Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Private Plate & a private sale..... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2003, 01:37 PM
mike16v
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Someone is coming to see my car on Thursday to buy it and I have a private plate on the car which I want to keep...

How do I do this at short notice? The DVLA basically told me on the phone that if I sell the car, I sell the rights to the plate to the new car owner????

I wanted to put the plate on retention but that takes 7 days + and I can't wait that long.... I have 3 days....

If I transfer the plate, or apply for retention, the V5 log book will have to be sent away.... that will take a week to come back ad who will buy a car with no V5 book???

WHAT CAN I DO?? Other than transfer the plate onto another car ASAP!!

HELP!!!

PLEASE!

Thanks
Mike
Old 22 September 2003, 01:44 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

If you cant physically get it done in time. Could you get whoever buys the car to sign something that says you are entitled to the plate after the deal is done?
Old 22 September 2003, 01:46 PM
petersen
Scooby Regular

Mike,

I did this last week. Sold my car @ the weekend, so needed to get my plate off.

DO NOT transfer onto another car. I takes weeks.

What you need to do is put the plate on retention in person at your local DVLA office. You will need your V5 and cash or Chq (no cards taken) and the tax disc from the car. You will pay £100 plus, but they will issue you with a new plate number (normally the cars' original plate number) and provide you with a form that you can take to Halfords to get the new plates made up. They will provide you with a new tax disc there and then.

The actual V5 in your name and the new plate will take about 4 weeks to come to you, but you can still sell the car. Take a copy of the transfer docs to give to the new buyer and tell him/her that you will fill in and send off the new V5 form when it comes in. This should not be a problem for the new owner.

Stuart
Old 22 September 2003, 01:47 PM
mike16v
Scooby Regular

good thinking.... I'll keep that as a back up. I know the car I want next, so perhaps I put down a deposit and do the transfer. that way the plate is secured.

I could keep a photo copy of the V5 doc? And they will see the old MOT's, service recepits etc so they may be happy?

If there is really nothing I can do, I'll phone the guy that is coming to see it and explain the situation to see what they are happy with....
Old 22 September 2003, 02:05 PM
mike16v
Scooby Regular

Just spoken to the dealer who have the car I am interested in....

They say to sell the car as it is incl the plate, but write a recepit that says "car sold by xxx to yyy for £xyz, reg no xxx123 not included in sale. registration documents will be forwarded to the seller once the transfer has been completed."

Then I go to see this dealer who transfers the plate off my old car onto the new one, and within 48 hours I get the green slip off the V5 to forward to the new owner of my old car who can apply for a new V5 reg doc, which will have my orig plate on it...

Sounds very complicated, but I'll phone the new buyer to let him know so that he is not put off at the time....
Old 22 September 2003, 02:19 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

I left mine on the car while it was viewed so i still had the V5.

When a sale was agreed he paid for and took the car (with a signed reciept made out) and filled in the new keeper section on the V5- but didnt send it off-instead he left it with me.

Next day i drove to the local DVLA office and transferred the plate directly onto my new car.
The old reg for the (now sold) car was reissued and the V5 was sent off by the dvla to be amended with both new(old) reg number and new keeper details -and was subsequently posted direct to the new keeper by DVLA..

One solution- and it worked very well for me.

N>B- personally i wouldnt ever sign my plate over to someone else- with or without a receipt- especially if its a valuable one....

[Edited by Freak - 9/22/2003 2:20:52 PM]
Old 22 September 2003, 02:36 PM
mike16v
Scooby Regular

It is VERY valuable to me...

I will go with the written receipt idea, and give him the service history etc to take away, and I will transfer the plate within 3 or 4 days and then send him the new reg docs...