Sponsored by:

Fab shop / respray cost?

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2018, 10:41 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fab shop / respray cost?

As per my project thread im getting a bit down at the moment with how the Scoob is (or not) progressing. Its in dire need of a respray and rear arch rust removal... as well as some basic fabbing for brackets attaching front bumper to wings..

I'm more than happy to do the work myself but i dont have the tools and/or fully know how to go about it.. Pretty hard work on your own learning from scratch (and funding)

Is there anyone on here in the Northwest who fancies helping me along with my project? I can provide most tools just not welder and spray kit, help on your other cars, banter, a riding buddy if any of you ride a 600+ and also as a thankyou trackdays in it whenever you want! I'd just need space / tools and your knowhow - ill be the grunt.. Possibly this sounds cheeky as **** but worth a try as when i briefly drove it last month brought a massive smile back to my face which has been missing..

Or is the simple answer the best - suck it up put it on hold and save up and get a professional to do it?

Any answers appreciated. Maybe some hard truths are needed.
Old 08 April 2018, 08:05 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've previously used a ramp hire place in Milton Keynes when doing a few jobs in my cars.
It's a fully equipped garage with mechanics on hand if you need an extra hand or advice.
This place is is Warrington and looks similar:

http://www.ufixautos.co.uk/phone/index.html

Might be worth giving them a call and explaining what you need.
Old 09 April 2018, 11:48 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the input mate - definitely something i will look into... Though it might take more than a day on the ramp - is there options to book weekends or?
Old 09 April 2018, 05:25 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Been looking for one of those for a while but closer to West Midlands.

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart
I've previously used a ramp hire place in Milton Keynes when doing a few jobs in my cars.
It's a fully equipped garage with mechanics on hand if you need an extra hand or advice.
This place is is Warrington and looks similar:

http://www.ufixautos.co.uk/phone/index.html

Might be worth giving them a call and explaining what you need.
Old 09 April 2018, 05:30 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Webster
Cheers for the input mate - definitely something i will look into... Though it might take more than a day on the ramp - is there options to book weekends or?
I've only my experience of lift off ramps in Milton Keynes, but they had longer term projects in their shop.
If you spoke to them and were honest about what you need then they may listen. They basically want to maximise the amount of time the ramps are used, so if you offer a good chunk of time up front they may be willing to come to some sort of arrangement.
Old 10 April 2018, 01:04 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

yeh makes sense.. I dunno how id go about spraying on the ramps though? I can take it all back to bare metal (all the prep work) myself now probably but cutting out old /welding in new arches and spraying is where im stuck :/

Need to find a lockup! ha
Old 10 April 2018, 07:30 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Have you thought about applying to a car rescue program

I'm in the same boat, went to one place and quoted me £950 to cut and weld one arch and clean up the other. He checked all around the inside of the arch and said it was solid. Still think it's too high.

Then spoke to another guy in town who laughed when I told him how much. He said he didn't think it needed a new piece welding in and said he could do it for a fraction of the price.

I just want someone in between. I'd be happy with £500. Think someone on here got the back inner and outer arches done for £1500.