ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Private plate advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2018, 07:17 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Private plate advice needed

Mods if you want to move this post then no worries, just thought it would get a little more coverage in here. Basically I need some help, my partners father has a private plate which he's looking to sell.

It reads DEL 18OY

Where is the best place to get a plate valuation can anyone recommend someone or would know how to price it.

Best Regards Steve
Old 24 May 2018, 08:02 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Steve,

I am a firm believer that it is only worth what someone is prepared to pay.

I have valued a few plates online several times, and the commission they take is quite harsh, meaning you actually get next to nothing in return for a cheap plate.

Plates I checked were R5 FTO (on a Mitsubishi), and RS D9Y (on a RS turbo), and most recently C RO8 DAY which I am keeping. The first two were quoted at around £400 max, so I left them on the cars when I sold them to make more desirable.

However the plate your father in-law is selling is quite desirable, so I would put it on eBay mate. I would attempt two sections, memorabilia and Cherished plates. As for the valuation - He must have a price in mind, if not check online and add circa 30% to sell private - https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour....0.kjxrDpZpgEE

Robert
Old 24 May 2018, 03:15 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

You can get a quote on Regtransfers.co.uk
Old 24 May 2018, 08:42 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Day
Hi Steve,

I am a firm believer that it is only worth what someone is prepared to pay.

I have valued a few plates online several times, and the commission they take is quite harsh, meaning you actually get next to nothing in return for a cheap plate.

Plates I checked were R5 FTO (on a Mitsubishi), and RS D9Y (on a RS turbo), and most recently C RO8 DAY which I am keeping. The first two were quoted at around £400 max, so I left them on the cars when I sold them to make more desirable.

However the plate your father in-law is selling is quite desirable, so I would put it on eBay mate. I would attempt two sections, memorabilia and Cherished plates. As for the valuation - He must have a price in mind, if not check online and add circa 30% to sell private - https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour....0.kjxrDpZpgEE

Robert
Thanks Rob that's great help. I'm not sure if he has a price in mind as how do you come up with a price for it. As you say it's worth what someone is willing to pay. I'm sure he'd like thousands of pounds for it, does it mean he'd get it probably not. I'll take a look at those links and see what it comes back with
Old 24 May 2018, 08:43 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam
You can get a quote on Regtransfers.co.uk
Thanks I'll take a look