ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Typical rebuild cost?

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2018, 08:14 PM
Jay kay
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Typical rebuild cost?

My JDM blob STI recently had a hissy fit and it seems will need some major surgery.

The garage say a compression test showed around 110 to 115 on three of the cylinders, but cylinder 2 is down to 30.

It had a cambelt change about 60 miles before it gave up and upon checking this it appears to have jumped a tooth so it may be linked and while the car runs like poo it does still run and sounds horrible.

It may be a co-incidence and I don't want to immediately start laying blame, presumably a strip down will show if the belt had caused pistons and valve to hit, but right now I just need to know roughly what this will cost me it. The garage have been fair so far and said if it is a duff valve hen it's their fault, however as all cylinders are losing compression it may just be engine failure.

I'm no mechanic so don't really know what's what. Worse case is honing bores, oversized pistons and god knows what else so anyone with experience, roughly what will that cost?

The car has only done 62,000 miles so I didn't expect this. This is the reason I didn't buy a 2.5!
Old 15 March 2018, 08:36 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Probably getting on for £5k including VAT for a decent forged rebuild.
Maybe a duff idler or tensioner has caused this, but these really should be changed at cambelt in my opinion. If they weren't, then they should've been (ideally)
Number 2 doesn't sound good.

JDM 2.0 going home after 62k miles? Unlikely if good service history, oil / filter changes etc.

Get the garage to re-time the belt......go from there.
Old 15 March 2018, 08:51 PM
Jay kay
Scooby Regular

When I had the belt done, they replaced tensioner, pulleys waterpump etc so everything was new.

Upon returning to garage they said that as timing had gone out they replaced the tensioner and popped on another brand new belt but it still ran poorly so a compression test was done. The first new tensioner may well have been duff or incorrectly fitted so I assume the only way to tell anything is to tear it apart and if valves are smashed then its a timing issue and the garage's fault. If valves remain fine and its something like ringland failure then I assume it must just be a coincidence? I'm not overly mechanically minded so don't know where I stand. I want to be fair and if it has just let go then I have to foot the bill I guess.

I don't need to go forged as the car is quick enough as standard, I just want it put back together and running right. I assume non-forged and just OEM parts will be cheaper?

Last edited by Jay kay; 15 March 2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 15 March 2018, 09:10 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

You b mad building that with oe parts mate
Very competitive prices 2.1 strokers you can buy now don’t cost and arm
A a leg
Old 15 March 2018, 09:44 PM
Jay kay
Scooby Regular

What sort of figures are you thinking raggy?
Old 16 March 2018, 12:31 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

My advice, find a tuner your happy with, discuss options and costs, agree the build spec and pick it up when it's done.
Old 16 March 2018, 03:18 AM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

If I would do everything from the beginning again I think I would go for one of these factory blocks https://importcarparts.co.uk/parts-i...y=&searchPart=
Old 16 March 2018, 07:53 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay kay
When I had the belt done, they replaced tensioner, pulleys waterpump etc so everything was new.

Upon returning to garage they said that as timing had gone out they replaced the tensioner and popped on another brand new belt but it still ran poorly so a compression test was done. The first new tensioner may well have been duff or incorrectly fitted so I assume the only way to tell anything is to tear it apart and if valves are smashed then its a timing issue and the garage's fault. If valves remain fine and its something like ringland failure then I assume it must just be a coincidence? I'm not overly mechanically minded so don't know where I stand. I want to be fair and if it has just let go then I have to foot the bill I guess.

I don't need to go forged as the car is quick enough as standard, I just want it put back together and running right. I assume non-forged and just OEM parts will be cheaper?

So you've been back since the timing belt was originally done and they've confirmed it's jumped a tooth? I think that's enough evidence to suggest they've not fitted it correctly.........unless they're trying to suggest the timing is out by a tooth because of some other failure within the engine.
Old 16 March 2018, 08:49 AM
Jay kay
Scooby Regular

Correct. They fitted new belt and all the other bits. It drove fine for around 60 miles then suddenly started juddering violently on the motorway. I brought it home and didn't drive it until I got it trailered back to the garage.

Garage checked timing belt and said it appears to have jumped a tooth so they replaced belt and tensioner and hoped that would be the end of it. Upon startup it's sounds like a dog so that's when they compression tested it. 3 cylinders are getting low and one has virtually no compression.
Old 17 March 2018, 11:50 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2.0 JDM Blob (and newer) has the Hyperpeutic type pistons similar to the 2.5's and are known for the same ringland issues that can occur............

would have to be inspected but IMO 1 tooth out doesn't sound like anything that would cause such a low compression issue