Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advice on rejecting a new car after 6 months of problems

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2002, 08:07 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Folks

My mates purchased a VW Golf GT TDi approximately 6 months ago picked it up at dusk so was fairly dark and unable to check car over, couple of days later noticed white patchy sap like residue on the tail gate, bonnet and doors, an independent valeter polish car completely courtesy of VW.

Three months later noticed front passenger door is a completely different colour to rest of car, rear seats creased on top by parcel shelf, front seats also creased and starting to come away at head rest seams noticed severe pitting marks on roof and paint work is rough all over, contacted VW and have been waiting 3 months for parts for seats, car is going back to dealer for this warranty work and for paint to be looked at this coming Friday but he would like to know where he stands in respects to returning if not happy with work carried out or suggested work.

Car has been looked after imaculately washed every weekend and has covered 4,000 miles.

Any advice appreciated

Regards
Si
Old 15 March 2002, 08:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3 Months to notice that the door is a different shade?? If that is coming from the owner then I would hazard a guess that its not noticeable to anyone else!!

I find it amazing that it took 3 months to spot anything - if it took less, say 2 weeks, then he should have rejected it then.

Do NOT accept work to be carried out or, as I understand it, you lose your chance to reject the car - as you have allowed the dealer the chance to rectify.

The moral is to always reject anything as SOON as possible - do NOT take any offers to put things right (like paint etc)

Pete

Old 15 March 2002, 09:14 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Hey Pete thats sensible coming from you.

As for the VW. Why not just ring either a solicitor or for free advice your local trading standards people. You'll be surprised how good they are.

Chip.

Old 15 March 2002, 11:55 PM
stephen30
Scooby Regular

Auto Express is the place to help. The give loads of advice and usually get involved and kick bottom.
Try there website http://www.autoexpress.co.uk

Steve

PS Not on payroll
Old 16 March 2002, 10:37 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Its a bit of a grey area, but I was under the impression that the supplying Dealer has to have a chance of putting any faults and imperfections right.

Although in saying that VW's aftersales isn't as good as it use to be....

I'd be very interested to know the outcome.

Nath
Old 16 March 2002, 07:04 PM
Luke
BANNED

the dealer has a right to make good any problems.
Old 17 March 2002, 05:50 PM
JimmyY
Scooby Regular

It's a minefield this area. I took delivery of a new Zetec-S last August and it had defects in the paint (didn't notice when i first picked it up because it was a wet day! ). ANyway, took it back within 2 weeks of first delivery and they re-sprayed the whole rear end and made a botched job.

Took it back and then they wanted to respray the entire car. At that stage I took action to reject the vehicle. After 5 months they made an offer that really took the pi$$ (they'd have paid off the finance, not given any money back, then re-sold it for more than the oustanding finance... great so they make a profit on the car twice!!). Told them where to stick that offer then heard nothing more. It was only on getting a solicitor involved, threatening court and sorting out an independent inspection that got them to make a better offer. Still wasn't/isn't the full amount (still waiting for the bloody cheque) but it's taken 7+ months to date.

I don't think you'll have much luck rejecting the car with the dealer after this long. BAsically, you'll need the car independently inspected (£180 from the RAC) to get the evidence to go to court, but i think you still need to have given them sufficient opportunity to put the defects right. If you want to get a solicitor involved, expect it to cost around £200 for him to correspond with them. Court... if the amount in dispute is more than £5k it can't go to small claims so expect it to cost in the region of £3500 (assuming you don't end up getting them to pay).

If it did go to court, i think it'd be a case of proving that the dealer has been unreasonable, and if he hasn't been given the option of putting things right then....

All I can say is, this last 7 months was supposed to have been stress free and it has been the complete opposite. I'm just hoping my subaru ownership will be more pleasurable.

Regards
Jim
Old 22 March 2002, 09:41 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Cheers for repies folks, car went back today had seat refurbed not a good job done off it at all, seat is now going to be replaced from a show room car. Paint work has been looked at and is in the process of being evaluated, auto express have been spoken to and informed to make customer complaint and to keep them notified of any developements.

Cheers
Si
Old 22 March 2002, 10:20 PM
JimmyY
Scooby Regular

Cool

Fester went back to Ford last night, scoob arrives tomorrow Hooray!

Jim

PS Hope it all gets sorted Si, keep the pressure on!

PPS Any fuel shortages tomorrow will be caused by me playing with my new toy

[Edited by JimmyY - 3/22/2002 10:23:15 PM]