsyUK; 07 August 2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07 August 2018, 06:41 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

You have 30 days to return a faulty vehicle for a full refund if bought from a dealer.
Old 07 August 2018, 10:11 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Had an issue with fmic being fitted to my starlet gt
went to collect the car big piece cut out of the front bumper in the shape of a v.
garage told me that was only way the cooler would fit.
i asked why no one rang me to give me the option etc

left went to body shop new bumper he moved the intercooler bracket a few inches and it cleared perfect to need to cut anything

went back to the garage with the body shop repair bill
said id pay him less the difference of what I had to pay the bodyshop

he grabbed keys out of my ignition and we had a bit of a stand off it
got headed and I ended up thumping the ****e outta him

15 years later he walked into a motorfactor I was working in
it was awkward to say the least he had a big red face so did I , lol

Old 07 August 2018, 11:01 PM
funkyrimpler
Scooby Regular

haha..sometimes you have to laugh at stuff like that..it sounds like you were in the right though mate...even if it wasn't the most diplomatic way to resolve a dispute!
Old 09 August 2018, 01:52 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Any update John
Old 09 August 2018, 09:21 PM
rsjohn
Scooby Regular

The trader was more concerned with the fact they had paid a garage for work that wasn’t done over the fact they sold me a car that’s not fit for purpose and dangerous.

iv sent pics of my findings and he’s speaking with his legal team.
Old 10 August 2018, 12:03 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by rsjohn
The trader was more concerned with the fact they had paid a garage for work that wasn’t done over the fact they sold me a car that’s not fit for purpose and dangerous.

iv sent pics of my findings and he’s speaking with his legal team.
at any point during your conversation did he say to bring the car back for a refund or to sort it?

if not he’s just wasting time and messing you about I’d say
Old 10 August 2018, 12:18 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

30 days will be up if you don't pull your finger out.
Old 10 August 2018, 06:36 PM
rsjohn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZANY

at any point during your conversation did he say to bring the car back for a refund or to sort it?

if not he’s just wasting time and messing you about I’d say
In the convo yesterday, i said i want to reject the car and get a refund.

I still have 2 weeks.
Old 10 August 2018, 07:00 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

To follow a legal process the best thing is to go to the garage to let them try and solve it being either refund or repair , go with some one else don’t be aggressive but be firm and say what you want , what ever is agreed on is signed by those involved , for courts and or trading standards it helps a lot to show you have been reasonable and tried to resolve it , small claims court will deal with claims up to 10k£ and you can apply on line , helps to have trading standards in your side too
Old 29 August 2018, 06:52 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Any update op?
Old 30 August 2018, 08:50 AM
rsjohn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Any update op?
I spoke to them and said i wanted to return the car for refund, he said he would speak to his legal team and get back to me - he never did.

In the meantime i managed to locate the knocking (which was my main concern with the car), fix it and do some of the other issues.

Iv since emailed them saying iv not heard from them and iv had most of the repairs and work not carried out done, how ever the nearside alignment wont go anywhere near in spec so an arm or something is bend.

Iv said once i have sorted this i wil be sending them the bill.

Still no responce - so i gather that i will have to take them to court to get the money back (£1500ish).
Old 23 November 2018, 06:40 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Any more news op