Dash light issue

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2018, 06:25 AM
sam2898
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash light issue

Hi all
i have just purchased a 2004 impreza and i was wondering if anyone on here can tell me if the check engine light/engine managment light should come on when turning ignition on? As mine does not light up at all, so making me wonder if the bulb has gone or the guy that sold the car has tampered with it! any advice appreciated
thanks in advance
sam
Old 13 May 2018, 07:42 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Probably popped the bulb as he couldn’t afford the lambda

2nd thing I always check when purchasing a car is the dashlights...

1st one is to make sure car is left cold overnight and not started till I arrive orelse the seller will be paying for my time and fuel...

I’ve got a sti speedo blue face dccd you can have at £70 delivered if you need one
Old 13 May 2018, 07:59 AM
sam2898
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for you response,
proppa rooky mistake, i bought the car from a trader, im not familier with subarus so i did not check the dash lights, as all looked ok and the car sounded good and drove so well i had to buy it,
is this a big issue is my next question? Is it best i replace the bulb in the dash 1st and see if it lights up?
Will be getting him to fix this if its faulty
Old 13 May 2018, 10:02 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Luckily buying from a dealer you get 3 months warranty by law.
if the engine light comes on within that time they have to fix it for free.
The only fault they don’t have to fix are consumable related. Brakes, clutch etc
Old 13 May 2018, 01:26 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

It may be worth bringing the EM lamp issue up with them, in case they say your messing has caused X or Y after.
Old 13 May 2018, 04:14 PM
sam2898
Scooby Newbie

I have spoken with the dealer and he told me to take it back to him to have a computer check it out,
i have already had a mate plug a computer into the car it has come up with no faults so i spose that is a good thing,
I have also taken the dash out and checked the bulbs out, and it looks like the engine management light is soldered to the circuit board on the other side of the board so it is quite difficult to change compared to the other bulbs
does anyone have an idea how i can get this light working again?
Old 13 May 2018, 05:01 PM
darrenk1987
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Luckily buying from a dealer you get 3 months warranty by law.
if the engine light comes on within that time they have to fix it for free.
The only fault they don’t have to fix are consumable related. Brakes, clutch etc
it''s 6 months they have to fix a fault unless they can prove the fault wasn't their at purchase..

after 6 months it's then down to the buyer to prove the fault was there at time of purchase.

as you said they won't fix anything deemed wear and tear.

Trending Topics

Old 13 May 2018, 05:07 PM
sam2898
Scooby Newbie

The dealer has given me a 1 month engine and gearbox warranty, he never said anything about 3 or 6 months warranty, but thanks for letting me know, the car is an 04 with 115k miles on it, so i did not think they would give a warranty that long!
Old 13 May 2018, 07:56 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by sam2898
The dealer has given me a 1 month engine and gearbox warranty, he never said anything about 3 or 6 months warranty, but thanks for letting me know, the car is an 04 with 115k miles on it, so i did not think they would give a warranty that long!
If he's a dealer as above doesn't matter what he says.
Old 14 May 2018, 02:59 AM
darrenk1987
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by sam2898
They don't "give" you a warranty as such.. they will try to sell you a 6 month or 12 month warranty with the vehicle in the hope you will use that if anything goes wrong.

If something goes wrong within the first 30 days of purchase you can legally ask for rejection of the car and your money refunded.

in fact it's your consumer rights that they are legally bound to within the 6 months from purchase.

if anything goes wrong that is not a consumable wear and tear item they have to sort it or give you a replacement vehicle if the repair cost is not viable.

read here "rejecting a secondhand vehicle"

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-second-hand-car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rights
Old 14 May 2018, 12:58 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

If the OBD2 isn't showing any faults, I wouldn't worry about it. I've changed the bulbs several times on mine and never noticed a unique engine management bulb. I'd just swap in a second hand speedo first to see if it's purely a bulb issue.
Old 14 May 2018, 01:03 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
If the OBD2 isn't showing any faults, I wouldn't worry about it. I've changed the bulbs several times on mine and never noticed a unique engine management bulb. I'd just swap in a second hand speedo first to see if it's purely a bulb issue.
That is OK unless the Codes have been erased.
Old 14 May 2018, 01:25 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

If there is a persistent fault though, the error codes will return.

Also, if you erased the codes, then the check engine light won't trigger - so what would be the point in tampering with it?
Old 14 May 2018, 05:07 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
I'd just swap in a second hand speedo first to see if it's purely a bulb issue.
I'll second this.

I had a problem with the ambient temperature sensor reading on my 07 instrument cluster ... the reading would be consistently out by 6 degrees, although it would still fluctuate in line with the outside temp. I replaced the temperature sensor a the front of the car but this made no difference. A couple of people suggested it might be the module on the cluster which "computes" the temperature and displays it, so I purchased a cheap second hand 07 speedo from a breakers, plugged it in and voila, the ambient temperature displayed correctly.

The second hand instrument cluster revealed that there was an issue with the original cluster (the ambient temperature module) and proved to be a good diagnosis tool.