Sponsored by:

Why?

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2001, 12:16 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

My current watch list is looking for cars that overtake on country roads and I estimate less than 50% actually change down gear to do it, most just floor it in 5th gear and hope for the best. Watch for that tell-take puff of smoke on gear change, it rarely appears.....wish my motor could safely overtake in 5th from 50MPH.

Regards
Cammy
Old 22 May 2001, 12:44 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had some woman shaking her fist at me whilst I rode my motorcycle past within the speed limit?

I nearly stopped and was tempted to ask "What is your problem apart from your huge ****" but decided that might not help the situation.

Also you overtake and there is a car coming the other way which is at the other end of the straight and you blast past and are back on your own side of the road with plenty of time (seriously plenty) and the car coming the other way flashes! I guess they assume it will take you ages to overtake.

I think you are right Jay they judge it by their standards and they don't know any different from 0-60 in a week and 3miles long stopping distances...
Old 22 May 2001, 08:50 AM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Driving to work this morning, get stuck behind a Mitsi Shogun doing about 40mph on a national speed limit road. Not only this but he keeps washing his windscreen, which of course keeps washing MY windscreen. Anyway, I got a little tired of this and when the coast was clear, did a nice third gear overtake and went to zoom off into the distance. I happened to glance in my mirror after overtaking this guy only to find him gesticulating at me and flashing his headlights! WHY WHY WHY!?! What did I do wrong? I didn't endanger anyone and maintained a speed of 65-70mph after the overtake. What is wrong with these people?!?!?

Karlos
Old 22 May 2001, 09:00 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Never ceases to amaize me how many people get the ar$e when overtaken safely.

It has never bothered me if people want to travel faster than i do then fine, let em.
Old 22 May 2001, 09:13 AM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Maybe you annoyed him by waking him up before his alarm went off
Old 22 May 2001, 09:29 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Angry

Perhaps he realy did own the road

David
Old 22 May 2001, 09:30 AM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Red face

I give up too. Got flashed at and had a fist shaken at me for going round a motorway roundabout - when it was my right of way (he was just sitting there waiting to pull out) - completely stumped by that one
Old 22 May 2001, 10:11 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Smile

I prefer to look at it from the 'ignorance is bliss' angle - not in terms of driver education (in that case ignorance is accidents) but in terms driving a performance car on a regular basis.

I think that the "I would never have done that in my car, you lunatic" factor creeps in, for example Karlos that Shogun driver may have thought that you must have had one hell of a run-up to overtake at the speed that you did, (TED means nothing to him) and you would have been taking a risk if you had done the manouvre in a Shogun, for example.

Kim, roundabouts and Scoobs? hmm I doubt you were pottering round, if last Sunday was anything to go by probably way within the capabilities of your car, but in terms of 'Mr Fist' he would never go round at that speed! - too right if he's sat in Fiesta popular plus or something...

Relax guys, I know I'm a responsible driver, other peoples misconceptions are nothing to do with me

All IMHO natch

Justin
Old 22 May 2001, 11:26 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Angry

Get this a lot. ***** driving below the limit, on nice dry sunny days. Really annoys me. Cops do us for going over the limit, why not do people for going UNDER the limit, as this causes people to overtake, thus putting themseleves at risk. OK, people will argue, there's no need to overtake, just sit back and chill.

But why should we? If we drive 10mph over the limit all hell breaks loose, however, if you drive 10mph under the limit, you don't get done. This driving causes congestion, and driver stress, well it does in me.

I'm a fraidy cat, so I don't overtake too often, might have something to do with the fact that people tend to pull out right in front of me when I overtake, so this has dented the old confidence a bit. But if I'm stuck behind a prat like this the old red mist does come down.

If someone said 'I don't like driving above 40 on this road' then in my opinion they should not be driving. I'm talking about normal roads here, eg; A21, not country lanes.

grrrr, this issuse really gets me going.
Old 22 May 2001, 11:34 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Markus,

it is a maximum limit remember, not a target.

Im all for making it a target though, where failure to make acceptable progress is as badly frowned upon as going too fast.

Please consider though. How many old people do you know that drive well below the limit?
You are asking them to drive faster vastly increasing the risk of an error, or to give up their licence and therefore their freedom.
Which do you think they are going to do?
Then what will happen, yep Ins premiums up more due to increased prangs.

No win situation until (and here come the good old chestnuts again)
1) driver education is improved (too much loss or revenue to really want to do this one)
2) regular re-testing for all road users is introduced (coming slowly)

robski
Old 22 May 2001, 11:45 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Used to cop that in Australia all the time. In Greece however they all move out the way if they see you coming and give you room to overtake. The cars may make 6 lanes out of 3lanes in Athens but on motorways and country roads they move over. In OZ to many road hogs. Overtake and you get the finger salute, horns, lights, etc.

WREXY.
Old 22 May 2001, 02:05 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

robski,
good points.

about the 'old people' though, as it does tend to be this group that are the major offendors. You say they drive slow and if they speed up they risk an accident, this is why they should not be driving in the first place. If you do not have the cognitive skills, or physical skills to drive near, let's say 10 - 15 mph under the limit, then you should not be driving.

My gramps is a top chap, love him to bits, and he loves his little car, but he really should not be driving, I've been in it when he's driven and it scares me. I have talked to him about not driving, cos he's not really up to it. He understands, but it would mean a loss of independance, and I can kind of accept that, maybe better public transport would help out but I doubt it.

I do agree that driver (re)education is needed. Maybe retake test at 60 - 80 and if you fail then you can't drive.

on my stretch of A21 (pembury bypass) an old person, man I think, in advertantly turned onto the wrong carrigeway and caused the death of at least 2 other people. It was claimed the driver could not see the, highly visible signs.

Then there is the Stop! Police Action, type footage of a confused old lady who was driving the wrong way down the motorway, completely oblivious to the danger she was causing herself and others. What did she get? a warning. Typical, she should have had he licence taken away, and be banned from driving for rest of her life. If I'd have done the same thing I would be in a whole heap of trouble because I'm not a doddering old fool and shoul know better, and we can't be seen to be hard on old people.