Lifting on the rear Diff??

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2001, 12:57 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Just had my tyres replaced at Headley Tyres Newbury

The lads (kids) lifted the car up on the rear diff - I asked if they always do that they said yes its ok mate!!??

IS IT??

ALSO, you may wish to learn that I do NOT recomend Headley Tyres - cheap, yes - but what I saw going on there as 6 16year old kids played around fitting tyres beggars belief.

I followed my wheels and tyres around, to make sure they were cared for - my families lives depend upon these pieces of rubber!!

They crashed a clients door onto the post - knew they did it but just laughed. Had a nice game throwing valves around at each other, mine included!! nudging the lad doing the balancing, etc. etc.

A bit of fooling around is fine but NOT in a tyre bay - there was no supervision at all - in the past there was an adult around to keep them in check, but not this time.

Oh, yes, and they call Subaru - U R A BUS!!!
I thought that quite good actually!! ha ha

Pete
Old 21 May 2001, 01:09 PM
ed the dead
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pay peanuts, get monkeys
Old 21 May 2001, 01:14 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Pete,

Don't worry about them lifting the car by the rear diff. That's what it's for, after all

Raymond.
Old 21 May 2001, 04:05 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Talking

Phew thanks!!!!!

I thought it was designed to put some form of gearing in - bloody clever Subaru to give such a substantial lifting point!

Pete
Old 21 May 2001, 04:18 PM
bruce
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi PSLewis would you mind telling me which tyres you bought and how much? as my recent WRX upgrade will need 4 new tyres before I pick it up, the dealer (local to Headley Tyres) has asked me which I would prefer.

Thanks in advance
Old 21 May 2001, 06:13 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Cool

Pete......Just spoke to my son, Who is a mecanhic, He says IF the rear diff is made of aliminum (which I'm not sure it is) It is a big no, no, If it is a steal one a block of wood should be put in place before the car is lifted. As for their arseing around he says you should contact their head office cos a customer could get hurt or as you said a car will be damaged, Then try proving it happened whilst they had it.
Cheers
Colin
Old 21 May 2001, 06:36 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Re: "A bit of fooling around is fine but NOT in a tyre bay - there was no supervision at all - in the past there was an adult around to keep them in check, but not this time."

Lighten up pete... life's not there to be upset at... its to short to not have a laff at.

Old 21 May 2001, 11:46 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well, as for lightening up - I reckon I am about the biggest clown on here! BUT I do take exception to people pi55ing about with safety items, I dont know but maybe it has something to do with the fact that I work around Nuclear Warheads!!! NOW, you dont want me throwing the detonator over to Joey boy and nudging ole' billy bob while he is screwing the bit that goes BANG down now do you??

I bought the Michelins in the end, pilots? HXMM's or something like that - came to about £375 anyways.

Pete