Legacy GT - Is there another forum?

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2001, 01:42 PM
consultant
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

I've been looking to get some Q's answered about the Legacy GT. There's almost nothing to be found on the web regarding the Legacy and even less on the GT. I figured that since the Legacy GT is a performance model(comparatively speaking), that this might be a good place to start.

So please don't flame me, if I'm in the wrong place just lemme know, and I'll go elsewhere

Also if anyone has any good pointers regarding Legacy GT, I'll be glad to know about them.

Cheers

T.
Old 21 May 2001, 03:49 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Smile

As a GTB owner I've looked for the same thing myself....and I'm still looking. Perhaps we should set up camp here. (after all it is Scoobynet not Imprezanet!)
Old 21 May 2001, 04:01 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

I should think most of the c*** we talk on this BBS is relevant to Legacys as well, so suggest you stay here.
Old 21 May 2001, 04:09 PM
consultant
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the help,

I'm interested in finding out more about the GT-B power stats, as the newer models seem to be ever so slightly castrated? What years were the GTB's made in, and why is there such disparity in the pricing, I've seen same/same GTBs for sale for as low as 7k and as high as 13k, same year, same spec, similar mileage?

Who are the best insurers for GT-B's?

Were the GTB's based on a Imprezza engine? if so, what are the tweaking options.

Sorry about all the Q's, I just wanna make sure I buy the right vehicle

Cheers

T.
Old 21 May 2001, 04:48 PM
Subie Gal
Scooby Regular

Old 21 May 2001, 07:41 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

theer's good reason for the price differences.

most people/dealers don't know the difference between a GT and a GTB, so they are all expensive as each other.

They are relativelay unheard of in the UK so a few people buy them in cheap and try to double their money. Or have bought nearly new and not reconned on the huge depriciation these models have in the first 1-2years.

GTB's are from 94 onwards. Manual, autos and year will effected the power output.
Late 96 models saw power rise to 280PS and in manual form will shock a few people, even the auto isn't slow.

visit

intcarimports.demon.co.uk that's where I got mine from.
Old 21 May 2001, 07:51 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Spec sheet of a NZ owner's Legacy GT-B at:
Old 21 May 2001, 10:29 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Smile

If you want to find a good selection try
Old 21 May 2001, 11:12 PM
consultant
Scooby Newbie

That's great info from everyone, thanks.

So the next Q has to be: How do I make sure I nail one of the "high power" beasties. I'm new at this Scooby stuff, and if some of the dealers don't know the diff, how can I be sure?

Any tips on what to look out for when buying (a freind of mine who owns an Imprezza blew out his turbo and had to get it replaced) is this something that happens often.

Assuming I find the one I'm looking for, what's a good bet for insurance, I got my first quote today for 800 ish quid fully comp from Adrian Flux, are they competetive?

Cheers Everyone.

If everyones car buying experience was this well informed, I think we'd all be doing more of it.

Cheers

T.
Old 22 May 2001, 01:38 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

check out the legacy b4 forum on egroups (same as yahoo groups) at:
Old 22 May 2001, 02:00 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

T,

The GT-Bs from '95 to '98 and from '98 to '01 are all twin turbos rated at 280PS (manual) or 260PS (auto). These figures are obtainable on 100RON fuel so will likely be a bit less on UK fuel. Best to run them on Super Unleaded (SUL) 97RON if you can find it with added octane booster for track days or prolonged high-speed runs.

You only need to lift the bonnet to see whether it's a twin turbo - they're quite evident towards the back of the engine bay and there's also a sign near the front of the engine that says "two stage twin turbo".

I've only ever heard of turbos going bang on Imprezas which have been uprated by modifying/changing the ECU for higher revs/greater boost, free-flow exhausts, etc., which allows the single turbo to spin faster and longer than design. Twin turbos are near impossible to tune (the ECU has been described as the work of a genius) and the turbos, being sequential, work less hard than a single turbo anyway. My RS has almost 70k miles on the clock, no nasty noises from the engine, doesn't burn oil, etc. ....

I'm insured through Bennetts Elite (0990 202090) with Norwich Union for £623 this year (full NCD, no points, me + Mrs me, good risks basically).

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Brian
Old 22 May 2001, 02:15 PM
Grant.revan
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by pwebb:
<B>check out the legacy b4 forum on egroups (same as yahoo groups) at:
Old 22 May 2001, 02:20 PM
Grant.revan
Scooby Regular

Oh and I forgot to mention - Insurance from Hyperformance is £900 a year with full NCB. I have shopped around and have not found anything cheaper for the B4. The GT/B may be less. They want a thatcham fitted but not tracker. Some will give you a bit more off if you fit tracker but it costs more in the long run.

Great link follows -